Recently finished books?

alik-vit

Reader
Ida Vitale, "Garden of Silica".
At first, I understood nothing in what I read. Then I completely lost myself in these poems. Can't remember another case like this. Two weeks of read and zero... I found some of her poems in Russian and the result was the same, maybe a little bit more comprehensible, but in general, the same. I'm afraid, she is not my poet and we haven't shared future, sorry.

Ben Jackson

?? Afterlives--- Abdulrazak Gurnah

Covering more than fifty years, Gurnah recounts the terrible effects of resistance to German rule, the emotional and physical damages of Colonialism, the generational effects of Colonialism and war and what is left in the aftermath of so much devastation, Christianity's role in driving to build and maintain a Colonial empire, dislocation and restoration of love and how there experiences shape the characters in the novel: Khalifa, a merchant who gets married to Amu Biashara's niece Asha, Ilyas, a friend of Khalifa who joins Schutztruppe Askaris, native soldiers who are known for inflicting unspeakable cruelties on their fellow Africans in name of German Empire (when Ilyas got to Germany, he changed his name to Elias Essen, married a German woman in 1933, became a member of Nazi political establishment, and became a known singer in Hamburg; unfortunately dying in Concentration Camp for breaking race relations law through his affair with a German woman in 1938) Ilyas' younger sister Afiya, who is sheltered by Khalifa after Ilyas joins the Schutztruppe and ends up marrying Hamza, an Askari volunteer who is a victim of sexual abuse by a German officer and portrayed as a voice between the oppressor and the oppressed, and Ilyas, the son of Hamza and Afiya who is named after Afiya's elder brother and who became a journalist, discovering what actually happened to his uncle. Gurnah beautifully covered the full scope of German 20th Century horrors at about 300 pages, though I felt he could have covered Illyas life more. This the fourth novel I have read from him and I think this is his strongest though I'll have to read Paradise and see.

Leseratte

?? Afterlives--- Abdulrazak Gurnah

Covering more than fifty years, Gurnah recounts the terrible effects of resistance to German rule, the emotional and physical damages of Colonialism, the generational effects of Colonialism and war and what is left in the aftermath of so much devastation, Christianity's role in driving to build and maintain a Colonial empire, dislocation and restoration of love and how there experiences shape the characters in the novel: Khalifa, a merchant who gets married to Amu Biashara's niece Asha, Ilyas, a friend of Khalifa who joins Schutztruppe Askaris, native soldiers who are known for inflicting unspeakable cruelties on their fellow Africans in name of German Empire (when Ilyas got to Germany, he changed his name to Elias Essen, married a German woman in 1933, became a member of Nazi political establishment, and became a known singer in Hamburg; unfortunately dying in Concentration Camp for breaking race relations law through his affair with a German woman in 1938) Ilyas' younger sister Afiya, who is sheltered by Khalifa after Ilyas joins the Schutztruppe and ends up marrying Hamza, an Askari volunteer who is a victim of sexual abuse by a German officer and portrayed as a voice between the oppressor and the oppressed, and Ilyas, the son of Hamza and Afiya who is named after Afiya's elder brother and who became a journalist, discovering what actually happened to his uncle. Gurnah beautifully covered the full scope of German 20th Century horrors at about 300 pages, though I felt he could have covered Illyas life more. This the fourth novel I have read from him and I think this is his strongest though I'll have to read Paradise and see.
Thanks for you review, Ben. This work has an particular interest for me because of the role of the Germans in the Colonialism of this region.

Leseratte

If you're interested in that topic, another book you might want to read--I enjoyed it quite a bit--is Uwe Timm's Morenga, about the Germans in Namibia.
Thanks, Tiga. Made a note of it. It is probably available for borrowing at the Goethe Online Library.

tiganeasca

?? Ebou Dibba, Chaff on the Wind ⭐⭐⭐
Two young men from rural villages independently set out for Banjul, a large city and the capital of The Gambia. It is the 1930s and World War II approaches, even in West Africa. We catch a glimpse of the family and village of one of them but know nothing of the other. They are different in every way and the book follows them each. We learn their fortunes, their relationship to each other, and a bit about Banjul as well. The story is nothing exceptional although the writing is good and the characters, both major and minor, are well-drawn. There are fairly minor subplots relating to the place of Christianity and colonialism, but the story focuses almost without exception on the two young men and life in the city, highlighting the growing tension between tradition and modernity. Worth the time.

