Top ten Latin American novels in the last decade

Phil D

Despite not knowing exactly what they mean with "last decade" (2010's or 2013-2023) it looks as a good selection. Haven't read all of them and some of them are not of my taste but still think it's worth sharing.

Any favourites to recommend?
I loved Temporada de huracanes and (especially) Poeta chileno, have enjoyed Mariana Enríquez's short stories but haven't read Nuestra parte de la noche yet, didn't really like the books I've read by Guadalupe Nettel and Valeria Luiselli (not from this list), and haven't read anything by the others.

Leseratte

Johnny

Has anyone read Renato Cisneros, I see his name come up a bit, if so would you recommend? Thanks

Leseratte

Text above In English( basic editing only):

The most remarkable Brazilian fiction books of the last decade​

Twenty critics, journalists and cultural managers indicate the national books - novels, short stories, poems - that marked their readings in the last ten years

FD
Flavia Denise de Magellan - Special for MS
JR
Joao Renato Faria
16/04/2021 04:00 - updated 24/09/2021 09:31

20210415230545780485o.jpeg

Define what is most interesting, remarkable and significant was produced in the brazilian literature in the last decade it has been a difficult task. After all, after all, it is impossible to read all the production of a country over such an extensive and diverse period as the last 10 years in Brazil – for good and for evil. To make a mapping of what has been produced of more remarkable in fiction in the last decade in the country, the Thought contacted 20 – people among them, teachers, cultural producers and critics, who are dedicated to the reading and analysis of contemporary national production.

They were asked to produce lists according to their personal preferences, without necessarily ranking the selected titles. The term “best” was avoided, precisely because of the subjectivity of the proposed selection. They also did not have to justify their choices, although several chose to do so.

Ten men and 10 women from Minas Gerais and other Brazilian states listed 10 books of fiction, between novels, short stories and poetry published in the country between 2010 and 2020. Reprints and reissues were left out, as well as the whole universe of non-fiction (essays, reports, biographies). The result is a selection governed by diversity.

There were 129 citations, from independent productions to best sellers. Among the five most remembered, three books were written by women and three are by black authors. Starting with the champion of citations, “Torto arado”, which entered 11 of the 20 lists. “Surprises by the strength of the characters and the beauty of the story”, said Simone Pessoa, bookseller at Livraria Ouvidor. The literary critic Jose Castello compared the novel of Baiano Itamar Vieira Junior, which has sold more than a hundred thousand copies , to the work of giants of the letters of the 20th century. “Retakes the – tradition today repressed, not to say renegade – of the great Brazilian realists, such as Graciliano Ramos, Jorge Amado and Ze Lins of Rego”, highlights the author of the biography of Vinicius de Moraes.

Read an excerpt from "Torto Arado" by Itamar Vieira Junior

With her “The book of similarities”, the poet Ana Martins Marques from Minas Gerais was remembered in eight lists. “The precariousness of the word, the intrinsic impossibility of names, is the main theme of this extraordinary book of poems, in which the unbridgeable gulf between words and things, words and images resurfaces”, said Guiomar de Grammont, general coordinator of the Forum of Letters. “It is noticeable the way in which the quality of each poem itself is amplified and articulated in the intelligent and sensitive structuring of the book as a whole”, completed Professor Andrea Soares Santos, from the department of Language and Technology of Cefet-MG.

Dead in 2017, Elvira Vigna did not have time to see the highlight given to her “As if we were in a palimpsest of whores”, indicated by six guests. “My favorite book of the decade. A masterpiece that, in Vigna's sharp phrases, gets even better”, justified critic Mateus Baldi. “Olhos d'Água’”, by Conceicao Evaristo, ranked in five lists. “Without any idealizations , here are recreated with firmness and talent the harsh conditions faced by the afro-Brazilian community”, said Etiene Martins, Bantu bookstore, specializing in works by black authors.

