Peter Handke

nagisa

Spiky member
oh ok just to justify myself, I was referring to the many texts written about him like the one recently brought up again with quotes from Handke himself, and these ones I posted in the first page of this thread:

Yes, the self-serving document compiled by his own publishing house, and two texts defending him by a freakin' Assadist (using the the same damn rhetorical tactics: just asking impertinent questions to shock the bien-pensants [anyone who uses that word unironically is sus IMHO], bad people on both sides, the media as scheming demonizers, etc etc etc)

This is what happens when you try to extract politics from a literature where it is literally burned in the text. This is what happens when vulgar-leftist anti-americanism is left to fester. (And I say this as a US-critical leftist!)

JFJS

Reader
Oh, thank you for your kindness... but although it’s indeed cheaper, the price of the book plus shipping would still be too much for me (about 178 reais — our currency)... and besides, I don’t think I’d have the time to read it till after December, anyway hehe I better just wait for the English or Brazilian Portuguese translation...

That's a shame! I have to say, all the discussion regarding Handke's Nobel got me curious. I have two of his books that I bought a few years ago, but this was an excellent excuse to get The Fruit Thief like the hoarder I am ? Just came back from the library, sat and read a few pages and I quite enjoyed it!

I also just realized that I've watched a Wim Wenders adaptation of one of his books. The Beautiful Days of Aranjuez. I rememeber I hated it. Maybe I should watch it again.

I hope you can get the book soon! If it wasn't for all of this circumstances it would be my absolute pleasure to send you the book as a gift.
I have much love for Brazil, and a lot of Brazilian friends, I know that's an absurd amount of money for a book.

Bartleby

That's a shame! I have to say, all the discussion regarding Handke's Nobel got me curious. I have two of his books that I bought a few years ago, but this was an excellent excuse to get The Fruit Thief like the hoarder I am ? Just came back from the library, sat and read a few pages and I quite enjoyed it!

I also just realized that I've watched a Wim Wenders adaptation of one of his books. The Beautiful Days of Aranjuez. I rememeber I hated it. Maybe I should watch it again.

I hope you can get the book soon! If it wasn't for all of this circumstances it would be my absolute pleasure to send you the book as a gift.
I have much love for Brazil, and a lot of Brazilian friends, I know that's an absurd amount of money for a book.
I remember liking that film, although it can definitely be seen as boring hehe I deeply regret having missed the opportunity to have watched it in 3D in the cinemas tho
Btw the actress is Handke’s wife.

oh and for sending the book, it’s again a great kindness of you, but even in normal times I’d have to decline it — it’d be too much...

JFJS

Reader
I remember liking that film, although it can definitely be seen as boring hehe I deeply regret having missed the opportunity to have watched it in 3D in the cinemas tho
Btw the actress is Handke’s wife.

oh and for sending the book, it’s again a great kindness of you, but even in normal times I’d have to decline it — it’d be too much...

I found it straight boring. But I must admit that I probably didn't try to appreciate the movie for what it was! So I've decided to watch it again. Maybe now my biased nobel lenses will find it enjoyable. ?

That 3D experience was probably interesting. From what I remember, which is basically Nick Cave, it was quite beautifull visually. It's a shame that I watched it in a small "movie theater" in dvd.

Handke is also in the movie right? His face was familiar to me, but I coudn't remember from where.

Unfortunately the world is on a crazy ride right now. Otherwise it would be my pleasure. I believe in paying it forward, especially nowadays.

I look forward to read your thoughts about the book when you get it!

On the book itself: Uff. The man is making me smile. Went half blind, but loving it so far.

JFJS

Reader
The Moravian Night is set to be published in Portugal around December. In case anyone might be interested!

Bartleby

In may, Handke was awarded the Ivo Andrić prize (awarded to a book published in Serbia), and he delivered a beautiful short speech:

…in Serbian: I will speak in German. That is my language. Excuse me.

These terrible wars in the Balkans at the end of the century, as absurd as it sounds, had one good outcome: for the first time I read Ivo Andrić closely. And while earlier visits to Yugoslavia had always been on the Adriatic coast, I now travelled into the interior, where there is no sea, where there are only rivers. Like the Drina. And I came to Višegrad.

Ivo Andrić may be the last writer from the 19th Century in whose work the epic energy of Balzac, of Flaubert, and perhaps above all Stendhal, had a final great, tender, and at the same time scathing impetus.

I think that, like Stendhal, Ivo Andrić was a loving child. And always unhappy. Especially in the night. Reading his Notes from the Night, which have been translated into German for the first time, one thinks: Why did Andrić suffer so much? Why did he write that down?

There is a great contradiction between his day’s work and his night’s work.

I am very thankful, not only for the literature of Ivo Andrić, but also for that of Miloš Crnjanski, also for the work of Meša Selimovic, who is especially important for Bosnia, for Sarajevo.

