Brazilian Literature

Stevie B

Current Member
Thanks for the feedback on Dourado, Daniel. By the way, I could see the similarity in looks between him and Sabato - they could have easily passed for brothers. One thing I didn't know about Sabato was that he was also a painter. I especially liked his oil painting entitled Dostoievksy which I've been unable to copy and paste. Here is the link if you want to check it out: literarystaches.tumblr.com/post/1120701976/dostoievsky-oil-painting-by-ernesto-sabato

accidie

Reader
Does anyone know what sort of reputation Bernardo Carvalho might have in Brazil? I know he's a journalist who's won some sort of award, but that's about all. Only two of his novels seem to be available in English; though neither is Deathless Great Writing, I enjoyed both and found Nine Nights to be downright haunting.

Eric

Former Member
Sevastefo mentioned Nélida Piñón on the Nobel Speculation thread. She looks genuinely interesting. I missed Liehtzu's thread on her back in 2009, since when the thread has not been accessed. Maybe Liehtzu can revive the thread and get rid of all those question marks that one of the technical changes has given rise to. It's rather sad that Liehtzu was ahead of us but no one, literally no one, replied to Liehtzu's description.

DouglasM

Reader
I wonder if anyone's into reading Brazilian literature lately. We've been experiencing a rush of talented writers rising to prominence in the last years. I'll name a few, so you can check their upcoming translations (if available): Michel Laub, Luiz Ruffato, Cristóvao Tezza, Bernardo Carvalho, Luiz Antônio de Assis Brasil, Adriana Lunardi, Mariana Ianelli, Carola Saavedra, Ana Maria Machado, Daniel Galera, Antônio Xerxenesky, Carol Bensimon, Lourenço Mutarelli, João Paulo Cuenca, Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza, Milton Hatoum, Andrea Del Fuego, Ricardo Lísias, Contardo Calligaris and Edney Silvestre. This is a specially good moment in our literature.

I apologize in advance for not bringing more information regarding each one of them. I'm afraid my knowledge of the English language only provides me the ability to construct basic sentences, not long explanations. But if any one of you fellows end up reading a book from one of these authors, there's a good chance you'll at least have a good time. I myself have not read all of them.

Does anyone know what sort of reputation Bernardo Carvalho might have in Brazil? I know he's a journalist who's won some sort of award, but that's about all. Only two of his novels seem to be available in English; though neither is Deathless Great Writing, I enjoyed both and found Nine Nights to be downright haunting.

He enjoys a pretty good reputation and is a very respected author, specially after Nine Nights. Not brilliant, but still talented. None of his novels failed to garner positive reviews from the critics since that one.

pesahson

Reader
So many new names you mentioned, DouglasM. I tried every one of them in the library catalogue, unfortunately, in vein. But having looked through the thread I found some names that have been translated into Polish, like Graciliano Ramos, Machado de Assis and J. G. Rosa. I'm going to try to get my hands on their books!

DouglasM

Reader
Graciliano Ramos is by far my favorite out of these. I recommend São Bernardo (not sure of its English title), Barren Lives or Anguish.

Daniel del Real

From all those names I only know two of them: Luiz Ruffato that was present in the Guadalajara Book Fair last November, and Andrea del Fuego who just won the José Saramago prize. Actually I opened a thread on Andrea del Fuego, basically trying to collect some information on her, if anyone have read her etc. As expected no one responded, so if you have any comments about her please let me know. Thanks for sharing all those names.

Eric

Former Member
DouglasM, I sympathise with your list of names in #27, but the sad thing is that readers in the USA and UK (plus other English-speaking countries) are in the Catch-22 situation where they neither read any foreign language, and that the translation culture in both countries is very undeveloped.

There are a handful of serious publishing houses in the USA and the UK that bother with translations, but unless there is a sea change in attitudes there, people can carry on talking till the cows come home about "wonderful" Brazilian (Argentinian, Mexican, etc.) writers, and it will all remain drawing-room chit-chat unless someone gets down to translating the works and convincing reputable publishers to take the books.

Brazil itself can do something. I understand it has already started a programme to subsidise translations from (Brazilian) Portuguese. But that's a fat lot of good if there is hardly anyone in the USA or UK who has the ability to translate literature at a high level of sophistication, as opposed to someone who is too young and inexperienced to really help get the books into the bookshops.

pesahson

Reader
Graciliano Ramos is by far my favorite out of these. I recommend São Bernardo (not sure of its English title), Barren Lives or Anguish.

I've just finished Sao Bernardo. I really liked the narrating style. Very matter-of-fact and straigtforward, even when dealing with the protagonist's descend into madness. That's what it seemed to me at least. It was a short book but it leaves you with something to think about. If any other books by Ramos were available in Polish I'd read them, but for now, it was the only one I found. Maybe instead I'll try to get me some titles by Machado de Assis.

Heteronym

Reader
Maybe instead I'll try to get me some titles by Machado de Assis.

Try Jorge Amado instead; or João Ubaldo Ribeiro. You won't regret it. They're excellent storytellers with an impeccable command of prose.

I found Machado rather disappointing, after all the hype.

Stevie B

Current Member
I agree with the Amado recommendation, though I haven't read him in years. My favorite novel of his is Tent of Miracles, followed by Gabriela, Clove, and Cinnamon.

He's an excellent author. I don't know if you can find it in English but it's wonderful, anyway.

Liam

Administrator
Coming up in June:

888.jpg

Liam

Administrator
New translations all of them, by Alison Entrekin, Idra Novey, Johnny Lorenz and Stefan Tobler; with prefaces/introductions by Benjamin Moser, whose biography of Lispector, Why This World, has just been released in paperback.

Eric

Former Member
Thanks for that, Liam. Another thing I'll look out for when I'm in the bookshop. Over here in Sweden, there are several translations of Lispector's work.