Afrikaans Literature

Eric

Former Member
Afrikaans Literature, anno 2008

At first glance, there is every reason for Brits to ignore Afrikaans literature: first of all the Boers fought us in two wars around 1900 (remember Churchill's early years?); then the Afrikaners have been blamed for the apartheid r?gime (although the system was in fact devised by a Dutch immigrant!).

Anyway, until recently, only politicised anti-apartheid authors writing in Afrikaans were read in English, and maybe not so much in Britain. These included the then exiled poet Breyten Breytenbach and the novelist Andr? Brink. But things have changed. Apartheid has gone and the Afrikaners and their white-skinned English-speaking colleagues no longer rule the roost since Mandela, and latterly Mbeki, hold the whip handle, instead of Verwoerd, Vorster and De Klerk. And everyday life is permissible again as the topic of prose.

Obviously, Afrikaners have enjoyed a degree of privilege over past decades. So that quietly, and unobserved, owing to the international boycott of South African culture for a couple of decades, there is now a new generation of authors, not all continually writing about the traumas of apartheid.

In the same way that German or Israeli writers will occasionally stray into Holocaust territory, so present-day Afrikaans authors do not obsessively shun the unpalatable past. But nowadays, apartheid and the war in Angola are not the central focus of Afrikaans writing. So now that an Afrikaans woman author, Marlene van Niekerk, has been shortlisted for the 2008 Independent Foreign Fiction Prize, this would seem to indicate that Afrikaans writing is kosher once again in polite circles, so to speak.

As there's plenty on the internet about Marlene van Niekerk (and will be more, should she win the Independent prize), I would like initially to concentrate on three other contemporary Afrikaans woman authors: Petra M?ller, Ingrid Winterbach and Rachelle Greeff.

Petra M?ller (born 1935)

M?ller's stories have been recently collected in a volume entitled Desembers (Decembers). She tend to deal with misfits and outsiders in her stories. While South African readers will soon identify which ethnic group any given character belongs to via their name or other description, ethnic background is not M?ller's focus. Landscape is important. They shape the characters more than race or language. M?ller keeps up a tension between autobiography and pure fiction. There are quite a few children as protagonists. The title story is about a child that goes down to the beach during the December summer holidays (Southern Hemisphere, remember!) and adds to her sandcastle near the water's edge. But when she realises that other children are adding bits, i.e., know of its existence, she goes out one morning and destroys it. M?ller has written poetry in both Afrikaans and English.

Ingrid Winterbach (born 1948) [also as pseudonym: Lettie Viljoen]

This novelist and painter revels in subtlety. English readers could first access a novel of hers in autumn 2005 when "The Elusive Moth" appeared. Critic Terry Ellen writes:

The hot dry summer wraps a small Free State town in political, spiritual and sexual tension as the multi-cultural mix of residents and visitors wait for the storm to break. Award winning South African author, Ingrid Winterbach, stretches the intrigue, building the tension to its violent, eruptive end. Racial conflict and friendships burn, and lovers meet in the cemetery. Natural healer Basil collects native remedies from the veld and foresees death. Researcher Karolina follows the elusive, velvet moth in search of her father’s approval. She is tormented by memories of her family and plagued by erotic, fanciful dreams. She dances herself into states of euphoria with the Kolyn fellow and plays snooker and drinks whisky with the ‘manne’ in the local hotel. She’s witness to murder and torment. And she falls in love with a gentle man in a town on the fringe of a changing South Africa. The Elusive Moth is a compelling and seductive read.

But this is not her only novel. Two of her novels reach back to the Boer War (called the Anglo-Boer War in South Africa): Buller se plan (Buller's Plan) and Niggie (idem). But this is not Boer propaganda. The former interweaves the story of a woman in the 1990s going to her brother's funeral by car and the story of the Battle of Colenso, where the British Army was led by Sir Redvers Buller, and the various obsessions of the fighters are examined. Niggie is the story of some men taking a traumatised Boer back to base who meet up with Niggie, an attractive redhead. We Brits may be the enemy, but Winterbach is not so black-and-white in her descriptions. This latter novel has recently appeared in Dutch translation.

See:

http://www.ukzn.ac.za/cca/images/tow/TOW2006/bios/Winterbach.htm

Rachelle Greeff (born 1957)

This Cape Town author and journalist has written mainly short-stories, including the recent collection Palazzo van die laaste dans (Palazzo of the Last Dance; 2006). Here, the leitmotif of the ten stories is dance. While some of her journalistic works appears in English-language newspapers, she sticks to Afrikaans for her stories and novels. Her second and longest novel to date is Hanna (idem; 2002) which tells the story of how her life is shattered when, after preparing a welcome feast, Hanna hears what her son Wim has to say on his return from abroad.

See: http://www.stellenboschwriters.com/greef.html

All three of these writers deserve to be paid much more attention in the English-speaking world, and, of course, to have more of their stories and novels translated.

Last edited:

Eric

Former Member
That was a good idea, Stewart. As Ingrid Winterbach is on some longlist which I have, for the moment, forgotten, she's probably more in the limelight than the other two.

I've got most of her books; must read them sometime. I've simply not had enough time to read a lot of Winterbach, but I swear by (rather than at) her, on account of her subtlety. One novel exists in English: "The Elusive Moth"; but it's virtually unobtainable outside South Africa.

Maybe tricking people into thinking that someone called Winterbach is Austrian or German, might get past the still prevalent stigma of Afrikaans = nasty privileged White author revelling in apartheid... I exaggerate for effect, but the Afrikaans literature thread has not exactly been overwhelmed with comment, since Marlene van Niekerk didn't win the Independent Prize, but a Belgian author instead. But in my opinion, Winterbach is far more sophisticated - and succinct - than van Niekerk.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
In a way I didn't want van Niekerk to win the Independent Foreign Fiction as much as I didn't want Verhaeghen to win. Not through any prejudice against the books's content or the author, but because of their size. They are both huge books: both over 600 pages and larger than your average paperback. And I sort of feel obligated to read the winner since it's deemed the best translation of the year.

As Ingrid Winterbach is on some longlist which I have, for the moment, forgotten,
South African Sunday Times Literary Awards, as part of the rather huge 32 strong longlist.

Eric

Former Member
Stewart, I know what you mean about fat novels. I think that some recent Afrikaans novelists have thought, na?vely, that by writing a fat novel of between 500 and 1,000 pages they will become unputdownably noticeable and conquer the world.

But Afrikaans literature is still far more than apartheid, the Boer War, and the disdain of the English-speaking world for literature written in that language.

When I've read more Winterbach, I'll report back.

Eric

Former Member
I've said all I have to say about Afrikaans literature for the time being, but there's a great potrayal of an Afrikaner on Harry and Paul. Check it out.

Jayaprakash

Reader
Etienne Leroux (1922-1989) was greatly admired by Graham Greene, who even contributed a quote to the cover of my edition of To A Dubious Salvation, a 'trilogy of fantastical novels'. The first one, all I've read so far, is very odd. A rich young man is taken by his uncle to a wealthy wine-maker's family manor and plantation, where a match is to be made between him and the daughter of the family. A series of bizarre social gatherings are held over the coming week, in which the young man gains an underserved reputation as a bit of a maverick philsopher and in a sort of running gag fails to figure out who among the many girls he meets is his intended until the wedding day. Along the way, there are masked balls, black masses and various disasters and uprisings. It made very little sense to me although I caught smatterings of political commentary and some sort of paean to the concept of marriage as a grand social duty.

Eric

Former Member
I must check out Leroux. I've read about him, but none of the key novels. The Wiki entry:

Etienne Leroux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I see that his key trilogy appeared in Penguin, but whether it's still in print I don't know.

By English-language standards, quite a lot by him has appeared in English translation, but in the USA, rather than in the ex-colonial metropolis Britain...

John Kannemeyer has just this year published a biography of Leroux, but as far as I can see, it's only available in Afrikaans. And, as always in literary circles, the biography, which appeared in July 2008, is already causing controversy. As I can read Afrikaans, I'll try to see what all the fuss is about.

While searching for Leroux on the Afrikaans website LitNet, I also found an article about the canon in Western literature, and canonisation, quoting Harold Bloom and similar people. Looks interesting.

Eric

Former Member
Just over a year after my previous posting on this matter, I just bought yesterday Etienne Leroux' 1976 novel "Magersfontein, O, Magersfontein!" in Dutch translation. It is described in the blurb as follows:

A film- and TV crew arrive at Magersfontein to make a film about the Battle of Magersfontein which took place on 11th December 1899, during the Boer War. This marks the start of a hilariously ironic novel, in which Leroux not only brings to life this modern film crew, but also the historical figures from the original battle. This was a conflict at the edge of medern times. Andr? Brink says in the foreword to the Dutch translation that this was even "the mother of all contemporary wars". This is a sombre piece of history, but is handled almost as slapstick in this 1976 novel.
Notice that while Leroux reduces the Boer War to slapstick, Ingrid Winterbach approaches the war with much more thought and subtlety. But this war, almost forgotten in Britain today with regard to detail, forms the basis of both their novels.

