Boubacar Boris Diop: Murambi, Book of Bones

A great review of Boubacar Boris Diop's Murambi, Book of Bones

A novel written in four parts, Murambi, The Book of Bones traces the return of a Rwandan history teacher, Cornelius Uvimana, to his motherland sometime after the 1994 genocide. At the time of the genocide, Cornelius had been living and working in Djibouti. Thus, except for one uncle, he is the only one of his close family to have survived. Yet the very distance that saves him is what stops him from knowing more than a few murky details of what happened to his family, his land and its people in those terrible days. His knowledge of those events is characterized by uncertainty and fragmentation. Parts one and three are collections of bits and pieces of stories portraying this: each part contains narratives of a multitude of voices who are involved in the genocide in one way or another. As a framing device, parts two and four trace Cornelius? own narrative of return and discovery. During his travels around the scarred landscape of Rwanda, visiting old friends and seeing genocide memorials, it is his trip to Murambi, his hometown, that proves to be the most painful and most revealing experience. Murambi is not only the village where he grew up?the place where he left his family?but it is also the site of one of the most gruesome mass murders of the genocide. As Jessica, his old childhood friend explains to him, between fifty and sixty thousand people were slaughtered over the course of a few days while sheltering in the Murambi Polytechnic School.

The facts are staggering: ?Between April and June 1994, an estimated 800,000 Rwandans were killed in the space of 100 days.? But even this fact is uncertain?some statistics say 800,000, others say one million. Some say 90 days, others say one hundred. Nevertheless, the numbers are so horrific they seem unreal. Another fact: ?Most of the dead were Tutsis?and most of those who perpetrated the violence were Hutus.? And another one: ?The genocide was sparked by the death of the Rwandan President Juvenal Habyarimana, a Hutu, when his plane was shot down above Kigali airport on 6 April 1994.?1 The story is remarkably simple, and yet simultaneously nebulous. What story is more common than death? But at the same time, what could be more complicated to explain than the details, the justification, the causes? And, what is more complex than the aftermath, the brokenness that is left behind? How do we explain this? How are we to understand it all?

Continuing reading here: Making Dead Bones Dance | The Mantle

Daniel del Real

I had the opportunity to see Boubacar Borios Diop in a conference back in 2007 here in Guadalajara. Unfortunately he didn't talk so much about his works since he came to present another African writer, Chenjerai Hove from Zimbabwe.
The genocide in Rwanda topic, it's terrifying and fascinating at the same time. It is the brutality of human being at his bleakest peak. I haven't read any book, fiction or non fiction about this theme, but the movie Hotel Rwanda and a few articles from encyclopedia I've read are breath taking.
I really want to check this book.

hoodoo

Reader
I just read about this author last night after reading an article on LitHub about 25 African Writers You Should Read. Even the original french versions of his novels are a bit hard to find and probably no longer in circulation, however the french publisher les Éditions Zulma re-released this one back in 2011 and is pretty easy to find. Obviously I ordered it and I am eager to dive in.

By the way, here is the article that I was refering to

http://lithub.com/25-new-books-by-african-writers-you-should-read/

Daniel del Real

Interesting like hoodoo, most of them unknown writers to me. That just shows how poor is my knowledge of African literature. Of the 25 writers listed I've only read 3: Ben Jelloun, Boris Diop and N'diaye.
It is interesting that authors like Helen Oyeyemi and N'diaye herself are considered African authors.

Same article quotes about her origins: "Marie NDiaye once told an interviewer that while she would have been glad to claim a dual heritage if she had one—if her Senegalese father hadn’t left her native France when she was very young—Africa was essentially a mystery to her. “African origins don’t mean very much,” she said, “except for the fact that I can’t hide it because of my surname and the color of my skin.”
It is a similar case to Ishiguro's about his Japanese origin. Personally I wouldn't consider N'Diaye as an African writer. With Oyeyemi it's a bit different as she uses African folk tales tradition in some of her novels.

hoodoo

Reader
I began reading this book last night. So far, it is an astonishing work of literature. I hope to be able to read more of his work.

Stevie B

Current Member
I'm trying to make sense of this line of thinking. My wife and I are both American and we moved to Japan after grad school to teach EFL. Our son was born and raised there. Have we been remiss in not telling him he's really Japanese???

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
Oyeyemi was born in Nigeria and has Nigerian parents. She is clearly Nigerian by blood so why would you suggest she's not African? I'm reading between the lines here, but given the tenor of some of your previous posts, it seems that you're intimating these writers are unfairly playing up their African roots and ethnic-sounding names - perhaps as part of a subversive plot to sell more books? I wonder if your bitterness about Colson Whitehead winning a Pulitzer Prize and a National Book Award for The Underground Railroad has spilled over to another continent.:confused: