Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 Speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevie B

Current Member
Of course, here is:

"for his unparalleled ability to use the written word and whimsical illustrations to captivate the imaginations of generations".

Would it be ChatGPT an another generator of blah-blah-blah or could it be an inventive and useful framework?
Thanks, Benny. I somehow expected more. I guess ChatGPT does not rate highly when it comes to humor and wit.

Morbid Swither

"Literature is as old as speech. It grew out of a human need for it, and it has not changed except to become more needed."

Alexis Wright represents the oldest unbroken culture on Earth and in her latest novel she tackles the climate emergency.

"Long after the lesser concerns of contemporary fiction have ceased to matter, the work of Alexis Wright will remain." – The Guardian
Thought I would share this link as it may be of wider interest. I have not yet read Praiseworthy (but did preorder the forthcoming New Directions release), but Carpentaria is likely the best book I’ve read this year so far, and I also enjoyed The Swan Book. I find her to be a very inspiring individual, a worthy laureate despite her—only comparatively—sparse output, and hope she gives readers more to savor!

zhang wei

I'd like to know your opinion on Yan Lianke. Currently reading a third book, I still don't know what to think of his writing.
I started with Dream of the Ding Village, which was not remarkable at all. Decided to give him a second chance with The Explosion Chronicles and I really liked it. In this novel, which is a complete satire, irony and wit are very well blended with an agile narrative, building an extraordinary novel. With the good taste from this novel I purchased The Four Books and started it last week. Even though having a fascinating historical theme like the Great Leap Forward and being able to beautifully describe landscapes close to the Yellow River, the plot is tedious, repetitive and frankly, not providing a new perspective about it. It also lacks the causticity and humor of Chronicles, going for a more straighftorward witness literature.
Besides, he has a lot of translated novels, most of them quite large, so it's hard to know which could be the best among them.
The Four Books and Lenin’s Kisses are his most famous works in China.In fact,he was known by people from Lenin’s Kisses in 2003.Lenin’s Kisses shocked the entire Chinese literary world that year.

zhang wei

Yes. Lianke is more interested in describing "Chinese reality" which makes him a social writer, with touches of Faulkner and Marquez. I haven't read Yu Hua, but as you said, his works aren't as social as Lianke due to Bergmanian influences.
Yu Hua is also a social writer,but not as radical as Lianke.To Live is the most famous novel in contemporary China,just like The Great Gatsby in US.It has sold more than 20 million copies in China.

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

Yu Hua is also a social writer,but not as radical as Lianke.To Live is the most famous novel in contemporary China,just like The Great Gatsby in US.It has sold more than 20 million copies in China.
I also perceive him as a social writer, but I think their focuses are different. As I previously said, Yu Hua goes more to the individual and their griefs, obviously caused by a social impact in a larger picture (The great leap forward, Cultural Revolution, etc). This is probably the reason why his characters are more endearing, heart-touching than the ones from Lianke, which act more like a part of a mass or a group.
This is just my perception after reading a couple of novels by each author.

Daniel del Real

What do you think are the chances of Theodor Kallifatides? Born in Greece, Swedish citizen writing mostly in Greek but also in Swedish.
I haven't read him but lately there has been a few of his books translated to Spanish with positive reviews.

Last edited:

Dante

Wild Reader
What do you think are the chances of Theodor Kallifatides? Born in Greece, Swedish citizen writing mostly in Greek but also in Swedish.
I haven't read him but lately there has been a few of his books translated to Spanish with positive reviews.
I never heard of him. Honestly, I would never have even considered such an author as a likely winner (I am not referring to his value, I haven't read him), but I've lost many of my certainties by now. I call it "Gurnah's effect".

Benny Profane

I never heard of him, Daniel. I read some interviews with him for Portuguese media vehicles and I could notice that his works are based on social experiences and historical plots.
Am I right?

Last edited:

Leseratte

Su Tong
A writer at the same level as Yu Hua, and also a good friend of Yu Hua.His most famous novel, Raise the Red Lantern, was adapted into a film by Zhang Yimou and nominated for Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film in 1991.He is regarded as the best Chinese male writer who specializes in women's stories.He was also nominated for the Man Booker International Prize for The Boat to Redemption in 2011.

Since last year, Su Tong and Yu Hua have taken part in a TV show together.
View attachment 2211
I saw the film. Here in Brazil it was called "Lanternas Vermelhas" and I warmly recommend it. Thank you for this panorama of Chinese writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.