Liam

Administrator
Perhaps you will have time to check out Mark Behr, who's only written two novels, so far???

White, gay, South African.

I only read parts of Die Reuk van Appels (1993); can't really recommend it, one way or the other, since I didn't finish the book.

I picked up Embrace at the library a few months ago and flipped through it; pretty graphic sex-scenes. This behemoth was praised, nonetheless, for its epic scope as well as something else (or other).

Not sure what his thing is with kiddies and sex, but he seems to be the Southern Hemisphere's [queer] embodiment of the Russian/American/Swiss butterfly-chaser whose person you enjoy poking fun at.

Omo

Reader
I think the only afrikaanse novel (or was it a novella, since it was fairly short?) I ever read was Die Spoorsnyer by Piet von Rooyen. It doesn't seem to have made an impression on me, for I hardly remember the storyline even though more than two years cannot have passed. The writing seemed somehow flat and without any intensity, similar to the works of Giselher Hoffmann (who is German, not an Afrikaner). Maybe that's something inherent to Namibian literature?

Eric

Former Member
Here's van Rooyen's biog:

Petrus Hendrik van Rooyen is op die 17de Julie 1953 op Vryheid in die Kwazulu/Natal-provinsie gebore. Hy gaan skool in Senekal in die Vrystaat, maar matrikuleer in 1971 in Windhoek, Namibi?. Sy diensplig doen hy as ?n infanterie-offisier in Caprivi. Vanaf 1973 studeer hy Antropologie, Afrika-Studie en Ontwikkelingsbestuur aan die Universiteit van Stellenbosch en voltooi ?n meestersgraad in die Inheemse Reg na afloop van veldwerk in die Okavango, Namibi?. Hierna is hy werksaam as arbeidsverhoudingsbeamte by ?n titaanmyn naby Richardsbaai, maar keer weer na drie jaar terug as dosent aan die Universiteit van Stellenbosch vanaf 1982-1989 (hy ontvang sy Ph.D. in 1983 met ?n studie oor transformasie in die Suid-Afrikaanse arbeidsverhoudinge). Kort voor die onafhanklikheidswording keer hy in 1989 terug na Namibi? waar hy op huurgrond in die Gobabisdistrik begin boer. Hy aanvaar later ?n pos by die Boesmanstigting naby Tsumkwe, waar hy saam met die Boesmans leef en sy kennis oor boerdery oordra.. Sy ontmoeting hier met Paul Chapman lei tot die skryf van sy eerste roman, Die spoorsnyer (1994). Agter ?n eland aan volg in 1995 en Die olifantjagters in 1997. Tans is hy dosent in Politieke Studies aan die Universiteit van Namibi?.
Born in Natal, South Africa, he seems to have lived in Namibia since his early twenties and to be a trained lawyer (industrial relations) who decided to become a farmer in that country. He seems interested in the "Boesmans" - "Bushmen" in an anthropological sense. Now teaches Political Stiudies at the University of Namibia (presumably in Windhoek).

I started reading another book mentioned there, called Agter 'n eland aan (Following an Eland) which was pleasant enough - but I never finished it. Otherwise, I have never really focussed on him. He didn't strike me as an exceptionally "literary" author.

It is a good question as to whether Namibia has much of a literature of its own. I would imagine that those writing in either English, Afrikaans or German there would ultimately gravitate towards South Africa. I once met a young (Coloured, if I may use this apartheid term) Namibian chap on a Finnish course in Helsinki who explained to me the status of the German language in places such as Swakopmund and L?deritz. He himself could speak German. There was once a documentary on the BBC about these places, but the German language was not a priority.

Eric

Former Member
Has anyone on these threads read anything by Ingrid Winterbach? I'm especially thinking of To Hell With Cronj?. I'm hoping to review that book, which appeared with Open Letter Books recently in the USA, when the English translation comes through the post.

The book is called To Hell With Cronj? in English and Niggie in the Afrikaans original. Here is the Open Letter Books website blurb:

Two scientists, Reitz Steyn and Ben Maritz, find themselves in a ?transit camp for those temporarily and permanently unfit for battle? during the Boer War. Captured on suspicion of desertion and treason?during a trek across an unchanging desert of bushes, rocks, and ant hills to help transport a fellow-soldier, who has suffered debilitating shell-shock, to his mother?they are forced to await the judgment of a General Bergh, unsure whether they are to be conscripted into Bergh?s commando, allowed to continue their mission, or executed for treason. As the weeks pass, and the men?s despair at ever returning to their families reaches its peak, they are sent on a bizarre mission...

