Peter Handke

Liam

Administrator
Good to hear they've reused the intro! :)

Yeah, that's the trouble with paperbacks: they often use awful, cheap paper-stock, :(

Last edited:

Johnny

Absolutely, really looking forward to this. Does anyone know when the English version will be published?

Ahhhh The Fruit Thief has just become available in Portugal. I needs it :p

Lucky @Corswandt

View attachment 743

That's the first significant new translation of Handke's works to be released here after the Nobel. Translations of a couple of very short works by Handke were published a couple of months ago or so, but their price was so excessive considering their length that it was obvious they were mere cash grabs.

This one on the other hand looks just like the sort of book I'll buy for my father and that he'll hate. For the record, he's got much better taste in literature than I do, but less patience; if he doesn't like a book, he'll toss it aside after around 40 pages (or less).

Last edited:

Bartleby

Spanish translation is available, but the real thieves here are the publishers with that stratospheric price.
I have that on my kindle ?, but I’m not sure I’d be able to read handke in Spanish comfortably...

the Portuguese publishers just responded me saying they won’t make it available in ebook format, at least not just yet :(

Bartleby

This review got me excited for that book awhile back.

I loved that review, especially the last sentence (translated by me, which reads):

Peter Handke in this novel also defends that the writer’s responsibility, in the first place, is with the word, with its careful and truthful use. And, by extension, with human being’s suffering. He never denied war crimes, nor has he defended dictators or was criminals. No one who reads his books about the Balkan wars (A Journey to the Rivers: Justice for Serbia; Asking through the Tears) will be able to sustain the contrary.
It made me even more willing to read Justice for Sevia (not sure if the other one is available in English (the German full title is: Unter Tränen fragend. Nachträgliche Aufzeichnungen von zwei Jugoslawien-Durchquerungen im Krieg, März und April), so I can have my own opinion on that.

I have this felling people willingly misunderstood him, they’re so keen on this idea of one sole perpetrator of the war, that him being willing to just be a witness that bad things also happened in Serbia as well got people mad. As of now I see his writings as purely witness (again I haven’t read them, I might be wrong), his introduction to A Journey through the Rivers suggests that.

so I’m willing to read his more political texts and try to be as critical as possible, to not in any way condone him because I love his works. I’d be very much open to accept instances where he were wrong or offensive in his writings.

I’ll also read that review Red published about the book after I read it, to compare my thoughts with that of the reviewer’s.

Last edited:

Bartleby

Thought they wouldn’t even have interviewed him, but have :p
The video came out in June but I only realised it a couple of weeks ago.

Really interesting insights into his creative process, even if it’s a bit hard to understand at parts, since he doesn’t speak English very well.

Last edited:

nagisa

Spiky member
I have this felling people willingly misunderstood him, they’re so keen on this idea of one sole perpetrator of the war, that him being willing to just be a witness that bad things also happened in Serbia as well got people mad.
Why can't he be a great writer with terrible politics? Why does he have to be "misunderstood"? (And why doesn't the opinion of so many Balkan writers count for you?)

Bartleby

nagisa

Spiky member
I prefer not to go over it. I’ve learned to value friendship, conviviality, over such debates...
but to provide an answer, I know you’ve already dismissed this source, but this is why

https://thegoaliesanxiety.wordpress...iled-response-to-the-nobel-prize-controversy/
I did not "dismiss" it, I countered it with this source in English, which has several sources in German, which shows the astounding bad faith of this document — commissioned, I remind you, by Handke's own publishing company (and posted in the version you gave by Handke's English translator, with whom he had a jaunt in 1998 to a hotel which was well-known for the acts of rape and ethnic cleasing that happened there only years earlier). Let's be critical about the value of such a piece for redeeming Handke. This piece shows pretty well the ugly, ethnicizing simplifications and deformations Handke brings to the Balkan wars.

Why you insist that there's a "misunderstanding", against all the evidence and testimony of other writers, many of them Balkan and possessing a better grasp of what's being said about their region, is beyond me. Attempts to nuance and "both-sides" complex situations rightly fail when one side does in fact carry most of the blame, and it's cruel and irresponsible to continue to do so despite all evidence; not some lofty artistic commitment to apolitical aesthetics. (I simply cannot fathom the desire to separate Handke from politics: his support for Serbia, apart from the family connection to Yugoslavia, comes directly from his political opinions that Germany spurred the war by prematurely recognizing the "secession" of Slovenia and Croatia from Yugoslavia, combined with his anti-American/anti-NATO leftist politics).

