Search results

1. D

Pulitzer Prizes

It sounds like she created a creative writing department within the Spanish department, which is awesome.
  2. D

Recently finished books?

It is the first book I've read by him. The other two I bought were The Lost Steps and Explosions in a Cathedral. Haven't read them yet.
  3. D

Recently finished books?

The Kingdom of this World- Alejo Carpentier Marvelous. I bought this and two other newly translated Carpentier novels a few weeks ago. I'm impressed by the structure. It is a short novel, but every few chapters, he shifts focus to other characters and then circles back to Ti Noel, the...
  4. D

Pulitzer Prizes

I think the only criterion for the books, drama and music categories is the nominees have to be US citizens.
  5. D

Recently finished books?

I want to check it out mostly for Laura Linney and Olympia Dukakis!
  6. D

Recently finished books?

Tales of the City, More Tales of the City, Further Tales of the City, and Babycakes-Armistead Maupin. First four books in Maupin's series about San Francisco life. The first three books are pre-AIDS and offer great insight into 70s era gay life. The dialogue is fantastic and the characters are...
  7. D

Non-Writer Obituaries

Weirdly enough, the first time I read American Psycho was during the 2016 primary, and it was...surreal because the specter of Donald Trump is all over American Psycho. Patrick Bateman loves Trump and namechecks him numerous times.
  8. D

Swedish Academy: The Peter Englund era

Yes, realistically, the only name I mentioned I can see appearing even on a long list is Kushner.
  9. D

Recently finished books?

Well I guess he was influential then lol
  10. D

Swedish Academy: The Peter Englund era

Looking at those characteristics (literature of witness, concerns of modernization, formal experimentalism, the role of the outsider) and then this final remark, I'm a bit surprised a queer American writer never took the prize in the late 90s, early 2000s. I feel a few check off those boxes...
  11. D

Ten Memorable Beginnings of Novels at the Beginning of the Year (Google translation from Portuguese)

"The world is what it is; men who are nothing, who allow themselves to become nothing, have no place in it." V.S. Naipaul, A Bend in the River
  12. D

The Book Recommendations Thread

Based on what Liam has said, The Argonauts is probably a good bet. As a grad student, I sat in on an LGBT lit course for undergrads, and they all loved that book.
  13. D

Elfriede Jelinek

The two best Jelinek books I've read are The Piano Teacher and Wonderful Wonderful Times.
  14. D

Elfriede Jelinek

Another standout is when Jelinek makes a cutsie rhyme when describing Erikah's relationship with her mother. Something along the lines of "She doesn't need a Tom, she's got mom." In any other book, that line would be so corny but in Jelinek's hands, it's so unnerving it becomes funny.
  15. D

Elfriede Jelinek

Something I didn't appreciate about EJ when I first read her is she is very funny. Some people (like young me) fail to pick up on the humor because the subject matter is so serious and grim.
  16. D

Non-Writer Obituaries

I can't speak for all of North America but in the US the reality is... (drumroll) American Psycho is now being sold in Target, a retail/grocery store. I'm still a little surprised everytime I roll past the book section and see it. Also, sticking with the Ellis train his latest novel The Shards...
  17. D

Non-Writer Obituaries

I think it can be done the right way. Guess we just need to wait for the right writer!
  18. D

Non-Writer Obituaries

OJ Simpson, a man who has figured in the American cultural landscape in one way or another for the past 50 years, has died. I've always wondered why a great American novel about him has never been produced.
  19. D

Recent Purchases/Borrowings

I have the following coming in Wednesday: Miss MacIntosh, My Darling- Marguerite Young. After a year of delays, Dalkey is finally rolling out the reissue. Didn't think it would happen! The Radetzky March- Joseph Roth Library of America collection of Paul Bowles' novels.
  20. D

"I quit!" -- Books I just can't finish

I'm glad to see other people experience this... I didn't have it while reading Gaddis but I've had it while reading Pynchon. It's like if I went word by word I can "get" what's on the page but if I read at my normal pace, nothing sticks. I've had this experience with other authors too.