And I am sure—I surely won’t be able to express what I want to say very well—I am sure, whether they are Orthodox, Muslim, Croatian, Serbian writers, I am sure that we, we as writers who are focused on peace and rhythm, on music and on colors and on our shared intentions, that it is not too late for us to come to understand one another, we who are embarked on the great, wonderful expedition that always leads into the Uncertain: literature.

I say this while thinking about the Bosniak writers, about the Albanian writers in Kosovo . . .

I am certain that were I to see them individually, I could come to an understanding with them.

I would like to invite them, as soon as possible—because I am no longer young—to sit together at a table, or perhaps not at a table, perhaps better on the grass or on the shore of a river. And we could, together. . .yes, be together.

Literature may deal with anger, and with rage (which can be good at times), but never with hate. And that’s an important difference.

And finally, I would like to say, I want to greet the other prize recipient, the great Serbian writer Milovan Danojlić. He writes wonderful letters to me. He wrote one of the foundational books of Yugoslavian literature, I say now, Moj dragi Petroviću. I want to greet him, a man who was attentive to others, who was a model to me for attentiveness to others, across the distance between Višegrad and his French exile in Poitiers.

Alright, that is everything.

nagisa

Spiky member
The Ivo Andric Prize is awarded by the Andric Institute in Visegrad; it's in Bosnia, but founded and funded by the governments of Serbia and the Bosnian constituent unit of the Republika Srpska, that Serbia claimed and ethnically cleansed in the Yugoslav wars). It's located in "Andricgrad", Kusturica's self-professed "ethno-town" monument, literally built on the site of genocide.
"The monument is an homage to Nobel prize winning writer Ivo Andric, whose magnum opus chronicles the bloody history of this town. Andricgrad features two mosaics, one dedicated to Gavrilo Princip, the Serbian nationalist attributed with assassinating Franz Ferdinand, the other with Kusturica, Republika Srpska president Milorad Dodik, and others pulling a rope. The painting signifies the struggle it took to build the monument according to tour guides.
President Dodik was sanctioned in January of 2017 for violating the Dayton accords, and his government has been cautioned by the international community for trying to officially open sealed records in order to reduce the body counts at famous sites of atrocity. In an act of surreal cruelty the institute set up in Visegrad by Kusturica states that its main aim is to fight historical negationism."

It's obscene. As if (hypothetically unrepentant) Germans were holding a Kertesz prize in Auschwitz.

Ludus

Reader
The Ivo Andric Prize is awarded by the Andric Institute in Visegrad; it's in Bosnia, but founded and funded by the governments of Serbia and the Bosnian constituent unit of the Republika Srpska, that Serbia claimed and ethnically cleansed in the Yugoslav wars). It's located in "Andricgrad", Kusturica's self-professed "ethno-town" monument, literally built on the site of genocide.
"The monument is an homage to Nobel prize winning writer Ivo Andric, whose magnum opus chronicles the bloody history of this town. Andricgrad features two mosaics, one dedicated to Gavrilo Princip, the Serbian nationalist attributed with assassinating Franz Ferdinand, the other with Kusturica, Republika Srpska president Milorad Dodik, and others pulling a rope. The painting signifies the struggle it took to build the monument according to tour guides.
President Dodik was sanctioned in January of 2017 for violating the Dayton accords, and his government has been cautioned by the international community for trying to officially open sealed records in order to reduce the body counts at famous sites of atrocity. In an act of surreal cruelty the institute set up in Visegrad by Kusturica states that its main aim is to fight historical negationism."

It's obscene. As if (hypothetically unrepentant) Germans were holding a Kertesz prize in Auschwitz.

I knew something fishy was going on there!

Bartleby

I’m not sure I understand the implications of this award (too complicated for me), but well if I say he can’t control the jurors you’ll reply he could’ve just declined it? And it’s a fair point... but I guess we can all agree his ultimate speech is a beautiful call to making peace through conversation and the beauty of Literature (while acknowledging the awful wars that took place there and their consequences)?

nagisa

Spiky member
I guess we can all agree his ultimate speech is a beautiful call to making peace through conversation and the beauty of Literature (while acknowledging the awful wars that took place there and their consequences)?
Not when that beautiful reconciliation speech is belied by everything its organizers stand for and are still active in furthering: the downplaying of genocide. Talk is cheap, but this is beyond that, this is perfidious.

Last edited:

Salixacaena

I’m not sure I understand the implications of this award (too complicated for me), but well if I say he can’t control the jurors you’ll reply he could’ve just declined it? And it’s a fair point... but I guess we can all agree his ultimate speech is a beautiful call to making peace through conversation and the beauty of Literature (while acknowledging the awful wars that took place there and their consequences)?