A South African Heart of Darkness, Ingrid Winterbach?s To Hell with Cronj? is a poetic exploration of friendship and camaraderie, an eerie reflection of the futility of war, and a thought-provoking re-examination of the founding moments of the South African nation.
Source: Open Letter Books

I've still not yet read the book myself, but have it in Afrikaans and the Dutch translation. And I thought that those of you interested in African literature might have come across the American-published translation.

Eric

Former Member
Mary LA: I'm still waiting for my review copy of "To Hell With Cronj?". But I can always read it in Afrikaans or Dutch before I receive it.

As for Black Afrikaans authors, I don't think that the average European literary scholar even has an idea that there is a group of literary Afrikaans authors at all, let alone Black ones, such as the ones you list. So unless someone is doing an MA or PhD at the University of Amsterdam or Leiden in the Netherlands, or at the Centre for African Studies in Bayreuth, Germany, I doubt if the works of those authors you list have received serious academic and critical attention in Europe as a whole.

Apartheid did, of course, distort the whole European approach to anything to do with Afrikaans literature and Afrikaners. I think that if you were to ask people in Europe about Afrikaans literature, you would only get names such as Brink and Breytenbach, people who were directly and actively involved with the struggle against apartheid. The majority of (White) Afrikaans authors who did not always write about political and racial questions, e.g. Eybers, Greeff, Strachan, M?ller, and so on, people who would even explore the private sphere, and stylistic things divorced from any struggle, were not interesting to those who wanted to harnass literature in the struggle against apartheid. So they got ignored.

A lot of work will have to be done before Afrikaans literature, including Scholtz and the other authors you mention, is brought to the attention of the European reading public. I cannot remember whether "Vatmaar" was ever translated into English in a version that was printed and distributed beyond South Africa. Because, for instance, Winterbach's novel "Karolina Ferreira" appeared with Human & Rouusseau as "The Elusive Moth" (under the pseudonym Lettie Viljoen), but that translation probably never reached Europe and the USA. So now that "To Hell With Cronj?" has appeared in America, and Marlene van Niekerk has also appeared in English with a couple of novels, maybe Afrikaans literature will gradually become salonf?hig in Europe as well.

Eric

Former Member
P.S. Looking at my small collection of Afrikaans literature, I could only find two books that could be classified as Black Afrikaans literature and that is the novel Vatmaar by Scholtze that you already mentioned, plus a slim volume of poems and autobiography Deur die oog van 'n naald by a man who probably has little time nowadays for poetry as he is the Treasurer-General of the ANC - Mathews Phosa.

In that book Phosa says (my translation):

[The fact that Afrikaans was considered the language of the oppressor] remains ironic for me - and it sometimes made me feel painfully uncomfortable - that in the most difficult times I wrote poetry in Afrikaans, and expressed my deepest pain in that language. Today, I can almost laugh at the fact that I, as a leader of the Struggle, had to teach Afrikaans to Portuguese-speakers in Mozambique. Life has its strange twists!
This chapter of Phosa's little book is entitled "Taal as versoeningsinstrument" - Language as an Instrument of Reconciliation.

Liam

Administrator
New translation of Breyten Breytenbach is coming out in October: "this searing collection of lyrical and often nightmarish prose pieces is inventive in both language and vision. At once vulnerable, playful, heart-wrenching, and melancholy, these dreamscapes shed light on the human condition, exile, and death. A feast for the senses and the mind."

9781935744177.jpg

Eric

Former Member
Maybe Breytenbach is one of those Afrikaans writers who has been anti-apartheid for decades and therefore will be considered for the Nobel. But I still swear by a number of less forefront-political Afrikaans authors who have sought to write about something else than apartheid. Imagine if every German writer published kept on writing about the Holocaust.

I'm a little alarmed when the blurb goes over the top, with such phrases as "searing", "nightmarish", and "heart-wrenching", etc. Aren't the publishers over-egging it a bit?

Eric

Former Member
As Liam likes gay authors, what about Hennie Aucamp (born 1934)? He's been a big name in Afrikaans literature. The Wikipedia in English gives a rather bare rendering of his life and works, but those of us that admit to being able to read Afrikaans can read a better biography at:

http://www.litnet.co.za/cgi-bin/gig...s_item&cause_id=1270&news_id=51652&cat_id=667

Aucamp (who put the "camp" in Aucamp?) was rapped over the knuckles in the mid-1980s for accentuating homosexuality too much in his cabaret texts. South Africa wasn't ready for gay humour then. He's knocking eighty now, but he's been a big name for years in Afrikaans short-story circles.