Johnny's latest activity

• J
    Johnny reacted to tiganeasca's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Like Like.
    Although I finished this some time ago, I only just now realized that I neglected to review it. ?? Xiaolu Guo, Village of Stone...
  • J
    Johnny replied to the thread The Nobel Library.
    No problem, really great post on Sara Danius.
  • J
    Johnny replied to the thread The Nobel Library.
    Great post and a reminder what a great loss Sara Danius’ untimely passing was to literature. Small correction Banville is Irish, not...
  • J
    Johnny replied to the thread International Booker Prize.
    Agreed, still Via Gemito remains high on the TBR. Maybe I’m being cynical but 6 different books in 6 different languages from 6...
  • J
    Was it not Gospodinov with Time Shelter?
  • J
    Agreed, seems a light enough list. The 2 standouts for me are Solenoid and Praiseworthy. Both authors seem to be getting a lot of...
  • J
    Johnny reacted to Bartleby's post in the thread The Writers' Prize with Like Like.
    Liz Berry won the poetry prize and the overall award for her novel in verse The Home Child. Additionally, Anne Enright received the...
  • J
    Johnny reacted to tiganeasca's post in the thread International Booker Prize with Like Like.
    I agree completely. In addition, I think it harms the reputation of writers and literature from that country in general. If a badly...
  • J
    Yes I agree the Starnone book jumped off the list for me as the most interesting, also. I’ve read him before and liked his writing a...
  • J
    Johnny reacted to Bartleby's post in the thread International Booker Prize with Like Like.
    Crooked Plow being longlisted is a great excuse for me to finally catch up with this already much (in)famous book. It won several prizes...
  • J
    I just bought Mourning by Halfon, will be very interested to see if it’s as good. Cancion is on the Dublin International literary...
  • J
    Johnny reacted to Phil D's post in the thread International Booker Prize with Like Like.
    I read that one last year too and really liked it. Been intending to read more by Halfon ever since but haven't gotten around to it.
  • J
    Haven’t read any of them, disappointing not to see Cancion by Eduardo Halfon on the list, just finished it and it’s great, will post a...
  • J
    Johnny reacted to Verkhovensky's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Like Like.
    I have this book for ages now but haven't started it yet. I've read his short novel about Michelangelo and enjoyed it.
  • J
    Johnny reacted to nagisa's post in the thread Recently finished books? with Like Like.
    I remember picking over books in the big fleamarket north of Paris a decade and a half ago (!!), and being told by the bookseller, with...