Recently finished books?

Stevie B

Current Member
?? The Copenhagen Trilogy - Tove Ditlevsen ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I wish I could meet Tove and give her a hug. This shows how much your upbringing shapes you. Heartbreaking that the book ends with Tove recovering from her addiction but in reality she died from overdosis.
Glad to hear you liked this one so much as it is up next on my reading list (or at least Childhood is, the first book in the trilogy). I also just purchased Ditlevsen's short story collection, The Trouble with Happiness, and I read the first entry. That story brought to mind the writing of Lucia Berlin, another troubled author whose work I admire. Unlike Ditlevsen, however, Berlin didn't earn wide acclaim until after she died.

1668546092145.png 1668546148470.png
Tove Ditlevsen and Lucia Berlin

Last edited:

alik-vit

Reader
?? The Copenhagen Trilogy - Tove Ditlevsen ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I wish I could meet Tove and give her a hug. This shows how much your upbringing shapes you. Heartbreaking that the book ends with Tove recovering from her addiction but in reality she died from overdosis.
She committed suicide, it was overdosis of sleeping pills, I believe. Anyway, it's really great read and I'm happy that you like it too! Try her novel "The Faces". It's true masterpiece.

Andrew

?? The Birds - Tarjei Vesaas ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Brother and sister live together in the countryside of Norway. He seems to have an intelectual disability which makes him act as a child. Hege, the sister, frequently loses her temper because of his incessant questioning. A third person arrives and stays in between brother and sister. All hell breaks loose. One of the saddest things I read in a long time. Yu Hua would like this. Made me cry.
This book ranks among my all-time favourites. A poignant, heartbreaking story told in simple but beautiful prose.

lucasdiniz

Reader
Glad to hear you liked this one so much as it is up next on my reading list (or at least Childhood is, the first book in the trilogy). I also just purchased Ditlevsen's short story collection, The Trouble with Happiness, and I read the first entry. That story brought to mind the writing of Lucia Berlin, another troubled author whose work I admire. Unlike Ditlevsen, however, Berlin didn't earn wide acclaim until after she died.

View attachment 1994 View attachment 1995
Tove Ditlevsen and Lucia Berlin
I actually used to own a short story collection of Lucia Berlin, I might have read one or two stories. I will see if I can add her to my to be read list.

tiganeasca

?? Henrik Pontopiddan, Lucky Per ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Earlier this year, I was very surprised that Lion Feuchtwanger and Jew Suss are as little-known as they are. Now, it’s my turn to be shocked that Henrik Pontopiddan and Lucky Per are so little recognized. Feuchtwanger didn’t win a Nobel Prize but Pontopiddan did. Posterity can be cruel. When I read Johannes Jensen’s Fall of the King last year (another work I gave five stars), I noted that “in 1999, two leading Danish newspapers, independently of each other, both named this the best Danish book of the 20th century! Now, having read it, I am completely baffled: why on earth isn’t Jensen better known?” Lucky Per came in number two in those ratings. My reaction is the same.
My thoughts? Read this book. The story is the religious awakening, though not entirely written in those terms, of a young Danish man in the last quarter of the 19th century. Don’t let that put you off. Pontopiddan routinely refers to religion but cleverly underplays it, rarely emphasizing the subject (although it appears often enough) until the end when he does so in a tour de force that I found terribly impressive. It is noteworthy that his depiction of Jews is extraordinarily well-done; that’s particularly important because one of the most important characters in the book is Jewish. His ability to create memorable human characters is admirable: there are few minor characters in the book who are not indelible. I read the Everyman’s Library translation by Naomi Lebowitz (there is another recent one in English as well, surprisingly enough); it seemed excellent to me. Both the introduction (by Danish author Garth Hallberg and available in abbreviated form online here) and the afterword by the translator are helpful in situating the work in the author’s and the literary times. Indeed, Lebowitz makes an essential observation: Lucky Per owes a great debt to the Grimms’ tale, Hans im Gluck (“Hans in Luck”) the story of a young man who is paid his wages in gold and trades down—first for a horse, then a cow, and so on—until he is left with nothing. But the moral of the tale is that only now is Hans truly happy. After some 550 pages, I was impressed but somehow not quite convinced. Then I read the last chapter. Pontopiddan brings everything together brilliantly. I simply had to sit still and digest how he had done it.

