Christmas Traditions over the World

Leseratte

I just learned on another forum about the USA tradition of putting a lump of coal instead of a present in the Christmas stocking, when the child has been naughty during the year. We come of different countries, different religions including no religion at all .
and have of course very different feelings towards Christmas.

But this might be the moment and place of reviving these traditions and lores and maybe reflect about how they connect to our current idea(s) of Christmas.

The main Brazilian tradition I remember is the Midnight Mass. Differently as in some other countries, in Brazil the celebration of Christmas used to fall entirely on the 25. December. And it used to start on midnight of this day with the Midnight Mass, the "Missa do Galo"(Rooster´s Mass). People put on their best clothes and went to church in family groups. After church they ate the Christmas Supper and exchanged their presents. Sadly this habit has changed since the cities have become more dangerous and the media more global. Today many people prefer to watch the Midnight Mass by the Pope irradiated directly from Rome.

1702322841317.png
Christmas inspired famous short stories like Midnight Mass by Machado de Assis and The Christmas Turkey.
by Mário de Andrade.

And what about you? What are the Christmas traditions or folklore of your country?

Last edited:

Phil D

In Australia, there's midnight mass for Catholics (and other Christians too, I imagine?) but a lot of people with Christian family backgrounds don't practice any religion these days, so it's not a major part of most people's day. Those who do go to mass actually mostly go at some point during the day of the December 25, rather than midnight mass.

The main celebration is usually either lunch or dinner or both with family on the 25th. Christmas is in high summer here but there's also still a lot of European (especially British) influence in how it's celebrated, which leads to a kind of cultural schizophrenia in terms of the good food served -- roast turkey and such like alongside salads and barbecued meats; plum puddings and fruit salads.

(We also have he traditional Christmas lights on homes and around cities, which is pretty odd considering how late the sun goes down at this time of year. And there are lots of references to snow and cold, even though it's usually hot and we often celebrate in parks or on the beach.)

We don't have any major sporting events on Christmas Day, but the biggest game of test cricket for the year, the Boxing Day Test, starts in Melbourne on the 26th, between the Australian men's team and whichever country's team happens to be touring. This year it will be Pakistan.

Christmas takes place in the summer school holidays, so a lot of families also go on trips around this time -- camping holidays are very popular.

Here's an Australian version of Jingle Bells, if you can stand it

wordeater

In Belgium there was an Advent wreath in the weeks before Christmas, with one candle lit every Sunday. There was a Christmas tree, a stable and garlands with lights.

On Christmas Eve there was a big dinner with one branch of the family; on Christmas Day a smaller dinner with the other branch. Popular things to eat were stollen, marzipan and bûche de Noël. I've only been to the midnight mass once.

Santa Claus and presents weren't involved, because we already had Saint Nicholas for that on 6 December.

On two occasions between Christmas and New Year I participated in a Christmas concert in prison, for which the prisoners were very grateful.

On 6 January three children went singing from door to door, dressed up as the Three Magi, begging for candy. Melchior was in blackface, but that tradition is outdated. There was also a cake with one bean. The one who found it was king for the day.

Last edited:

Leseratte

In Australia, there's midnight mass for Catholics (and other Christians too, I imagine?) but a lot of people with Christian family backgrounds don't practice any religion these days, so it's not a major part of most people's day. Those who do go to mass actually mostly go at some point during the day of the December 25, rather than midnight mass.

The main celebration is usually either lunch or dinner or both with family on the 25th. Christmas is in high summer here but there's also still a lot of European (especially British) influence in how it's celebrated, which leads to a kind of cultural schizophrenia in terms of the good food served -- roast turkey and such like alongside salads and barbecued meats; plum puddings and fruit salads.

(We also have he traditional Christmas lights on homes and around cities, which is pretty odd considering how late the sun goes down at this time of year. And there are lots of references to snow and cold, even though it's usually hot and we often celebrate in parks or on the beach.)

We don't have any major sporting events on Christmas Day, but the biggest game of test cricket for the year, the Boxing Day Test, starts in Melbourne on the 26th, between the Australian men's team and whichever country's team happens to be touring. This year it will be Pakistan.

Christmas takes place in the summer school holidays, so a lot of families also go on trips around this time -- camping holidays are very popular.

Here's an Australian version of Jingle Bells, if you can stand it
Here in Brazil Christmas is in Summer too,the celebrations including the oddities are very similar to Australia. As you are learning Portuguese, here is the Brazilian version of the song:
PS_ Enjoyed the irreverent Australian version. But the Brazilian version is the classical one. I wouldn´t expose you to the irreverent one , because it is VERY irreverent!