?? David Malouf, Every Move You Make [Stories] ⭐⭐⭐+
Malouf has long been my favorite Australian writer and I’ve been baffled that he doesn’t seem to be better known or more widely appreciated. This collection of stories contains at least one exceptional story, “The Valley of Lagoons.” A few story lines, to the extent they are relevant, are aptly described on the jacket: “A young man going off to war tries to make sense of his place in the world he is leaving; a composer's life plays itself out as a complex domestic cantata; an accident on a hunting trip speaks volumes, which its inarticulate victim never could; and a down-to-earth woman stubbornly tries to keep her feet on the ground at Ayers Rock.” As always, wonderful prose and nuanced, highly believable characters—Malouf is superb at catching the words not spoken, the feelings, and the spirit of place: Australia is always a character in his stories and novels and he makes it felt quite beautifully.

?? Nirmal Verma, Maya Darpan and other stories ⭐⭐⭐+
Twelve stories by a Hindi master all dealing in one way or another with isolation. Although the settings vary from London to the Czech Republic to a hill station in northern India, Verma’s characters tend to be city people, well-educated, usually confronting (or suffering from) a world-weariness, an ennui. In reading about Verma’s stories, I came across this paragraph (by Oindrila Mukherjee in an excellent review of this collection published under another title, here) that I think is an apt description of his work: “Occasionally, a fleeting connection offers a glimmer of hope, only to ultimately fail. Unexpected encounters and unlikely bonds provide temporary relief from solitude in Verma’s world. But, ultimately, they are too fragile to survive. Even when people appear to connect, their circumstances are so fraught that they lead to more sorrow than joy.” And yet, the writing elevates what might otherwise simply be a series of depressing vignettes. Definitely recommended.

?? Charles Dickens, The Pickwick Papers ⭐⭐⭐+
Even Charles Dickens had a first book. This is it. Unlike virtually all his later works, Pickwick Papers has only the loosest of plots. It’s more the story of Mr. Pickwick and his travels. There are, to be sure, a few overarching story lines but mostly it is episodic. Most of the episodes work, but I also found a few chapters downright boring. Still, I imagine that an “abridged” Pickwick is anathema. In any event, Dickens is Dickens (which is, to my mind, a great compliment), even in his first book. The characters (and their names) are inimitable and indelible. The situations…Dickensian. And the ending, a tear-jerker. Some superb characters, some minor (such as Mr. Wardle) and certainly Pickwick himself and Sam Weller. Not among my favorites but I’m glad to have read it and don’t consider the time (it’s 800+ pages long) ill-spent—and often delightful.

Leseratte

??Geetanjali Shree- Tomb of Sand
One of the books I liked best from the recently read books. Tomb of Sand is a doorstopper (about 1600 pages in my digital version formatted for large print), but an easy read. The story of an 80 years old woman is told in a very unusual poetic style. It seems that the English translation followed very closely the particularities of the original with word plays, invented words.

Geetanjaly Shree is first of all a very talented story teller with a rich imagination that delves into the everyday reality but also in history, myth and fable to tell her story. She is also the most feminine of feminist allowing women and female concerns full protagonism in her novel.

However I didn´t like the last part of the book so well as the others. The metalanguage that seems ok to me in the other parts, seems a bit exaggerated here, I got the feeling that the author hesitated in finishing the book.
On the other hand there are some chapters that are pure prose poetry like when the old lady reawakens to life and follows the rays of sun and the dream about the saris.

I warmly recommend the book.

alik-vit

Reader
Clarice Lispector, "Aqua Viva" (in Rus.). As I wrote in another place, she tries to write down the language's Id. It's interesting experiment and it works in such short book. But I'm not sure about bigger text. It's my second Lispector and I'm still not into the club.

Fernanda Melchor, "Hurricane Season" (in Rus.). During most part of the novel it was OK, solid read, but in last part she did something magical and it has become very very good read. I hate this characteristic, but it's really the book of great and true compassion towards its characters. Love it.

Naguib Mahfouz, "Love in the rain" (in Rus.). There is no rain, actually. And no big sense. Slim novel about Egyptian society in the time of war and ideological crisis. Sometimes it's incredible bad.

