Regional United States Literature

I am passionate about the literature of the American West, so Larry Watson has been on my lists for a while, but I am sorry to say that I haven’t read him yet. He sounds a bit akin to an author I adore, Ivan Doig.

tiganeasca

I am passionate about the literature of the American West, so Larry Watson has been on my lists for a while, but I am sorry to say that I haven’t read him yet. He sounds a bit akin to an author I adore, Ivan Doig.
Curiously enough I thought about mentioning a bunch of writers when I posted about Watson and Doig was among them. And William Kittredge. And Wallace Stegner and...too many others. So I decided to defer that post for a bit. But they're out there. Usually found publishing their work with high quality small presses like Milkweed, North Point, Algonquin, Coffee House, Graywolf, too many of which simply couldn't compete. The subject for yet another thread. Or other writers like Mark Slouka, Claire Messud, Harriet Doerr (no relation to Anthony), Joanna Scott, Andrea Barrett, Bret Lott. A veritable plethora.

Last edited:
So many, I agree. I know that Doig has a devoted following, and 60 years ago he might have had a small national reputation, but those days are long gone, and the main thing is for a writer to keep working and publishing and, yes, developing a fan base.

Regional writers are in an interesting position. On the one hand, they might get overlooked in the big publishing centers. On the other hand, they can work their region, catering to local bookshops, publishing houses as you mention, cultural fairs, radio, making appearances, signing books, being visible. Some writers become positively beloved that way - Howard Frank Mosher in New Hampshire comes to mind - and it is a strategy I would recommend to a regional writer in ANY country.

Stevie B

Current Member
I've read my share of Francine Prose and find her a bit variable. But your comment puts me in mind of another American writer who I think is not only an excellent storyteller but a writer of excellent prose. Anyone else read works by Larry Watson? (Eleven books starting in 1980; I'm familiar mostly with his earlier works, including In A Dark Time; Montana 1948; Justice; and White Crosses.)
I read Montana 1948 shortly after it was released (back in the 1990s?). The novel (novella?) was published by a small press, but it enjoyed good word of mouth and I believe it had decent sales. I don't think any of Watson's later books were nearly as popular, but that's just a guess. As far as Francine Prose is concerned, I've only read Blue Angel, a novel I really liked and one that I found hard to put down. The book was a finalist for a National Book Award, but I recall that a fair number of Goodreads reviewers strongly criticized the novel. Had I read those reviews earlier, I likely would have never bought the book, and I would have missed out on one of my favorite reads that year.

Stevie B

Current Member
So many, I agree. I know that Doig has a devoted following, and 60 years ago he might have had a small national reputation, but those days are long gone, and the main thing is for a writer to keep working and publishing and, yes, developing a fan base.

Regional writers are in an interesting position. On the one hand, they might get overlooked in the big publishing centers. On the other hand, they can work their region, catering to local bookshops, publishing houses as you mention, cultural fairs, radio, making appearances, signing books, being visible. Some writers become positively beloved that way - Howard Frank Mosher in New Hampshire comes to mind - and it is a strategy I would recommend to a regional writer in ANY country.
I grew up in New England and once assumed Mosher had a national following. Since moving away and later settling in the Midwest after a number of years overseas, I never meet anyone who knows who Mosher is. I think you're right about his regional appeal, which has likely dwindled over the years. I used to think that Russell Banks, also from New Hampshire, was a regional author, but I believe he later developed a modest national following. Affliction, by the way, is a novel I remember devouring on a rainy and cold fall day in the Berkshires. I think my upbringing in blue collar New England helped me relate to the characters and storyline. I sometimes consider revisiting that novel, but I also fear that it wouldn't be as good as my memory of it, and I don't want to spoil things.