The institute was founded in 2013 and is funded by both the Republic of Srpska and Serbia. It's run by film director Emir Kusturica. He supported Russia annexing Crimea and attended Putin's inauguration in 2012. He's personal friends with Handke. He supports Serbia reclaiming (through war) Kosovo. The institute runs events and lectures where they insist on educating Muslims in the region about the history of religion in the area and they always conclude - essentially - "see it's scientific, you're not really a Muslim." They're trying to prop up Serbian nationalism and genocide against Kosovo (which is 95% Muslim). They want to drive Muslims out of the region since Serbs consider it Christian.

Essentially, it's an award given by an institute funded by the government that supports Serbian nationalism and ethnic cleansing. Most of the heads of this institute think Serbia should invade Kosovo and restart the conflicts that lasted throughout the 90s. They may have legitimate literary and artistic events/research going on but at the end of the day they're a government mouthpiece.

It's hypocritical for Handke, who's denied genocide before, to accept an award from an institution that wants to start wars and give some spiel about peace and love.

Troving through their very poorly functioning site provides all sorts of "beautiful" fun like this 2019 lecture that was given there: Pete Handke - Apostle of Truth (what a title lol)

"The truth that Peter Handke received the Nobel Prize best confirms the idea that an independent Kosovo should never be recognized - said Kusturica at the beginning of tonight's lecture."

"We have a long way to go to prove our innocence, but we have to prove it. We found our archaeologist in Handke - Kusturica pointed out at a lecture at the Andrić Institute, of which he is the director."

He rambles on about World War 2 and then essentially says Serbia shouldn't wait to try and take back Kosovo and that Handke is some great intellect pushing back against liberals.

They held a roundtable discussion where they decided that members of the institute should try to pressure history textbook writers in the region to discuss the causes of civil war from a pro-Serbian Perspective:

"the very serious problem of teaching history in Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia, about gross inconsistencies and forgeries in textbooks, especially in terms of the interpretation of the causes of the civil war in the former Yugoslavia."

" from the meeting an appeal was sent to institutions funded by citizens’ funds, dealing with science and culture, to more seriously devote themselves to systematic work on the protection of Serbian national interests."

Aside from two or three other Serbs it looks like the only other foreign winner of this award is Yu Hua.

Last edited:

Bartleby

Well, anyway, I’m happy Handke’s Brazilian publisher is preparing a translation of the awarded book (The Second Sword: May Story), I’m eager to reading it. Also he’s written a novella this year and by the description it sounds very interesting. I hope it gets translated soon.

Last edited:

Bartleby

This time around, I’m afraid, I am going to have to do my nickname justice. For enough has been said about the Handke case here and on the 2019 nobel prize thread by me and you and everyone else already.

All I’m going to say is I care about beauty, about literature, about love, about trying to see the good in others, about accepting forgiveness, about not clinging to hate.
Peace be to all.

Salixacaena

I wasn’t even trying to stir up shit about Handke himself, my point was more so just that this institute and it’s new Grand Prize are essentially a sham.
They have an ongoing Andric award they give yearly to individual works in Serbian. This Grand version of the prize seems to have little criteria or explanation other than that it’s for a singular author (although sometimes also two a year).

The same year Yu Hua won it they gave it to a Serbian songwriter countering the Nobel’s Dylan win and made a bunch of cheesy statements about “rockers” and “rock n roll will never die” and stuff.

Any time on their site Kusturica discusses Andric or how other author’s work relate to his/are similar all he ever mentions is The Bridge on the River Drina. It makes it seem like he’s either never actually read Andric or that he’s just read his most popular novel, which is bizarre given that he’s literally running and heading this Andric institute.

redhead

Blahblahblah
This time around, I’m afraid, I am going to have to do my nickname justice.

But you are offering an answer: indifference. And it’s not clinging to hate. It’s even still ongoing:

They held a roundtable discussion where they decided that members of the institute should try to pressure history textbook writers in the region to discuss the causes of civil war from a pro-Serbian Perspective

Last edited:

nagisa

Spiky member
This time around, I’m afraid, I am going to have to do my nickname justice. For enough has been said about the Handke case here and on the 2019 nobel prize thread by me and you and everyone else already.

All I’m going to say is I care about beauty, about literature, about love, about trying to see the good in others, about accepting forgiveness, about not clinging to hate.
Peace be to all.
Cool. Except it's hard to see the good in people when they won't stop the harm they're doing, and it's hard to forgive if they won't admit their mistake. And the only ones clinging to their hate are the Serb nationalist revanchists.

By all means, have your problematic fave. I have many. But I know exactly *why* they're problematic and I'll be the first to explain why. It doesn't make you sound above the fray or part of an aesthete elite when you say things like "it's too complicated" or "all I care about is beauty, literature and love": it makes you sound like you don't care about ethnic cleansing and (ongoing!!) genocide denialism.