Mark Strand, "Hopper". Slim volume of very interesting short analytical pieces on his paintings. Strand's usage of formal analysis really gives you some new insights on "how it works".

Dubravka Ugresic, "Nobody's Home". Great collection. She is very sharp observer of current cultural trends and witty critic of topoi. Of course, she has her own blind spots too, but who not? I'm not great fan of her fiction, but her nonfiction is superb.

Guy Davenport, "The Haile Selassie funeral train" (in Rus.). Selected short stories. Prose by philologist. Clever, funny, bright, but.... there is no distinctive voice. Or I can't hear it.

Dubravka Ugresic, "Thank you for not reading" (in Rus.). I did read it 10 years ago. It's still very good. It's about book industry and place of literature as institution in (more or less) contemporary world (the end of millennium).

Ewa Lipska, "Dear, Ms Schubert". I like it very much. She uses these personas (Ms Shubert and Mr Schmetterling) not like alter ego (see, Pan Cogito by Zbigniew Herbert), but like focal points for building her aesthetic equivalent of contemporary (early 20th century) European world. Her mix of witty, test for absurdity and sense of history is very impressive. Looking forward to read more of her.

Ida Vitale, "Garden of Silica". At first, I understood nothing in what I read. Then I completely lost myself in these poems. Can't remember another case like this. Two weeks of read and zero... I found some of her poems in Russian and the result was the same, maybe a little bit more comprehensible, but in general, the same. I'm afraid, she is not my poet and we haven't shared future, sorry.

Pierre Guyotat, "Eden, Eden, Eden" (in Rus.). It's very much from 1968 and from France. You need great patience for this read. Can say nothing about his work with French language, of course. But in the terms of topic: in current media sphere it does not work. You can't feel shock after all these descriptions of copulations when on the background of your read there are xvideos, xhamsters and other xsites. Maybe it was important as his self therapy, if not self publicity, but as text it's boring.

Leseratte

Clarice Lispector, "Aqua Viva" (in Rus.). As I wrote in another place, she tries to write down the language's Id. It's interesting experiment and it works in such short book. But I'm not sure about bigger text. It's my second Lispector and I'm still not into the club.

Fernanda Melchor, "Hurricane Season" (in Rus.). During most part of the novel it was OK, solid read, but in last part she did something magical and it has become very very good read. I hate this characteristic, but it's really the book of great and true compassion towards its characters. Love it.

Naguib Mahfouz, "Love in the rain" (in Rus.). There is no rain, actually. And no big sense. Slim novel about Egyptian society in the time of war and ideological crisis. Sometimes it's incredible bad.

Mark Strand, "Hopper". Slim volume of very interesting short analytical pieces on his paintings. Strand's usage of formal analysis really gives you some new insights on "how it works".

Dubravka Ugresic, "Nobody's Home". Great collection. She is very sharp observer of current cultural trends and witty critic of topoi. Of course, she has her own blind spots too, but who not? I'm not great fan of her fiction, but her nonfiction is superb.

Guy Davenport, "The Haile Selassie funeral train" (in Rus.). Selected short stories. Prose by philologist. Clever, funny, bright, but.... there is no distinctive voice. Or I can't hear it.

Dubravka Ugresic, "Thank you for not reading" (in Rus.). I did read it 10 years ago. It's still very good. It's about book industry and place of literature as institution in (more or less) contemporary world (the end of millennium).

Ewa Lipska, "Dear, Ms Schubert". I like it very much. She uses these personas (Ms Shubert and Mr Schmetterling) not like alter ego (see, Pan Cogito by Zbigniew Herbert), but like focal points for building her aesthetic equivalent of contemporary (early 20th century) European world. Her mix of witty, test for absurdity and sense of history is very impressive. Looking forward to read more of her.

Ida Vitale, "Garden of Silica". At first, I understood nothing in what I read. Then I completely lost myself in these poems. Can't remember another case like this. Two weeks of read and zero... I found some of her poems in Russian and the result was the same, maybe a little bit more comprehensible, but in general, the same. I'm afraid, she is not my poet and we haven't shared future, sorry.

Pierre Guyotat, "Eden, Eden, Eden" (in Rus.). It's very much from 1968 and from France. You need great patience for this read. Can say nothing about his work with French language, of course. But in the terms of topic: in current media sphere it does not work. You can't feel shock after all these descriptions of copulations when on the background of your read there are xvideos, xhamsters and other xsites. Maybe it was important as his self therapy, if not self publicity, but as text it's boring.
I have two books by Dubravka Ugresic which I haven´t read as yet. Some readers prefer Clarice Lispector´s short stories to her more extensive text. The short stories are very different in themes, depth and even quality but some of them are iconic.

Leseratte

It´s The Ministry of Pain . The other one, I just discovered, is not by her, it´s The Dog Park by Sofi Oksanen.

Ben Jackson

It´s The Ministry of Pain . The other one, I just discovered, is not by her, it´s The Dog Park by Sofi Oksanen.

Through the observation of Tanja Lucic, a professor of Literature who departs Yugoslavia for Netherlands, lecturing at University of Amsterdam where her students are emigres form Balkan countries, Ministry of Pain tends to look at issues faced by an exile, price of separating from one's homeland and memories of homeland's cultural and physical disintegration. It's a very good novel if you ask me, but definitely not better than her masterpiece Museum of Unconditional Surrender.

Leseratte

Through the observation of Tanja Lucic, a professor of Literature who departs Yugoslavia for Netherlands, lecturing at University of Amsterdam where her students are emigres form Balkan countries, Ministry of Pain tends to look at issues faced by an exile, price of separating from one's homeland and memories of homeland's cultural and physical disintegration. It's a very good novel if you ask me, but definitely not better than her masterpiece Museum of Unconditional Surrender.
Thanks for looking it up, Ben! Seems you are getting better!

Ben Jackson

?? Selected Poems--- Jaan Kaplinski

Poems selected from about four collections of poetry, themes in this collection include nature, politics, dreams, history, knowledge, time and life of poet, influenced by Buddhism and Russian and Polish poetry (I'm thinking of Brodsky and Szymborska). A beautiful selection of poems.

?? Another Country--- James Baldwin

Third novel of Baldwin I've read, this novel, set in Greenwich Village and Harlem in late 1950s, centers on small group of friends before and following the horrible suicide of Jazz musician Rufus Scott, by far one of the most complex characters in American fiction. It look at race prejudices and the way it affects the psyche of an individual, interracial/bisexual relations, extra-marital affairs, love, willing ignorance (the failure of Vivaldo to come to terms with his sexuality) and jealousy (the artistic jealousy between Richard Silenski and Vivaldo). The title not only refers to Eric, an actor who had an affair with Rufus and currently in a relationship with Yves, and his return to United Staes from France, but also the feelings of alienation experienced by African Americans. I don't know if I can put this book above Go Tell it on the Mountain, but this is a beautiful novel. I will discuss more of this novel later.

The Common Reader

?? Another Country--- James Baldwin

Third novel of Baldwin I've read, this novel, set in Greenwich Village and Harlem in late 1950s, centers on small group of friends before and following the horrible suicide of Jazz musician Rufus Scott, by far one of the most complex characters in American fiction. It look at race prejudices and the way it affects the psyche of an individual, interracial/bisexual relations, extra-marital affairs, love, willing ignorance (the failure of Vivaldo to come to terms with his sexuality) and jealousy (the artistic jealousy between Richard Silenski and Vivaldo). The title not only refers to Eric, an actor who had an affair with Rufus and currently in a relationship with Yves, and his return to United Staes from France, but also the feelings of alienation experienced by African Americans. I don't know if I can put this book above Go Tell it on the Mountain, but this is a beautiful novel. I will discuss more of this novel later.
Thank you for your insights on this extraordinary writer! I recommend Just Above My Head (1979), Baldwin's longest novel that some have suggested is a baggy monster of sorts but that I love precisely because it has everything and goes everwhere and pairs exceptionally well with instrumental jazz I found--Mingus, Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Dave Brubeck Quartet.
Also, I hope you are feeling better!

Ben Jackson

Thank you for your insights on this extraordinary writer! I recommend Just Above My Head (1979), Baldwin's longest novel that some have suggested is a baggy monster of sorts but that I love precisely because it has everything and goes everwhere and pairs exceptionally well with instrumental jazz I found--Mingus, Coltrane, Miles Davis, and Dave Brubeck Quartet.
Also, I hope you are feeling better!
I will see if I can look for this novel. Thanks for rec.