Last edited:

Leseratte

In Belgium there was an Advent wreath in the weeks before Christmas, with one candle lit every Sunday. There was a Christmas tree, a stable and garlands with lights.

On Christmas Eve there was a big dinner with one branch of the family; on Christmas Day a smaller dinner with the other branch. Popular things to eat were stollen, marzipan and bûche de Noël. I've only been to the midnight mass once.

Santa Claus and presents weren't involved, because we already had Saint Nicholas for that on 6 December.

On two occasions between Christmas and New Year I participated in a Christmas concert in prison, for which the prisoners were very grateful.

On 6 January three children went singing from door to door, dressed up as the Three Magi, begging for candy. Melchior was in blackface, but that tradition is outdated. There was also a cake with one bean. The one who found it was king for the day.
The Belgian Christmas seems to be very similar to the German.Only the singing children remind me of another tradition, but I can't remember the country.

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
Since so far I have spent most of my adult life 'abroad', my own definition of 'tradition' has greatly change over the years, thus leaning toward 'adaptation' to whatever circumstances I am in. Nevertheless, there almost always been some sort of Christmas decoration in our house and even if most of times there's only the two of us, my partner and I usually plan some celebration which includes special meal, good wine and exchange of presents. More often then not, as we both like partying, we would end up putting some music on and dance a bit.

My fondest memories goes back to when I was a small kid when we spent Christmas Eve (as well as New Year's Eve) at my paternal grand parents place. We all gathered late in the evening of the 24 and went to midnight mass where one of my uncle who had a classical background would sing both with the church choir and as a soloist. It was the only time of year we could hear my uncle sing so it was a very moving moment for all of us. Back to the house, there was live music performed by my uncles, aunts, and friends and it was party and dance and enjoy lots of good food lovingly prepared by grandma (she was a fantastic cook). Usually the party would last until the small hours. We then got back home and slept a bit. On Christmas day, my brother and I would get our presents and in early afternoon, we always went around and visit some more distant family members on my father side (dad made a point to wish well to every single member of his family) before going to dine at mum's family.

Last edited:

Leseratte

Since so far I have spent most of my adult life 'abroad', my own definition of 'tradition' has greatly change over the years, thus leaning toward 'adaptation' to whatever circumstances I am in. Nevertheless, there almost always been some sort of Christmas decoration in our house and even if most of times there's only the two of us, my partner and I usually plan some celebration which includes special meal, good wine and exchange of presents. More often then not, as we both like partying, we would end up putting some music on and dance a bit.

My fondest memories goes back to when I was a small kid when we spent Christmas Eve (as well as New Year's Eve) at my paternal grand parents place. We all gathered late in the evening of the 24 and went to midnight mass where one of my uncle who had a classical background would sing both with the church choir and as a soloist. It was the only time of year we could hear my uncle sing so it was a very moving moment for all of us. Back to the house, there was live music performed by my uncles, aunts, and friends and it was party and dance and enjoy lots of good food lovingly prepared by grandma (she was a fantastic cook). Usually the party would last until the small hours. We then got back home and slept a bit. On Christmas day, my brother and I would get our presents and in early afternoon, we always went around and visit some more distant family members on my father side (dad made a point to wish well to every single member of his family) before going to dine at mum's family.
A warm Christmas recollection, Cadet. Here in Brazil, Christmas is also an opportunity for big family reunions and visiting. My family followed the German tradition though, were It is celebrated in the nuclear family and presents are exchanged on Christmas Eve.

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
I forgot to mention Epiphany (6 of january). I usually go the extra mile in order to get what is called a 'galette des rois' (king cake). One of my favorite pastry. Just like @wordeater mentionned, it is stuffed with a bean, usually sold together with a paper crown, to be shared with family or friends. Does anyone else have a similar tradition?

Leseratte

I forgot to mention Epiphany (6 of january). I usually go the extra mile in order to get what is called a 'galette des rois' (king cake). One of my favorite pastry. Just like @wordeater mentionned, it is stuffed with a bean, usually sold together with a paper crown, to be shared with family or friends. Does anyone else have a similar tradition?
We have here the "Bolo do Rei" inherited from Portugal I think, but currently it is only a sort of Panettone, with no particular rite attached to it. The sixth of January, the day that celebrates the visit to the Crib of the three foreign kings, is the day when Christmas ornaments are taken down and put away putting thus ending the season´s festivities.
Found though this article on the Kings" Cake ( in Portuguese).