Paulo Scott's “Brown and yellow” also earned five mentions. “Brings another perspective to the debate, mainly of what it is to be black in a racist country, although of black majority. An extremely necessary book”, pointed out the Pernambuco critic Ney Anderson, from the blog “Creative anguish”.

Like all artistic production, literature has not passed unscathed by the numerous changes of the last 10 years of the country. Deep political and economic crises have left their mark on the work of writers, who have not shied away from addressing issues such as slave labor, quotas, racism, misogyny, sexism, climate crisis and authoritarianism. The rise of self-publishing was also present: four of the books listed were funded by the authors themselves.

It is also important to note that the works remembered are part of the last wave of fictional production before the pandemic of the new coronavirus. In addition to good literature, the selected works that also serve as a kind of subjective mapping of the country we leave backwards. Certainly, the thousands of deaths, isolation and other changes caused by COVID-19 will leave their marks on the literary production of the decade that begins under the sign of helplessness and mourning.

Sadly I myself read only Torto Arado.

Phil D

No love for Brazil... :cry:

Sometimes I think Brazilians aren't from Latin American.
Was gonna say the same thing. No French either.

Librotea is from Spain (part of El País and Grupo Prisa) and it's mostly portal for selling books I think, so not surprising they made the slip.

Leseratte

Was gonna say the same thing. No French either.

Librotea is from Spain (part of El País and Grupo Prisa) and it's mostly portal for selling books I think, so not surprising they made the slip.
I didn´t mention French Guiana, that is always forgotten, also by Brazilians.

Daniel del Real

Any favourites to recommend?
I loved Temporada de huracanes and (especially) Poeta chileno, have enjoyed Mariana Enríquez's short stories but haven't read Nuestra parte de la noche yet, didn't really like the books I've read by Guadalupe Nettel and Valeria Luiselli (not from this list), and haven't read anything by the others.
I expected way more from Nuestra parte de noche; it's not that bad but I think it's way too long (150 to 200pp more than it should be). Being a great short story writer, you can tell a novel, and especially a quite large one, it's hard to tackle for her. Still very good at creating dark atmospheres, landscapes and imagery but her characters are sometimes flat, very schematic. I like her way more as a short story writer.
The same applies for Guadalupe Nettel. Her novels are not my cup of tea.
I've never read Mónica Ojeda or Brenda Navarro, but I'm curious to check her output: Ojeda as a short story writer and Navarro with her two nouvelles.
Laughable to have Arriaga and Luiselli, even more with Desierto Sonoro which is not even written in Spanish.
Also, having 6 out of 10 Mexican writers in this list is excessive

Stevie B

Current Member
The "top ten" anything is always subjective, but here are ten widely acclaimed Latin American novels from the last decade that have garnered critical praise and reader buzz:

1. "Fever Dream" by Samanta Schweblin (Argentina, 2014): A chilling novella exploring motherhood, bodily autonomy, and the unsettling border between reality and fiction.

2. "Seven Empty Houses" by Samanta Schweblin (Argentina, 2015): Another disturbing masterpiece by Schweblin, this novel intertwines stories of missing people and haunted places in a mesmerizing way.

3. "Distancia de rescate" (Rescue Distance) by Samantha Schweblin (Argentina, 2018): A haunting meditation on motherhood, fear, and the environment, solidifying Schweblin as a major voice in contemporary Latin American literature.

4. "A Cop in the Amazon" by Iván Thays (Peru, 2012): A gritty crime thriller set in the Peruvian Amazon, exploring corruption, environmental exploitation, and the complex realities of the region.

5. "Diez mil pájaros y una niña" (Ten Thousand Birds and a Girl) by Pía Barros (Chile, 2013): A poignant coming-of-age story set during the Pinochet dictatorship, weaving personal struggles with historical context.

6. "Flesh and Bone" by Mónica Ojeda (Argentina, 2012): A disturbing and experimental exploration of desire, violence, and the female body, blurring the lines between reality and dreams.

