Asterix adventures to continue

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Good news everyone, having survived the death of Goscinny, our Gaul hero's adventures will survive the retirement of Uderzo: new writers will write the new books:
http://www.lemonde.fr/culture/artic...voir-merite-un-peu-de-repos_1826282_3246.html

You just gave away the Asterix characters to the writer Jean-Yves Ferri and the designer Didier Conrad , who will publish later this year a new Asterix completely independent of its original creators, the first of its kind. Will you supervise their work?

I did not "give it away" to others, I trusted it to them. At almost 86 years, I'm a little tired and I think I deserve a little rest. I'll overlook what is being done, of course. Ferri is an extraordinary writer: he wrote a script that would not have embarrassed Goscinny. .

Aren't you opening yourself to the risk of having people say "it was better before", then?

This is exactly what they said when I continued the series alone after the death of Goscinny. Nobody gave me a free pass. The critics crushed me. I still keep reviews from that time: they said that Asterix died with Goscinny. My pride took a hit. Nevertheless, I commited myself to writing the stories and I decided to edit myself. Despite the fact that the criticisms have not stopped, the readers have continued to trust me. It's been a sweet revenge.

As Hergé did with Tintin, have you thought about ending the adventures of Asterix after your death?

That was my first idea. I even consulted with a lawyer in this regard. I forgot to ask Anne Goscinny (daughter of René) what she thought. It was wrong of me, it was a decision that did not belong to me alone. As Anne has no reservations, it will continue.

Daydreamer

I never really liked Asterix after Goscinny. Goscinny was such a giant in that little world. Petit Nicolas, Lucky Luke...

Still, I'm curious to see the new Asterix. What do they do about the old racist characters, like the pirate's lookout man, in the modern depictions?

nagisa

Spiky member
I never really liked Asterix after Goscinny. Goscinny was such a giant in that little world. Petit Nicolas, Lucky Luke...

Still, I'm curious to see the new Asterix. What do they do about the old racist characters, like the pirate's lookout man, in the modern depictions?
They're unchanged visually, but they've written out the offensive "accent" at least

Uemarasan

Reader
apropos comic books, manga since there are evidently a few biographies of french comic authors why not also of manga authors manga is famous enough by now perhaps not as much as french comic books but getting there
As a reader of both manga and bandes desinees, I’ve always been interested in how well the latter is doing in the Francophone part of the world, whether or not the industry remains robust. Because I’ve been seeing what’s happening to superhero comics in America and the dire straits they’re in.