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
Curiously enough I thought about mentioning a bunch of writers when I posted about Watson and Doig was among them. And William Kittredge. And Wallace Stegner and...too many others. So I decided to defer that post for a bit. But they're out there. Usually found publishing their work with high quality small presses like Milkweed, North Point, Algonquin, Coffee House, Graywolf, too many of which simply couldn't compete. The subject for yet another thread. Or other writers like Mark Slouka, Claire Messud, Harriet Doerr (no relation to Anthony), Joanna Scott, Andrea Barrett, Bret Lott. A veritable plethora.
I've only read one Stegner novel, The Big Rock Candy Mountain, and it was easily one of the best novels I read last year. I think it would make a fantastic film. Any suggestions for a good follow book to that one?

tiganeasca

I've only read one Stegner novel, The Big Rock Candy Mountain, and it was easily one of the best novels I read last year. I think it would make a fantastic film. Any suggestions for a good follow book to that one?
I've read a chunk of Stegner and he is one of my (very few) heroes, in large part because of his environmental stands and writing. But you asked about books. I don't think you can go wrong with either of two of his most famous works, Angle of Repose or Crossing to Safety. Good luck and let us know how you fare!

Re Watson, you might try White Crosses or Justice. And for something completely different from Francine Prose, try her very first book, Judah the Pious. It's been far too long since I read Mosher but he's another gem out there....

Last edited:
I've read a chunk of Stegner and he is one of my (very few) heroes, in large part because of his environmental stands and writing. But you asked about books. I don't think you can go wrong with either of two of most famous works, Angle of Repose or Crossing to Safety. Good luck and let us know how you fare!

Wallace Stegner is a titan. I'm delighted to come across some more devotees. Crossing to Safety was one of those books I read in my life that just changed me, in ways only a handful of books ever will in your life. I can't quite say how, and this one changed me in ways that relate particularly to how I perceive the business of reading novels and what they can do to bring you closer to other people. Angle of Repose was nearly as good, and The Big Rock Candy Mountain. I have read most of his fiction now I think, and those are the 3 standouts for me.

I should read Affliction, since I loved the film version. Ditto The Sweet Hereafter.

I have a project to read the old guard of Western literary fiction - Stegner, Paul Horgan, Wallace Stegner, Frederick Manfred, Vardis Fisher, Harvey Fergusson, Mari Sandoz, H.L. Davis, A.B. Guthrie, Walter Van Tilburg Clark - who get little love outside maybe a few English departments in Western universities.

One Montana writer we haven’t mentioned is James Welch, who was Blackfoot / Gros Ventre and whose moving novel Winter in the Blood I highly recommend.

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
I should read Affliction, since I loved the film version. Ditto The Sweet Hereafter.

I have a project to read the old guard of Western literary fiction - Stegner, Paul Horgan, Wallace Stegner, Frederick Manfred, Vardis Fisher, Harvey Fergusson, Mari Sandoz, H.L. Davis, A.B. Guthrie, Walter Van Tilburg Clark - who get little love outside maybe a few English departments in Western universities.

One Montana writer we haven’t mentioned is James Welch, who was Blackfoot / Gros Ventre and whose moving novel Winter in the Blood I highly recommend.
I liked both films, but preferred the books, though I thought Nick Nolte and James Coburn were especially well cast in Affliction. By the way, I'm also a fan of Winter in the Blood and have a much-cherished signed copy of the book.

Yes, Nolte and Coburn were great; I was glad to see the latter get an Academy Award.

That is cool about the signed copy of the Welch. I need to read the rest of his work, I’ve been laggard about that.

Stevie B

Current Member
Wallace Stegner is a titan. I'm delighted to come across some more devotees. Crossing to Safety was one of those books I read in my life that just changed me, in ways only a handful of books ever will in your life.
Thanks for sharing. I believe the Penguin Classics edition of Crossing to Safety remains in print. It caught my eye at some point, as I have a copy of it in my Advanced Book Exchange shopping basket. The cover photo screams 1960s. Without giving too much away, I'm curious how this book changed you.
.1662512303656.png

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

Wallace Stegner has a very high reputation for being one of American finest post war novelists, winning the Pulitzer for Angle of Repose. Maybe I'll try to read his finest two or three works. Where can I start from?