7. "Fever" by Fernanda Melchor (Mexico, 2015): A raw and brutal depiction of poverty, violence, and social injustice in rural Mexico, drawing comparisons to Elena Ferrante.

8. "Canícula" (Dog Days) by Alonso Cueto (Peru, 2016): A historical novel set in 1980s Peru, exploring the Shining Path insurgency and its impact on individuals and society.

9. "The Cemetery of Splendor" by Fernando del Paso (Mexico, 2011): A sprawling, ambitious historical novel spanning centuries of Mexican history, told through the voices of diverse characters.

10. "Miss Marlene" by Gabriela García Márquez (Colombia, 2010): A previously unpublished manuscript by literary giant Marquez, offering a glimpse into his early writing style and exploration of memory and time.

Remember, this list just scratches the surface! The last decade has seen a flourishing of Latin American literature, so delve deeper and discover your own hidden gems.
Welcome to the Forum, xatal. Would you, by chance, happen to be the literary agent for Samanta Schweblin? ;)

Daniel del Real

The "top ten" anything is always subjective, but here are ten widely acclaimed Latin American novels from the last decade that have garnered critical praise and reader buzz:

1. "Fever Dream" by Samanta Schweblin (Argentina, 2014): A chilling novella exploring motherhood, bodily autonomy, and the unsettling border between reality and fiction.

2. "Seven Empty Houses" by Samanta Schweblin (Argentina, 2015): Another disturbing masterpiece by Schweblin, this novel intertwines stories of missing people and haunted places in a mesmerizing way.

3. "Distancia de rescate" (Rescue Distance) by Samantha Schweblin (Argentina, 2018): A haunting meditation on motherhood, fear, and the environment, solidifying Schweblin as a major voice in contemporary Latin American literature.

4. "A Cop in the Amazon" by Iván Thays (Peru, 2012): A gritty crime thriller set in the Peruvian Amazon, exploring corruption, environmental exploitation, and the complex realities of the region.

5. "Diez mil pájaros y una niña" (Ten Thousand Birds and a Girl) by Pía Barros (Chile, 2013): A poignant coming-of-age story set during the Pinochet dictatorship, weaving personal struggles with historical context.

6. "Flesh and Bone" by Mónica Ojeda (Argentina, 2012): A disturbing and experimental exploration of desire, violence, and the female body, blurring the lines between reality and dreams.

7. "Fever" by Fernanda Melchor (Mexico, 2015): A raw and brutal depiction of poverty, violence, and social injustice in rural Mexico, drawing comparisons to Elena Ferrante.

8. "Canícula" (Dog Days) by Alonso Cueto (Peru, 2016): A historical novel set in 1980s Peru, exploring the Shining Path insurgency and its impact on individuals and society.

9. "The Cemetery of Splendor" by Fernando del Paso (Mexico, 2011): A sprawling, ambitious historical novel spanning centuries of Mexican history, told through the voices of diverse characters.

10. "Miss Marlene" by Gabriela García Márquez (Colombia, 2010): A previously unpublished manuscript by literary giant Marquez, offering a glimpse into his early writing style and exploration of memory and time.

Remember, this list just scratches the surface! The last decade has seen a flourishing of Latin American literature, so delve deeper and discover your own hidden gems.

This list is just stupid.

First, it has the same novel twice. Distancia de rescate IS Fever dream. Then, number two, Seven empty houses is not a novel but a book of short stories. It even won the Premio Ribera del Duero which is an award for this type of narrative. At least you had the decency not to include Kentukis (Little eyes) which is the worst novela latinoamericana I've read in a decade.
Then you have GGM and Del Paso who died more than a decade ago!
Finally, not strange to have Fernanda Melchor in this kind of lists, but if you do, it has to be with Temporada de Huracanes.
This list seems to be made by some sort of AI app, with a lot of questiong marks put in the "intelligence" term.

Last edited: