Search results

1. B

Pulitzer Prizes

An article from The Guardian last year revealed that Pulitzer has included entries for non-US writers, so maybe that's the reason Garza was awarded.
  2. B

Nigerian Literature

Among poetry volumes from Africa in this century, one of the finest remains Sahara Testaments by Tade Ipadeola, which has already acquired something of a classic status. The epic describes the history of Sahara, using as motif to explore migration, pains and suffering of the continent as well a...
  3. B

John Ashbery

Not really my favourite poet, but here are some poems. Example: The nude thing was taken around To various ambarssadorial residences And on the day he had come home To see her, her in the maze of sandwiches Some artisan proposed, He was like a bee in the summer. Remember the reflexive mode...
  4. B

Recently Begun Books

Big Green Tent--- Ludmila Ulitskaya Open Secrets--- Alice Munro Jazz--- Toni Morrison
  5. B

Understanding Nobel Prize: The Lost Years

I was about to ask you (or Benny or Bartleby) if any of you guys can do a little introduction of Bandeira. I'm surprised as you when I found out about the committee working during the war years. The Academy was hoping that they could still award candidates during the war, but the tension was...
  6. B

The Nobel Prizes for 1940 to 1943 were awarded to the impact of the Second World War. Following the award to Silanpaa the previous year in 1939, the following were the shortlisted names for 1940--1943. The shortlist for 1940 prize became: Gabriela Mistral (1945 Laureate) Kostas Palamas...
  7. B

For the first two years, 1914 and 1918, the shortlisted writers were: Dmitry Merezhkovsky W B Yeats (1923 Laureate) Grazia Deledda (1926 Laureate) Carl Spitteler (1919 Laureate) And for the second year, the shortlist were: W B Yeats (1923 Laureate) Knut Hamsun (1920 Laureate) Maxim Gorky...
  8. B

The Nobel Literature Prize weren't awarded for the years 1914 and 1918 and from 1940---1943 due to the impact of the war. However, after going through the reports from these years, apart from 1942, there were, apparently deliberations for some of the candidates with the hope that if the war...
  9. B

Paul Auster (1947-2024)

Very shocked to hear about Auster's demise. I have actually read his wife Siri's books, and I remembered an article I read about her relationship with Auster. Still shocked.
  10. B

Recently Begun Books

I think why part of it is depressive is because Couto was trying to describe a society ravaged/torn by the effects of war. I can say that hellish (or depressive) depiction of societal disintegration of Mozambique's similar to both Antunes and, to some extent, Cela. Quite depressing, yes, but...
  11. B

Recently Begun Books

Among Africans, when we want to mention classic novels, novels usually mentioned are TFa, A Grain of Wheat, Cry the Beloved Country, Famished Road etc, but this novel is simply outstanding and ought to be in discussion along with the aforementioned novels. I haven't read Couto since, but this...
  12. B

WLF Prize 2024 - Lyudmila Ulitskaya

The other link has some issues, here's another
  13. B

WLF Prize 2024 - Lyudmila Ulitskaya

Here's review of Ulitskaya's recent novel Just the Plague
  14. B

Arabic Literature

So sorry for that error, I think the website has some issues. Here are excerpts of the novel
  15. B

Arabic Literature

So sorry for that. I will have to check out the reason for that.
  16. B

Arabic Literature

And also here's review of Barakat's novel The Feathers
  17. B

Arabic Literature

As Salim Barakat has been getting attention lately concerning the Nobel prize, here's excerpts of his autobiographies
  18. B

Ivan Vladislavić

I couldn't find the thread for Ivan Vladislavic, but here is the review of his latest masterpiece Near North. With this work, I'm very confident that he'll be the next African Nobel Laureate.
  19. B

Yu Hua

A review of Yu Hua's most recent novel Lost City. Whether it will prove crucial for his Nobel chances is a thought for another day.
  20. B

The Nobel Library

Let me present how the Nobel Library was during the first week of September between the years 2019-2021. Remember the reading of the shortlisted candidates was between April and August of the year aforementioned. I stated this because in an interview I read about three years ago, Anders Olsson...