Croatian Literature

sirena

Reader
Yes, please, Sirena: EXPLAIN....!

I read the most confusing explanation about the many variations of the Croat/Serb language and their different use in Croatia, Bosnia and the eastern regions of the former Yugolslavia and, on another level of differentiation, whether it is a standard, written language or the one used for speaking every day.

It's a very, very tedious story.

Eric

Former Member
I read recently somewhere that now that Yugoslavia has been split up into Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro, Slovenia, etc., various new countries are fighting over the heritage of Ivo Adnric, who was a Catholic writer with various connections with the various republics. Can't remember the details, but Croatia was one of the countries involved.

I believe that the language situation means that Serbian (written mainly in Cyrillic), Croatian (written mainly in the Roman alphabet) and Bosnian are intrinsically the same language with regional differences. But Slovenian is a completely separate language.

RamonaQ

Reader
.....By Ugresic I read Forsiranje romana-reke, however that is translated to English, which was not to my liking: smart observations, lots of humour, good insights into many cultures, countless allusions...it was very clever, but not beautiful in any way. I don't want to read anything else by her.

Actually, I'd highly recommend her book The Ministry of Pain for getting a feel of the post-war situation and identity of Croats, Serbs, and Bosnians.

Miro Gavran's novel "How we Broke our Legs" is translated to English, and describes life in a Slavonian village in the fifties, and life in Zagreb in the ninetees. But I think the translation is not available outside of Croatia.

Daniel del Real

Here are a few names of Croatian writers who will be participating in my city's Book Fair later this year: Kristian Novak, Olja Savičević Ivančević, Robert Perišić y Zoran Ferić.
I only found comments on Zoran Ferić from @Verkhovensky about two novels he read. If you could provide a little more insight about his works it would be great; sometimes a grade doesn't say that much.