?? Ivan Olbracht, Nikola the Outlaw ⭐⭐
I first read Olbracht’s work a number of years ago when the Central European Press began publishing a series of Central/Eastern European authors whose work Timothy Garton Ash (a major scholar of that part of the world in the 1990s) considered essential. As I recall, the first piece I read was The Sorrowful Eyes of Hannah Karajich. I was very impressed. Olbracht, born in Bohemia in 1882, specialized in writing about the lives of people in Ruthenia, especially Jews (he was not Jewish). Ruthenia lies by the Carpathian Mountains in what is now Western Ukraine but has historically been Slovak, Romanian, Hungarian, Polish—a mishmash of many things. It’s a gorgeous place (yes, I’ve been), still largely untouched by the 21st (or even the 20th) century. Nikola the Outlaw is supposedly his masterwork, a tale of a Robin Hood-like character though much of what is attractive about the book is Olbracht’s depiction of rural life in this region. He is especially acute on relations between the peasantry and the Jews, and his ability to draw believable characters is wonderful. All that said, I was ultimately disappointed in this work. It dragged too often, more than a few characters seemed unexpectedly stereotyped, and Nikola himself was less than entirely sympathetic. The book just didn’t engage me. Still, I would recommend Olbracht should you be interested in this time and place. Just start elsewhere.

??/?? Bessie Head, The Collector of Treasures ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I’m embarrassed to have taken so long to read her. I have long known her enormous reputation but have somehow unaccountably never read her work. It won’t be long until I pick up another: she richly deserves her reputation. This collection of stories takes place in Botswana, the country that Head (born in South Africa) used most often for her settings. Head’s own biography is fascinating; I urge you to investigate it. But these stories: it is tempting to say that they all deal with the position of women in society, with the abuses and the injustices they suffer. And there is much of that. But the stories are much richer, more rounded, and fuller. They relate in simple straightforward prose the lives of rural women (and men) as they live under the cumulative oppressions of patriarchy, poverty and colonialism. Her protagonists can seem surprisingly meek and yet underestimating their power is always foolish; their belief in themselves is little short of awe-inspiring. These stories address issues prompted by colonialism, by traditional and Christian spirituality, and deal with the tension inevitable between group and individual identity. She is a powerful writer and most of her protagonists are nothing less than a primal force.

?? Javier Cercas, Soldiers of Salamis ⭐⭐⭐ ⭐
Cercas uses metafiction—a technique in which the author focuses as much on a work’s own structure (regularly intruding the remind the reader that he is reading fiction) as on its story—as a way of analyzing the relationship between literature and reality or between life and art. The ostensible subject of the book is an investigation (by a novelist/journalist named Javier Cercas) into an incident that took place during the Spanish Civil War: a founder and key thinker in the Falangist (fascist) party miraculously escapes execution only to be found by a Republican soldier who unaccountably spares his life. The Fascist becomes a national hero under Franco; the soldier is forgotten. Cercas, the character, suffers from career-ending writer's block, but hopes that by discovering what “really” happened, he may be able to resuscitate his novelistic career. The book is divided into three parts: the first part is the story of his research; the second part is the story resulting from the first part. Had the book ended here, it would have been mildly interesting but, ultimately, tedious. Too much detail, far more than you are likely to want to know about this Falangist hero.* Ah…but the third part: this is the key. This is where story and history intertwine, where memory and forgetting become an inescapable part of the meaning of life and death. This last part is riveting and beautifully told. The book is even more complex than I suggest and worthy of a graduate school seminar to unpack its meanings. Whether you’ll have the patience for it only you can say. But if you make it to the end, I think you’ll agree it was time well spent.
(P.S. I have just read a fascinating introduction and essay on the book which suggests, quite plausibly, that the middle third of the book, the "report" resulting from part one, is intentionally boring and tedious. By writing it that way, Javier Cercas the author (as opposed to Javier Cercas the character) demonstrates that the writer's block is still there and only when the new "assignment" that is part three of the novel comes about does Cercas the character succeed...on multiple levels. The analysis makes great sense and, after further reflection, I have decided to raise my rating.)

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
Earlier this year, I was very surprised that Lion Feuchtwanger and his Jew Suss are as little-known as they are. Now, it’s my turn to be shocked that Henrik Pontopiddan and Lucky Per are so little recognized. Feuchtwanger didn’t win a Nobel Prize but Pontopiddan did. Posterity can be cruel. When I read Johannes Jensen’s Fall of the King last year (another work I gave five stars), I noted that “in 1999, two leading Danish newspapers, independently of each other, both named this the best Danish book of the 20th century! Now, having read it, I am completely baffled: why on earth isn’t Jensen better known?” Lucky Per came in number two in those ratings. My reaction is the same.
My thoughts? Read this book. The story is the religious awakening, though not entirely written in those terms, of a young Danish man in the last quarter of the 19th century. Don’t let that put you off. Pontopiddan routinely refers to religion but cleverly underplays it, rarely emphasizing the subject (although it appears often enough) until the end when he does so in a tour de force that I found terribly impressive. It is noteworthy that his depiction of Jews is extraordinarily well-done; that’s particularly important because one of the most important characters in the book is Jewish. His ability to create memorable human characters is admirable: there are few minor characters in the book who are not indelible. I read the Everyman’s Library translation by Naomi Lebowitz (there is another recent one in English as well, surprisingly enough); it seemed excellent to me. Both the introduction (by Danish author Garth Hallberg and available in abbreviated form online here) and the afterword by the translator are helpful in situating the work in the author’s and the literary times. Indeed, Lebowitz makes an essential observation: Lucky Per owes a great debt to the Grimms’ tale, Hans im Gluck (“Hans in Luck”) the story of a young man who is paid his wages in gold and trades down—first for a horse, then a cow, and so on—until he is left with nothing. But the moral of the tale is that only now is Hans truly happy. After some 550 pages, I was impressed but somehow not quite convinced. Then I read the last chapter. Pontopiddan brings everything together brilliantly. I simply had to sit still and digest how he had done it.
That's another five-star review, Dave. Either you're getting better at finding masterpieces or you're softening. ?

The nice thing about Lucky Per is that it is readily available. It was recently republished (in hardover!) by Everyman’s Library. The Fall of the King has also benefitted from renewed attention, though it was republished in smaller numbers by a university press (kudos University of Minnesota!). Thanks for the heads up on both of these titles.

Ben Jackson

Earlier this year, I was very surprised that Lion Feuchtwanger and his Jew Suss are as little-known as they are. Now, it’s my turn to be shocked that Henrik Pontopiddan and Lucky Per are so little recognized. Feuchtwanger didn’t win a Nobel Prize but Pontopiddan did. Posterity can be cruel. When I read Johannes Jensen’s Fall of the King last year (another work I gave five stars), I noted that “in 1999, two leading Danish newspapers, independently of each other, both named this the best Danish book of the 20th century! Now, having read it, I am completely baffled: why on earth isn’t Jensen better known?” Lucky Per came in number two in those ratings. My reaction is the same.

?? Ivan Olbracht, Nikola the Outlaw ⭐⭐
I first read Olbracht’s work a number of years ago when the Central European Press began publishing a series of Central/Eastern European authors whose work Timothy Garton Ash (a major scholar of that part of the world in the 1990s) considered essential. As I recall, the first piece I read was The Sorrowful Eyes of Hannah Karajich. I was very impressed. Olbracht, born in Bohemia in 1882, specialized in writing about the lives of people in Ruthenia, especially Jews (he was not Jewish). Ruthenia lies by the Carpathian Mountains in what is now Western Ukraine but has historically been Slovak, Romanian, Hungarian, Polish—a mishmash of many things. It’s a gorgeous place (yes, I’ve been), still largely untouched by the 21st (or even the 20th) century. Nikola the Outlaw is supposedly his masterwork, a tale of a Robin Hood-like character though much of what is attractive about the book is Olbracht’s depiction of rural life in this region. He is especially acute on relations between the peasantry and the Jews, and his ability to draw believable characters is wonderful. All that said, I was ultimately disappointed in this work. It dragged too often, more than a few characters seemed unexpectedly stereotyped, and Nikola himself was less than entirely sympathetic. The book just didn’t engage me. Still, I would recommend Olbracht should you be interested in this time and place. Just start elsewhere.

