Search results

1. Verkhovensky

Non-Writer Obituaries

He helped Kevin find the hotel lobby in the classic that is Home Alone 2: Alone in New York.
  2. Verkhovensky

Recently Begun Books

I mean, you can major in Portuguese in Zagreb, so I guess there are plenty of people that at least theoretically can translate from Portuguese. There are two or three most famous translators, and they sometimes translate Brazilians - of course your dear Coelho, but there are a few translations...
  3. Verkhovensky

Recently Begun Books

I'm a big fan of Agualusa! I liked My Father's Wives most of his books that I've read, however I haven't yet read Chameleons. Maybe this sounds strange, but I think I agree that Couto is a superior writer, although I like Agualusa's books more.
  4. Verkhovensky

Elfriede Jelinek

She is much more misanthropic. When reading her, you just feel that contempt towards humanity... I read her early novel Women as Lovers last year, and it just gets you thinking: Dear Elfride, why are you so vile? It's even funny in a way. She is so exaggerated, like some sitcom character. edit...
  5. Verkhovensky

International Booker Prize

I don't get it, you are intrigued, yet you don't want to think about it?
  6. Verkhovensky

Understanding Nobel Prize: 1934---1936

I think I already pondered about how the whole debate concerning the literary validity of "genre" literature (crime in particular) wouldn't exist if Chesterton and Greene weren't basically snubbed because of the Anti-Catholic sentinement in the Academy. Greene is in particular eggrarious, as...
  7. Verkhovensky

WLF Reading List 2024

I read it a long time ago, but isn't the age gap in GGM's Memoirs of my Melancoly Whores something ridiculous. Like 90-year old guy falls in "love" with 15-year old girl.
  8. Verkhovensky

Dante, have you read Starnone's novel Ties by any chance?
  9. Verkhovensky

Portuguese translation(s) & publishing

It looks like a varied selection of some of the most critically acclaimed poets born circa 1945-1965. They mostly belong to postmodernism stylistically. Some names are more famous for their political activity but I guess you get that when the Ministry finances something. I don't really read...
  10. Verkhovensky

Recently finished books?

I mean, they gave it to many not that peaceful guys during the years :ROFLMAO:
  11. Verkhovensky

Recently finished books?

Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Until August 3- Better than Melancholy Whores. A solid novella that can be read in one sitting. Doesn't seem unfinished at all.
  12. Verkhovensky

Oh, so similar to many countries. It's more often North that is xenophobic towards South, Italy is probably the most famous example.
  13. Verkhovensky

I now wonder which race or nationality is he supposed to be. Indigenous? He is from your city, isn't he? Salvador. Re: Domenico Starnone I'm interested in him as an author since he is one of the names proposed as the person behind Elena Ferrante pseudonym. Both him and his wife are amongst top...
  14. Verkhovensky

Gabriel García Márquez

I'm a weak person my friends. Pointless cash-grab, a tarnish to reputation, probably a weak book... I still bought it. ?
  15. Verkhovensky

Gabriel García Márquez

If Memories of My Melancholy Whores didn't tarnish his reputation, nothing will. Edit: I'm tempted by this one, I admit. Its just around 15€ here. It shows how big he still is - they already published it even in Croatian. And new books here usually cost around 20€, so the price is pretty low...
  16. Verkhovensky

Understanding Nobel Prize: 1916--1919

Yes, and Gabriela chose her pseudonym as an homage to Frederic (and D'Annunzio).
  17. Verkhovensky

Yeah, but that was almost 120 years after this Nobel prize. What is strange in 1904 is that many writers back then were politically active as champions of their nations, but that wasn't held against them. Like Sienkiewicz won a few years later, and back then Poland was part of Russian Empire and...
  18. Verkhovensky

I've read about this since I've never heard about the guy. It seems he belongs to Catalan revival movement and was considered as early as 1904 to share the prize with Mistral since they both wrote in "non-official" languages. But Spanish government lobbied against him and Echegaray was awarded...
  19. Verkhovensky

The 'Recently Watched Films' Thread

Zone of Interest ! It's brilliant. It's a proof that you can tell a story that has been told dozens of times already and still be original and do something new and fresh. Edit: It seems that it is just very loosely based on Martin Amis novel. According to all descriptions of that novel...
  20. Verkhovensky

Recently finished books?

I have this book for ages now but haven't started it yet. I've read his short novel about Michelangelo and enjoyed it.