Alexander Kluge

Morbid Swither

German author Alexander Kluge, born in 1932, thus 89 at the time of this post, is an author that I'm increasingly interested in. I have had a painful time coming by his work, fiction or nonfiction, as he produces both, and apparently melds the genres beautifully. Additionally, he is an accomplished film maker. Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Kluge

His bibliography (not to mention his filmography) is intimidatingly extensive, however, only a fraction appear to be translated. Nonetheless, his work, which includes philosophy and social criticism, has certainly got my attention. I have requested some of his work in English through inter-library loan, and intend to update this thread once I've had a chance to form a substantive impression on it.

kpjayan

Reader
German author Alexander Kluge, born in 1932, thus 89 at the time of this post, is an author that I'm increasingly interested in. I have had a painful time coming by his work, fiction or nonfiction, as he produces both, and apparently melds the genres beautifully. Additionally, he is an accomplished film maker. Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Kluge

His bibliography (not to mention his filmography) is intimidatingly extensive, however, only a fraction appear to be translated. Nonetheless, his work, which includes philosophy and social criticism, has certainly got my attention. I have requested some of his work in English through inter-library loan, and intend to update this thread once I've had a chance to form a substantive impression on it.
Any recommendations ? Seagull Books have published nearly 10 titles in English, both fictional and non-fictional works..

Benny Profane

Well, after some quests, I saw that his works are majorly Philosophy and Essays about art and cinema in general.

He has an extensive filmography too.
His 2 most known films are Yesterday Girl (avant-garde movie about immigration of a woman from East-Germany to West-Germany) and Artists Under the Big Top: Perplexed (collage arthouse film).

Last edited:

Benny Profane

Has someone watched his films?
Answering to myself, yes, I have.
I've watched Anita G based on his homologous short story.
It's a fragmentary film akin to Living the Life (1962) by Godard.

The plot is: a woman from East German was accused to do be a thief.
After, she tries to live her own live based on her principles about the life.
The dialogues are rigid and have no improvisation by the actors.
The atmosphere is equal to bureaucracy's.