Recent Purchases/Borrowings

Ben Jackson

Books purchased in the last two weeks, I read Constantin by Iulian Bocai today, only 11 left to read. I bought Sir Gawain as a reaction to Heinrich Zimmer's book I read in December, The King and the Corpse.
?? The Passenger, Stella Maris- Cormac McCarthy
?? Death in Her Hands- Ottessa Moshfegh
?? Constantin- Iulian Bocai
?? Angle of Repose-Wallace Stegner
?? Linia Kármán- Andreea Răsuceanu
?? Zeppelin- Adrian G. Romila
?? Sir Gawain and the Green Knight with Pearl and Sir Orfeo- translated by J.R.R. Tolkien
?? Demon Copperhead- Barbara Kingsolver
?? Rănile bătrânului continent-Péter Nádas (The Wounds of the Old Continent)
?? Moștenirea familiei Kurt- Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson (The Heritage of the Kurts)
?? Lessons- Ian McEwan

Lessons wasn't a bad book when I read it few years ago.

The book of Nadas, what's it about? It seems there are many books of Nadas that hasn't been translated yet to English, though his recent well-received memoirs Shimmering Details has been translated.

Also surprised about Bjornson's work been purchased. I will wait for your reviews about it.

Rodica

This one is on my list too, waiting for the paperback, :)
Glad to see the Tolkien on your list; if you are at all interested in other translations, Casey Finch did a superb job with Pearl and the Green Knight more recently (Middle English text also included in his edition).
Thank you, I saved Casey Finch's The Complete Works of Pearl Poet, never heard of it until now. In about a week I will start reading Demon Copperhead, it was recently translated here, we only have the hardcover version, I will only be able to read it at home. It's been a while since I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, I enjoyed reading them. My mother has The Silmarillion which I have not yet read.

Attachments

• IMG_9325.jpeg
    IMG_9325.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1

Rodica

If I'm not wrong, Stegner is a representant of USA Southern/Regional Literature and was praised by @Stevie B and @tiganeasca as a great author.
I think his name was put here as a perennial candidate for Nobel Prize.

Fortunately, he had 2 books translated into Portuguese (Brazil) and Angle of Repose was
Likewise, only two books were translated here: Angle of Repose and Crossing to Safety. In the short preface of the book I read that he died on April 13, 1993 in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Given that the translations are recent, I hope they won't stop at these two.

Rodica

Lessons wasn't a bad book when I read it few years ago.

The book of Nadas, what's it about? It seems there are many books of Nadas that hasn't been translated yet to English, though his recent well-received memoirs Shimmering Details has been translated.

Also surprised about Bjornson's work been purchased. I will wait for your reviews about it.
From what I read in the essays in this book, Nádas investigates the moral nature of the world we live in and asks himself questions, refusing to be guided by certainties. Constantly staying on the border between experience and imagination, between reality and fiction.

I haven't read any book written by Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson, we have 5 books translated, I couldn't leave it there, it was under 50 cents. For now I refrain from commenting on the few pages I read after taking the book out of the wrapper.?

Benny Profane

About Southern/Regional Literature from USA:

As Delphi Classics will publish the entire works by Geoge Washinton Cable on April and our dear @Rodica bought Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner and instilled his name here, I decided to share more information about unknown authors for those interested in knowing important names of Regional/Southern Literature from USA (because few people around the world already heard about them).

So, here are those two links with rich information about them:

1) https://www.worldliteratureforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/southern-literature.25423/
2) https://www.worldliteratureforum.co...eads/regional-united-states-literature.66738/

I confess that I'm very curious about Cable's works.

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
If I'm not wrong, Stegner is a representant of USA Southern/Regional Literature and was praised by @Stevie B and @tiganeasca as a great author.
I think his name was put here as a perennial candidate for Nobel Prize.

Fortunately, he had 2 books translated into Portuguese (Brazil) and Angle of Repose was translated here. :)
Actually, Stegner is known as a Western writer, having spent most of his life in Montana, Utah, and Saskatchewan. The Big Rock Candy Mountain is one of my favorite books of recent years. I have a copy of Crossing to Safety that I'm hoping to get to soon.

Benny Profane

Actually, Stegner is known as a Western writer, having spent most of his life in Montana, Utah, and Saskatchewan. The Big Rock Candy Mountain is one of my favorite books of recent years. I have a copy of Crossing to Safety that I'm hoping to get to soon.
Thank you for the correction, Steve.