Stevie B

Current Member
Yes, Nolte and Coburn were great; I was glad to see the latter get an Academy Award.

That is cool about the signed copy of the Welch. I need to read the rest of his work, I’ve been laggard about that.
By the way, one thing I recall about Affliction, even though I read it ages ago, is how the troubled Wade Whitehouse is obsessed with a restaurant sign that reads "Homemade Cooking". Every time he passes by the restaurant, he thinks the sign should read "Home Cooking" or "Homemade Food". Those scenes made me laugh because I agreed with Wade, and I could imagine being just as bothered as he was.

Stevie B

Current Member
Wallace Stegner has a very high reputation for being one of American finest post war novelists, winning the Pulitzer for Angle of Repose. Maybe I'll try to read his finest two or three works. Where can I start from?
The Big Rock Candy Mountain would require some commitment due to its length, but it would be well worth it. I think the novel, a family saga, is somewhat autobiographical, and it would provide a clear picture of time and place. It was also interesting to read this during COVID as the novel, in small part, deals with the flu pandemic of 1919.

Last edited:

redhead

Blahblahblah
As stated previously, I share with many of you the sentiment that an English-language winner in 2022 would be both unlikely and unwelcome. However, I have an increasing appreciation for the work of Tim Winton. I recall @redhead mentioning that he enjoyed some of his work, but wondered if he might be too “light weight” — a sentiment I once shared, but having now read Cloudstreet (I suppose, his magnum opus), The Shallows, Breath, Dirt Music, the EXCELLENT short story collection The Turning, The Shepherd’s Hut, his best so far in my opinion, and Island Home ( a “landscape memoir”), I actually think that he would make an excellent Nobel-winner, though I know how upsetting it would be to see him win over Gerald Murname or Alexis Wright. I also have mad love for David Malouf, but I’m beginning to think Tim Winton is a real contender, and as a FOUR-time Miles Franklin Award-winner, maybe only too obvious a choice.

Re: Winton, I agree Cloudstreet is amazing. Breath, though, didn't leave me breathless (ba dum tssh), and I never got through his first novel, Open Swimmer. I guess it's more the latter two works that are holding down my assessment, especially as I heard some of his newer stuff like Eyrie is more similar to Breath. Which of his other books would you recommend I check out?

Stevie B

Current Member
Re: Winton, I agree Cloudstreet is amazing. Breath, though, didn't leave me breathless (ba dum tssh), and I never got through his first novel, Open Swimmer. I guess it's more the latter two works that are holding down my assessment, especially as I heard some of his newer stuff like Eyrie is more similar to Breath. Which of his other books would you recommend I check out?
FYI - I liked your post about Winton. The :mad: emoji is for the pun. :p
You might consider checking out Shallows by Winton. I liked that one when I read it years ago. I've also heard good things about The Riders. By the way, I stumbled on a rare Australian first edition copy of Open Swimmer in a used bookstore in Vancouver, Canada (of all places) about twenty years (yet I still haven't read it). ?‍♂️ Update: I just checked the Advanced Book Exchange for first edition copies of Open Swimmer and only found two. The cheapest copy is selling for more than $300 (not that I'll be able to retire early, but I think I paid around $5 for mine :)).

Last edited:

redhead

Blahblahblah
FYI - I liked your post about Winton. The :mad: emoji is for the pun. :p
You might consider checking out Shallows by Winton. I liked that one when I read it years ago. I've also heard good things about The Riders. By the way, I stumbled on a rare Australian first edition copy of Open Swimmer in a used bookstore in Vancouver, Canada about twenty years (yet I still haven't read it). ?‍♂️

I assume you're angry because you didn't think of that pun first

And thanks for the recs! I'd forgotten about The Riders, but that title had jumped out at me when I read Cloudstreet years ago and looked at his other books.