Am already feeling better, but I still need to take things slowly.

tiganeasca

?? Juan Rulfo, The Golden Cockerel ⭐⭐+
I was so impressed by Pedro Páramo that I decided I needed to read more of Rulfo and so bought a couple books of stories, including this novella. We should always be suspicious of the praise lavished by publishers on the back cover of a book or in their sales propaganda. Here, the novella is called both “legendary” and a “lost masterwork.” Uh, no. If it’s legendary, it is not because of its quality. Neither the writing nor the story deserve that label in my opinion. Dionisio Pinzón barely ekes out a living as the town crier. Through a series of events, he nurses a golden cock back to health and begins entering it into local cockfights. He wins, meets two other characters, and soon has made his fortune. His luck eventually turns and the novella follows his fortunes. The story often feels like a noir film and was, in fact, made into a successful movie (screenplay by Carlos Fuentes and Gabriel García Márquez and the director). Which is fortunate since the novella isn’t. Disappointing.

?? Paul Willems, The Cathedral of Mist ⭐⭐+
I was suckered into buying this by the publisher’s write-up: “a collection of stories from the last of the great Francophone Belgian fantasists: distilled tales of distant journeys, buried memories and impossible architecture. Described here are the emotionally disturbed architectural plan for a palace of emptiness; the experience of snowfall in a bed in the middle of a Finnish forest; the memory chambers that fuel the marvelous futility of the endeavor to write; the beautiful woodland church, built of warm air currents and fog, scattering in storms and taking renewed shape at dusk.” Well, yes. That’s all true and, from time to time, the writing and the stories even live up to the hype. But generally, I found the collection disappointing—the imagination was just a little too fantastical, the writing not quite convincing enough. However, the last two pieces in the book are non-fiction essays, one on reading and one on writing. Though I found the writing a bit self-indulgent, both essays were worth the time and I enjoyed them.

[Golly! Notice how the flag of Belgium--above--so closely resembles that of Romania--below!]

?? Bogdan Suceavă, Miruna, A Tale ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Suceava is a mathematician by profession (teaching in California) and a writer by avocation. He is originally from a small town in rural Romania and, though I do not know that particular place, I have spent many weeks in rural Romania. Perhaps for that reason, this book resonated with me—though I think it so well done that even readers completely unfamiliar with Romania would be entranced. The story takes place in a village in the Carpathian Mountains. Like much of the Balkans, it is a bastion of orality, a place where modernity has only begun to take hold in the last fifty years or so. The grandfather, aware that he doesn’t have much time left, tells his grandchildren stories that blend family history with local legends with 20th century history. One of those children, now grown, re-tells the tales. The stories are fantastic, impossible, and true, and brilliantly recreate the storytelling traditions of the region. Fairy tale characters mix with real historical figures mix with family members and recreate a world that is on the verge of disappearing forever.

?? Juan José Arreola, The Fair ⭐⭐⭐+
After my disappointment with the Rulfo novella, I decided to tackle another Mexican giant: Arreola. The “story” is told chunks ranging from a few lines to a few pages in length. Each entry is told by from a wide variety of different characters and perspectives. And, in fact, it’s not so much one story as it is the many stories of the inhabitants of Zapotlán, based on Arreola’s hometown of Ciudad Guzmán. It took me quite a while to get accustomed to what was happening: different characters tell different stories and, though they occasionally intersect, mostly they don’t except that they are all told by people living in the same town, a town about to celebrate a fair in honor of its patron and founder. The writing is often funny and I suspect that the ridicule of religion is Arreola, not his characters, speaking. I am certain that I missed quite a bit: there are so many different story lines and so many characters that I simply failed to keep track of them all. And yet there is a narrative power that’s almost overwhelming: from the shoemaker who decides to become a farmer and plant corn, to the dispossessed seeking justice , from the creation of an immense fireworks show to the death of a leading citizen and, finally, to the place of the church, the land and the people take center stage. An impressive work and one that bears multiple re-readings, I think. This is Arreola’s only novel and it was seductive enough that I need to get to Confabulario, a collection of stories.