??/?? Bessie Head, The Collector of Treasures ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I’m embarrassed to have taken so long to read her. I have long known her enormous reputation but have somehow unaccountably never read her work. It won’t be long until I pick up another: she richly deserves her reputation. This collection of stories takes place in Botswana, the country that Head (born in South Africa) used most often for her settings. Head’s own biography is fascinating; I urge you to investigate it. But these stories: it is tempting to say that they all deal with the position of women in society, with the abuses and the injustices they suffer. And there is much of that. But the stories are much richer, more rounded, and fuller. They relate in simple straightforward prose the lives of rural women (and men) as they live under the cumulative oppressions of patriarchy, poverty and colonialism. Her protagonists can seem surprisingly meek and yet underestimating their power is always foolish; their belief in themselves is little short of awe-inspiring. These stories address issues prompted by colonialism, by traditional and Christian spirituality, and deal with the tension inevitable between group and individual identity. She is a powerful writer and most of her protagonists are nothing less than a primal force.

?? Javier Cercas, Soldiers of Salamis ⭐⭐⭐
Cercas uses metafiction—a technique in which the author focuses as much on a work’s own structure (regularly intruding the remind the reader that he is reading fiction) as on its story—as a way of analyzing the relationship between literature and reality or between life and art. The ostensible subject of the book is an investigation into an incident that took place during the Spanish Civil War: a founder and key thinker in the Falangist (fascist) party miraculously escapes execution only to be found by a Republican soldier who unaccountably spares his life. The Fascist becomes a national hero under Franco; the soldier is forgotten. Cercas says that the character in the novel, also named Javier Cercas, has one goal: to discover what “really” happened. The work is divided into three parts: the first part is the story of his research; the second part is the story resulting from the first part. Had the book ended here, it would have been mildly interesting but, ultimately, tedious. Too much detail, far more than you are likely to want to know about this Falangist hero. Ah…but the third part: this is the key. This is where story and history intertwine, where memory and forgetting become an inescapable part of the meaning of life and death. This last part is riveting and beautifully told. The book is even more complex than I suggest and worthy of a graduate school seminar to unpack its meanings. Whether you’ll have the patience for it only you can say. But if you make it to the end, I think you’ll agree it was time well spent.

Love your reviews, my friend. As for Bessie Head, I haven't read the book you just reviewed, but I recommend A Question of Power, a classic novel I read around June this year. I wrote a review on the book, it's a classic, one of Africa's finest novels.

Leseratte

??Annie Ernaux- The Years

(Spoilers) This is not a work of fiction, but it is a narrative; it is not an autobiography, but it is about the life of the author; it is not a typical History book, yet it is drenched with the history of the greater part of the last century. It is not a sociology book, but it features an example of social ascend.

I started to read the book in a very detached mood and got gradually more and more involved. For The Years is a big chunk of the western history of private life, from a very French point of view, of course. It is a history that is concerned with how people live, in what kind of houses, what they eat, what kind of family life they have, what are their dreams, their consumer habits, their goals, their prejudices, their politics. And, above all, how all these features transform themselves as "the years" advance. And Annie Ernaux includes her own life in this greater picture, devoid however of it´s subjectivities, as (supreme modesty) a sort of a sample of a life of an occidental woman of her generation.

At some point I, who live on the other side of the "big water", understood what was meant by collective memory.
I think this book is a must for people over forty. They are not going to read about Annie Ernaux. They are going to read about themselves.

alik-vit

Reader

(Spoilers) This is not a work of fiction, but it is a narrative; it is not an autobiography, but it is about the life of the author; it is not a typical History book, yet it is drenched with the history of the greater part of the last century. It is not a sociology book, but it features an example of social ascend.

I started to read the book in a very detached mood and got gradually more and more involved. For The Years is a big chunk of the western history of private life, from a very French point of view, of course. It is a history that is concerned with how people live, in what kind of houses, what they eat, what kind of family life they have, what are their dreams, their consumer habits, their goals, their prejudices, their politics. And, above all, how all these features transform themselves as "the years" advance. And Annie Ernaux includes her own life in this greater picture, devoid however of it´s subjectivities, as (supreme modesty) a sort of a sample of a life of an occidental woman of her generation.

At some point I, who live on the other side of the "big water", understood what was meant by collective memory.
I think this book is a must for people over forty. They are not going to read about Annie Ernaux. They are going to read about themselves.
Great review, but I don't agree. It's not about "western history of private life, from a very French point of view". It's about private life of French people in HER social position (transit from bottom line of petite bourgeoisie toward higher status). It's very limited (if great, yes) scope.

Liam

Administrator
^True, but that's like saying that Anna Karenina is not, in a way, about all of us, but limited to the experiences of the Russian aristocracy in the latter half of the 19th century. Naturally, no writer can escape his or her class or historical circumstances, but it doesn't therefore mean that they are unable to communicate universal truths about the human experience to the rest of us.

I haven't read The Years yet, so my question would be: does Ernaux succeed in doing this?

Yes, she's writing from a "petite bourgeois" (as you call it) Parisienne's point of view, but do we recognize ourselves in what she is writing about? Otherwise, what is the point to reading anything, we can just conclude that no writer can escape his/her limited perspective, there are no universal truths to be communicated, and move on with our lives.

I think old diaries are especially telling in that regard, like Samuel Pepys's wonderfully meticulous account of an entire decade (the 1660s): as far removed from us by time, distance, and cultural background as you can imagine, but somehow Pepys makes it universal; you end up recognizing yourself in some of the "characters" he's describing; perhaps because certain human traits remain the same throughout history? A testament to his powers of observation, surely.

Can't speak for Ernaux, as I haven't read her except one little book about her love affair with a married man.

Leseratte

Yes, I agree about the class view but not that it is exclusively French.
I found many points of contact , although my country and its historical experience is so very different.

alik-vit

Reader
^True, but that's like saying that Anna Karenina is not, in a way, about all of us, but limited to the experiences of the Russian aristocracy in the latter half of the 19th century. Naturally, no writer can escape his or her class or historical circumstances, but it doesn't therefore mean that they are unable to communicate universal truths about the human experience to the rest of us.

I haven't read The Years yet, so my question would be: does Ernaux succeed in doing this?

Yes, she's writing from a "petite bourgeois" (as you call it) Parisienne's point of view, but do we recognize ourselves in what she is writing about? Otherwise, what is the point to reading anything, we can just conclude that no writer can escape his/her limited perspective, there are no universal truths to be communicated, and move on with our lives.

I think old diaries are especially telling in that regard, like Samuel Pepys's wonderfully meticulous account of an entire decade (the 1660s): as far removed from us by time, distance, and cultural background as you can imagine, but somehow Pepys makes it universal; you end up recognizing yourself in some of the "characters" he's describing; perhaps because certain human traits remain the same throughout history? A testament to his powers of observation, surely.

Can't speak for Ernaux, as I haven't read her except one little book about her love affair with a married man.
I'm afraid, it's misleading comparison. Tolstoy writes fiction about eternal topics and uses case of late imperial aristocracy as case study. She writes "collective memoirs", she uses "we". I don't speak about literature per se, not about fiction per se, only about "The years" and Ernaux's approach. My point is such "collective memoirs" (especially in her Bourdeanian perspective) as project is very elusive and limited by class, gender, place factors. That is why I began this discussion with Lese's review, not with potential of fiction to convey the experience of other. @Leseratte wrote about points of contact with this story and it enrich my view. Anyway, thanks for discussion)))

Liam

Administrator
^I do agree that one should not compare fiction with non-fiction, ?

I guess I was just thinking of diarists in general (Pepys has been on my mind lately for some reason), and if we can find points of similarity with the life of a man who lived three hundred and fifty years prior, writing mostly about upper class London society, then maybe we can find something "universal" in Ernaux's book as well.

Note: I am saying something universal, not everything.

And clearly, Leseratte has found something to identify with, even though their two experiences--the author's and the reader's--are so different.

alik-vit

Reader
^I do agree that one should not compare fiction with non-fiction, ?

I guess I was just thinking of diarists in general (Pepys has been on my mind lately for some reason), and if we can find points of similarity with the life of a man who lived three hundred and fifty years prior, writing mostly about upper class London society, then maybe we can find something "universal" in Ernaux's book as well.

Note: I am saying something universal, not everything.

And clearly, Leseratte has found something to identify with, even though their two experiences--the author's and the reader's--are so different.
Yes, it's true. But I spoke not about diaries, I spoke about this project of "collective memoirs" and this approach to autofiction. It would be great to read about your impressions of this book.

Liam

Administrator
^While I respect Ernaux as a writer, my limited exposure to her work has left me not entirely satisfied. The short little book that I referred to earlier: she could have delved into so much more, and more expansively, it just felt too brief and too truncated: but then I was left wondering, perhaps that was deliberate, to make the reader feel the same way as the author felt when the love affair ended: that it was all too brief, and all too truncated? Not sure.

Ben Jackson

Love your review, my dear.

I remembered reading The Years in 2021 and was impressed with the work. Just like I said when Ernaux won the Nobel, it's her best work among the three books I read: Simple Passion, the book, I guessed Liam talked about, and A Girl's Story, the book I read few days after her Nobel triumph. Just like you said, it's not an autobiography/memoir per se, it's a "collective memoir." I remembered listing it in my journal (yes I've keeping a journal where I write reflections/opinions on the books I read each year) as one of that year's best books. Brilliant work.

Ben Jackson

Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas--- Machado De Assis

The novel, with it's unique style of brief, unpredictable chapters shifting in style and tone, deviating from clear and logical construction of usual 19th Century realist novels with application of surreal devices of metaphor and playful narrative (the chapter Delirium, an encounter with Pandora or Nature and my favourite chapter, is an example of this), which tells the story of Bras Cubas narrating his story from the grave, is an observation of human nature. Here, beginning his narration from the end (the passage of his death caused by pneumonia), Bras Cubas notes his mistakes and failed love affairs, reflecting on his own disillusionment with no sign of remorse or fear of retaliation.

Filled with philosophical insights (the influence of Schopenhauer is obvious), and countless allusions to classics of world literature, this is one of the finest novels I've read this year, a strange, innovative work (a book written in 1879/80 and still possess modern touch), a work that can act as an ancestor to the works of post-modernists: Borges, Calvino, John Barth.

My Son's Story--- Nadine Gordimer

Second novel I'm reading from Gordimer and very impressed. The novel unfolds reflections of Will, the younger brother of Baby who joins a revolutionary movement in Zambia and how, by the end of the novel, becomes a writer, finds out that his father Sonny, a school teacher who is involved in political movement and married to Will's mother Aila, and his love affair with Hannah Plowman, a blonde who works in a Human Rights Organization, enmeshed with aggressive personal bitterness and political upheaval in late 70s/early 80s South Africa and embedded in the interplay of race, gender, politics, family, love and commitment. Gordimer brilliantly use of interior monologue (presenting the inner workings of Sonny's mind, his feelings for Hannah "Needing Hannah" as well as thoughts of his wife now) and descrptive writing (sentences filled with hypens of unpredictable lengths of sentences separated by them) presents the scars of apartheid and uprisings for equality with complex characters. The use of alternate narratives, one from the part of Sonny's son Will and the omniscient narratives which focuses on Sonny, becomes two facets forming to become a continuity, and economical usage of words is a confirmation to not only the brilliance of this work but also display the quality of Gordimer.

Ducks, Newburyport---- Lucy Ellmann

The fact is that this novel is one of the finest (and wildest) novel I've read this year, the fact that Ellman presents the thoughts, in 1000 pages without full-stop and semi-colon, of an American housewife, a baker living in Ohio in a stream of consciousness technique reverberting the works of Joyce, Woolf and Thomas Bernhard, consisting of uncontrolled remarks of her life (in fact anything that occupys her from popular culture, that's movies and music, to American society, torrents of trash but still possess academic vocabulary), her phobias, fixations and pathological anxieties, the fact that Ellmann encapsulates the whole of contemporary America in an age of informational pollution, the fact that the housewife is represented as the lost moral conscience of an amoral nation, the fact that this nove presents the chaos of modern civilization without logical structure, paragraph breaks or character development, is a wonderful maximalist achievement.

Leseratte

Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas--- Machado De Assis

The novel, with it's unique style of brief, unpredictable chapters shifting in style and tone, deviating from clear and logical construction of usual 19th Century realist novels with application of surreal devices of metaphor and playful narrative (the chapter Delirium, an encounter with Pandora or Nature and my favourite chapter, is an example of this), which tells the story of Bras Cubas narrating his story from the grave, is an observation of human nature. Here, beginning his narration from the end (the passage of his death caused by pneumonia), Bras Cubas notes his mistakes and failed love affairs, reflecting on his own disillusionment with no sign of remorse or fear of retaliation.

Filled with philosophical insights (the influence of Schopenhauer is obvious), and countless allusions to classics of world literature, this is one of the finest novels I've read this year, a strange, innovative work (a book written in 1879/80 and still possess modern touch), a work that can act as an ancestor to the works of post-modernists: Borges, Calvino, John Barth.

My Son's Story--- Nadine Gordimer

Second novel I'm reading from Gordimer and very impressed. The novel unfolds reflections of Will, the younger brother of Baby who joins a revolutionary movement in Zambia and how, by the end of the novel, becomes a writer, finds out that his father Sonny, a school teacher who is involved in political movement and married to Will's mother Aila, and his love affair with Hannah Plowman, a blonde who works in a Human Rights Organization, enmeshed with aggressive personal bitterness and political upheaval in late 70s/early 80s South Africa and embedded in the interplay of race, gender, politics, family, love and commitment. Gordimer brilliantly use of interior monologue (presenting the inner workings of Sonny's mind, his feelings for Hannah "Needing Hannah" as well as thoughts of his wife now) and descrptive writing (sentences filled with hypens of unpredictable lengths of sentences separated by them) presents the scars of apartheid and uprisings for equality with complex characters. The use of alternate narratives, one from the part of Sonny's son Will and the omniscient narratives which focuses on Sonny, becomes two facets forming to become a continuity, and economical usage of words is a confirmation to not only the brilliance of this work but also display the quality of Gordimer.

Ducks, Newburyport---- Lucy Ellmann

The fact is that this novel is one of the finest (and wildest) novel I've read this year, the fact that Ellman presents the thoughts, in 1000 pages without full-stop and semi-colon, of an American housewife, a baker living in Ohio in a stream of consciousness technique reverberting the works of Joyce, Woolf and Thomas Bernhard, consisting of uncontrolled remarks of her life (in fact anything that occupys her from popular culture, that's movies and music, to American society, torrents of trash but still possess academic vocabulary), her phobias, fixations and pathological anxieties, the fact that Ellmann encapsulates the whole of contemporary America in an age of informational pollution, the fact that the housewife is represented as the lost moral conscience of an amoral nation, the fact that this nove presents the chaos of modern civilization without logical structure, paragraph breaks or character development, is a wonderful maximalist achievement.
I particularly enjoyed your review of Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas (I haven´t read the other two novels). I liked how you summed up the swaying nature of the narrative: "The novel, with it's unique style of brief, unpredictable chapters shifting in style and tone, deviating from clear and logical construction of usual 19th Century realist novels with application of surreal devices of metaphor and playful narrative..."

Leseratte

Yes, it's true. But I spoke not about diaries, I spoke about this project of "collective memoirs" and this approach to autofiction. It would be great to read about your impressions of this book.
I think one of the issues of "The Years", is the difficulty to define it´s genre. Without actually being a diary, it has that in common with the diary, that both forms are directly influenced by the passing of time and in that there is a single narrator even if she assumes the plural form "we" or the third person in the work of Ernaux.

Not having ever read Bourdieu, I can´t say how much he influences this narrative which is somehow at the crossroad between History, Sociology and Autobiography. And for me the historical feature is predominant. Specially as the autobiography is as much as possible devoid of subjectivety. I wouldn´t add fiction, I suppose that all facts referred to are taken from real life.

Trying a bit to trace your dissatisfaction with this book, Alik. I never had access to a Russian study of History, but what one notes in Russian fiction, specially of the 19th century is an urge to dive deeply into matters concerning the soul and it´s ethical delivery (or, in other words, a fight between God and his counterpart). In "The Years" if I am not mistaken, there isn´t any mention at all of Religion or Ethics. The narrative describes events and behavior of a certain social group during a certain time and under certain circumstances. It doesn´t examine its roots or it´s causes it merely registers it´s changes. This may seem somehow superficial and dissatisfactory, but I don´t think the aim of the narrative was to get further than this description of private life of a certain class during the larger part of the 20eth century in France. It permits however the identification of similar moments in other countries. That is were one can relate.

Sorry, I didn´t mean this answer to be so long. Anyway, thanks for opening this discussion.