Search results

1. tiganeasca

Recently Begun Books

🇮🇹 Marcello Fois, The Time In Between 🇸🇮 Goran Vojnovic, The Fig Tree
  2. tiganeasca

WLF Prize 2024 - Lyudmila Ulitskaya

Seeking a little guidance or advice for my next book by her. I recently finished a couple more of her stories and, just now, The Big Green Tent. After a less-than-happy experience with Sonechka, things have turned around quite significantly. So I need to find something else of hers to read...
  3. tiganeasca

Recently finished books?

🇷🇺 Ludmila Ulitskaya, "Bronka" and "The Daughter of Bokhara" ⭐⭐⭐+ After being less impressed than I expected by Sonechka, I decided to read these stories in the same volume. I am pleased to say that I enjoyed them much more…enough so that I intend to go back and re-read Sonechka. I suspect I...
  4. tiganeasca

Pulitzer Prizes

From their website. Please note the answer to question 9. ENTRIES FOR THE AWARD The basics 1) What books are eligible for consideration? Books first published in the United States during 2023. All entries must be made available for purchase by the general public in either hardcover or bound...
  5. tiganeasca

Recently finished books?

This entry offers a small number of Mistral's works, some of which are in both French and English translations. You can also find some other scattered bits here and here.
  6. tiganeasca

Recently Begun Books

🇮🇳 Sarat Chandra Chatterji, Stories From Saratchandra 🇲🇾 Tan Twan Eng, The House of Doors 🇺🇸 Kai Bird and Martin Sherwin, American Prometheus [biography of J. Robert Oppenheimer]
  7. tiganeasca

Non-Writer Obituaries

Haven't read much Bret Easton Ellis, but in my world, the Republican Party is about to nominate an American Pyscho for President.
  8. tiganeasca

New & Notable

:rolleyes:
  9. tiganeasca

New & Notable

Oh. :oops: (Who knew?) Well. All I have to say in that case is: thank goodness!
  10. tiganeasca

New & Notable

That's easy. He ain't Austen (or Woolf either).
  11. tiganeasca

New & Notable

As long as it was Jane Austen and not Michael Cunningham, I'd read it! Imagine all those cute, well-behaved little Darcy children and the trouble they could get into. Although if it were 20 years later, I guess they'd likely been teenagers. Hmmm. Maybe even better!
  12. tiganeasca

Russian Literature

[continued from previous post] Prices of books published during the lifetimes of the holy trinity of Russian Romantic writers — Pushkin, Gogol and Mikhail Lermontov — have risen dramatically in the past 20 years, in line with the rise in wealth of Russian collectors. It’s a small market with...
  13. tiganeasca

Russian Literature

No good place for this depressing article from today's New York Times Rare Editions of Pushkin Are Vanishing From Libraries Around Europe By Rachel Donadio May 1, 2024 In April 2022, soon after Russia invaded Ukraine, two men arrived at the library of the University of Tartu, Estonia’s...
  14. tiganeasca

Your favourite painting

Wow!! The Tolkien-edited version of Sir Gawain on your shelf. Very impressive.
  15. tiganeasca

Recently Begun Books

🇮🇷 Simin Daneshvar, Sutra & Other Stories 🇷🇺 Ludmila Ulitskaya, The Big Green Tent
  16. tiganeasca

Recently finished books?

She didn't have a long career, but it was a pretty good one. Ah, they don't make movie stars like they used to.... 😢
  17. tiganeasca

Recently finished books?

I assume that this is the story on which the movie is based. I'll admit to never having heard of the author. But the movie is pretty damn good! Ouch!
  18. tiganeasca

Jenny Erpenbeck

from today's New York Times, a profile of Jenny Erpenbeck A Novelist Who Finds Inspiration in Germany’s Tortured History By Steven Erlanger April 26, 2024 She became a writer because her country vanished overnight. Jenny Erpenbeck, now 57, was 22 in 1989, when the Berlin Wall cracked by...
  19. tiganeasca

Ack! What happened to all the flags?

Yeah, my thoughts as well. It's unfortunate that it does that; it's at least the second (possibly the third) time that it's done that.
  20. tiganeasca

Ack! What happened to all the flags?

I can insert flags for new posts and they show up. But it seems like the flag icons for every other post have turned into question marks!