It's ok for a writer to be a horrible person and great artist. Céline, Pound, Mishima were not "misunderstood".

Last edited:

Bartleby

I did not "dismiss" it, I countered it with this source in English, which has several sources in German, which shows the astounding bad faith of this document — commissioned, I remind you, by Handke's own publishing company (and posted in the version you gave by Handke's English translator, with whom he had a jaunt in 1998 to a hotel which was well-known for the acts of rape and ethnic cleasing that happened there only years earlier). Let's be critical about the value of such a piece for redeeming Handke. This piece shows pretty well the ugly, ethnicizing simplifications and deformations Handke brings to the Balkan wars.

Why you insist that there's a "misunderstanding", against all the evidence and testimony of other writers, many of them Balkan and possessing a better grasp of what's being said about their region, is beyond me. Attempts to nuance and "both-sides" complex situations rightly fail when one side does in fact carry most of the blame, and it's cruel and irresponsible to continue to do so despite all evidence; not some lofty artistic commitment to apolitical aesthetics. (I simply cannot fathom the desire to separate Handke from politics: his support for Serbia, apart from the family connection to Yugoslavia, comes directly from his political opinions that Germany spurred the war by prematurely recognizing the "secession" of Slovenia and Croatia from Yugoslavia, combined with his anti-American/anti-NATO leftist politics).

It's ok for a writer to be a horrible person and great artist. Céline, Pound, Mishima were not "misunderstood".
Oh I see, I understand your point, but if you don’t mind I really don’t want to go over it again...

And as for your link I’m truly sorry, but I just cannot stomach Maas. Today he penned an article titled “Winner of Nobel Literature Prize Should Refuse to Accept It” :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

oh, and about the other link, a review of Handke’s A Journey Through the Rivers, as I said before, I’ll read it after I read the book ?

Last edited:

JFJS

Reader
Ahhhh The Fruit Thief has just become available in Portugal. I needs it :p

Lucky @Corswandt

View attachment 743

Hey Bartleby!

Don't know if you already got it or if you're still interested in the book!

Check out their website! They have a notice about international shipping being cheaper than before.

Maybe it's still very expensive but I thought maybe you would be interested!

Bartleby

Hey Bartleby!

Don't know if you already got it or if you're still interested in the book!

Check out their website! They have a notice about international shipping being cheaper than before.

Maybe it's still very expensive but I thought maybe you would be interested!
Oh, thank you for your kindness... but although it’s indeed cheaper, the price of the book plus shipping would still be too much for me (about 178 reais — our currency)... and besides, I don’t think I’d have the time to read it till after December, anyway hehe I better just wait for the English or Brazilian Portuguese translation...

nagisa

Spiky member
Oh I see, I understand your point, but if you don’t mind I really don’t want to go over it again...

And as for your link I’m truly sorry, but I just cannot stomach Maas. Today he penned an article titled “Winner of Nobel Literature Prize Should Refuse to Accept It” :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
You don't like Maas, that's fine, but you can engage with his arguments (like his finding that Handke did a jaunt to Serbia's "rape hotel" just as the Balkan wars were heating up again). Or those of Aleksandar Hemon. Or of Sasa Stanisic. Or other writers and intellectuals who chose to look beyond just his aesthetics.

Again, why you insist that he's "misunderstood" baffles me, especially as you've not read the texts under consideration yet. You say "As of now I see his writings as purely witness": and that's the problem. You've decided (prejudged) that he's an impartial witness who's being terribly misunderstood, and dismiss the possibility that his "witnessing" may be entirely biased, one-sided (he only visits Serbia! He doesn't even go to the ethnically cleansed "Serb" pieces carved out of Croatia!), and yes, revisionist/negationist. As Stasinic says, "he puts forth that he doesn't know the truth, and then serves lies; he finds himself against facts, only to set up his findings as facts".

Again, writers can be bad people, and still write beautifully.

Bartleby

You don't like Maas, that's fine, but you can engage with his arguments (like his finding that Handke did a jaunt to Serbia's "rape hotel" just as the Balkan wars were heating up again). Or those of Aleksandar Hemon. Or of Sasa Stanisic. Or other writers and intellectuals who chose to look beyond just his aesthetics.

Again, why you insist that he's "misunderstood" baffles me, especially as you've not read the texts under consideration yet. You say "As of now I see his writings as purely witness": and that's the problem. You've decided (prejudged) that he's an impartial witness who's being terribly misunderstood,
oh ok just to justify myself, I was referring to the many texts written about him like the one recently brought up again with quotes from Handke himself, and these ones I posted in the first page of this thread: