Czech Literature

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Wikipedia said:
Czech literature is the literature of the historical regions of Bohemia, Moravia, and the Czech-speaking part of Silesia, (now part of the Czech Republic, formerly of Czechoslovakia). This most often means literature written by Czechs, in the Czech language, although Old Church Slavonic, Latin, and German were also used, mostly in the early periods. Modern authors from the Czech territory who wrote in other languages (e.g. German) are generally considered separately, and their writing usually existed in parallel with Czech-language literature and did not interact with it. Thus Franz Kafka, for example, who wrote in German (though he also knew Czech rather well), falls within Austrian literature, though he lived his entire life in Bohemia.

Regardles of what Wikipedia says, I would still consider Franz Kafka to be Czech. If not in literature, definitely by nationality. But Kafka aside there are loads of Czech writers out there - past and present - that have been translated to English. It's just finding the best point to test the water before jumping in.

Names that I have on my shelves are Bohumil Hrabal, Arno?t Lustig, and, although some of his works were written in French, Milan Kundera. Yes, I've barely scratched the surface. But beyond these guys, other names do come to mind, such as Jaroslav Ha?ek, Jiř? Weil, and Ivan Klima. And then there's Twisted Spoon Press, based in Prague, bringing out many titles of established and 'coming up' Czech literature that, having thumbed through a few titles in my local book store, all look tempting.

So, who have you read? What Czech writers are severely underlooked?

Eric

Former Member
Kafka is one of those multi-categorisable authors. As a (non-practising) Jew, with German as his mother-tongue, some knowledge of Yiddish and maybe a lot more of Czech, he is hard to pin down in our modern categories of citizen of a nation-state. He is a product of the multi-ethnic Austro-Hungarian Empire.

He falls into the same category, perhaps, as a Finland-Swede, anno 2008, who has Swedish as his mother-tongue, has a very good knowledge of Finnish (living in, say, Helsinki, where you just can't survive in everyday life without Finnish), a decent knowledge of English, but will always write his novels in his mother-tongue, Swedish.

There are many countries in Europe where there are language majorities and minorities. You can categorise writers living there by the language they write in, or by what's written in their passport. Belgium is one such country. You either write in Dutch or French - but you're still Belgian. Ditto Spain. Catalan, Galician and Basque writers are still Spanish citizens. Or those writing in Hungarian in Romania. Or Switzerland, with its four languages.

Britain is rather different. Our dominant language doubles up as an international lingua franca. This makes people in Britain think differently about writing-language and nationality, perhaps.

Eric

Former Member
The 21st August is the day for Czech literature. Wonder how many novels there are that bring up that day. Kundera, Havel, Kohout, Vacul?k and ?kvorecky are likely to have done. Also non-fiction authors, such as Zdenek Mlynar. Forty years is a long time, but that date in 1968 is not entirely irrelevant to where we find ourselves today.

One Canadian book publishing venture was:

68 Publishers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eric

Former Member
Czech literature now

The HOST publishing house in Brno, plus the affiliated literary agent Dana Blatn?, living nearby, have issued their foreign rights catalogue (in English). This gives some insights into what is being written in the Czech Republic right now:

http://www.nakladatelstvi.hostbrno.cz/download/host-autumn-2009.pdf

Only one of the books listed, Radka Denemarkov?'s Money From Hitler has appeared in English translation - in Canada. You can see excerpts from works by other authors on this website.

For those that can read Czech, the full website and publications is at:

HOST Nakladatelstv? nakladatelstvi v?pis dle Edice ?esk? pr?za

Their list of translations into Czech is not to be sniffed at. It shows what is coming into the Czech Republic from abroad by way of belles lettres, from Strindberg to Olga Tokarczuk, Robbe-Grillet to an anthology of literature from Qu?bec from between 1980 and 2000.

Eric

Former Member
Thanks Nnyhav. That is a genuinely useful portal to what is being written in Czechia (aka The Czech Republic). All we need now is for a dozen or two novels to actually be translated into English, so we can read them. Reading about novels we can't read because of language is prick-teasing.

GeraldineH

Hi Eric, are you a translator? From Czech? To? Reason I am asking (and apologies for detracting from the discussion thread): my husband is Czech-American, he wrote a novel which has been published in Czech. Now though, we want the book published in other countries, would you know of agents and/or translators that might be interested (he does not have an agent yet but we have the english version of the book already). Any help would be appreciated! Geraldine

Last edited:

Eric

Former Member
Like a good old StB agent, I had a look at the Burian a Tichák website, but I could find no sign of any Hofman. But I did find the book on the Kosmas website:

http://www.kosmas.cz/knihy/158190/omluva-julii/

The first thing you must have is two things: a longish excerpt, and a clear synopsis. Because any English-language publisher must be convinced, right from the start, that the book holds water at the level it is pitched. So if it a satire, there must be things that Americans find funny as well as Czechs.

Tell us a bit more about the content.

Eric

Former Member
Hi Geraldine. You could post the synopsis here if you wish. Then several people can comment. Because I don't possess the magic bullet for publication.

My reading knowledge of Czech is a combination of a few chapters of a primer, plus a reasonable knowledge of Polish. So I could read things on the Burian a Tichák website and elsewhere in a kind of rough and ready way.

I bought an anthology of Czech short-stories last weekend in Swedish translation. It contains a variety of authors including Ajvaz, Balabán, Šabach, Beran, Brycz, Topol, Pachtová, etc. I don't know whether these names mean anything to you.

Eric

Former Member
Here are the names of several Czech authors. Have any of you here read stories or novels by any of them?('scuse the missing diacritical marks). Here they are:

Michal Ajvaz
Jan Balabán
Stanislav Beran
Pavel Brycz
Jirí Hájícek
Emil Hakl
Petra Hulová
Lubomír Martínek
Hana Pachtová
Jaroslav Rudiš
Petr Šabach
Šimon Šafránek
Jáchym Topol
Jaromír Typlt
Anna Zonová

I hadn't heard of most of them myself until I bought a small anthology of stories the other day. It strikes me that although the Czech Republic has been fully sovereign (i.e. not a Russian colony) for about twenty years now, that we are still talking about Kundera as if he is the great new discovery. Surely the Czechs didn't stop writing in 1991!

The anthology I bought is in Swedish and published by a small press called Bokförlaget Tranan that has as one of its series a range of story anthologies from, for instance Vietnam, China, Greece, South Africa, Lithuania, Egypt, and Italy. See:

http://www.bokus.com/bok/9789186307042/tjeckien-berattar-i-sammetens-spar-femton-noveller/

It would be nice to see an equivalent series and anthology published in the UK. Not another online venture, but a book made out of paper, with copies lying in many bookshops.

reader

short story from the 1950s: Eine Kleine Nachtmusik?

this is a forlorn hope that someone out there might know the answer: Back in the fifties, when I was a teenager, we lived in Prague for some years. I remember reading a beautiful short story (in Czech), which I think had been recently published -- i.e. not an old classic. In the story, the narrator is walking down the street at night and through an open window he hears someone playing Eine Kleine Nachtmusik on the piano. I vaguely recall (this after all was half a century ago) that spring onions come into it too, or perhaps that was another story in the same volume, or even another story that I was reading at the same time. Does anyone happen to know who the author was? Or do you perhaps know someone who might know? The story has recently come into my mind, through various mental associations, and I remember how much I loved it at the time. (Although since I was a girl of 14 or 15, it might actually have been unbearably sentimental!)

N

nightwood

@Daniel, so not to spoil the Nobel Prize Speculation thread I post here in short about Ivan Klima.

Love And Garbage “The narrator of this novel has temporarily abandoned his work-in-progress - an essay on Kafka - and exchanged his writer's pen for the orange vest of a Prague road-sweeper. As he works, he meditates on Czechoslovakia, Kafka, life, art and his passionate and adulterous affair with Daria.”

Judge On Trial “Adam, a judge in Communist Czechoslovakia, falls under government suspicion after travelling abroad and being seen with the wrong people. In order to prove his political credentials, he is asked to deliver a verdict of guilty on a suspected murderer.”

Waiting For The Dark, Waiting For The Light “Ivan Klima's Waiting for the Dark, Waiting for the Light is set in Czechoslovakia in 1989. The old Communist regime, in place since 1948, hangs by a thread as the Velvet Revolution, led by students and dissident writers, such as Vaclav Havel (who went on to become President of the Czech Republic) and Ludvik Vaculik among others grows stronger daily. The novel's protagonist is Pavel Fukova. The story on its surface centers on Pavel's relationship with his old friend Peter, and Alice the girl they both loved. The inner story involves Pavel's apprehension about his own life and future as the long hoped for struggle for freedom races towards the finish line.”

I have only read this three in German translation so far, personally I would go for Judge On Trial which is in my opinion his best work and Love And Garbage. I have taken this short reviews from an local English bookstore but I will write in length in the days to come.

One thing which is always good to have in mind is that Klimas works are more often that not half-autobiographical. For example, he really was a road-sweeper for a while when he was banned from publishing, and alot of people he mentions one can easily recognize with a little knowledge about the situation in former Czechoslowakia. Its like a "Who-is-Who" from Czech literature, one can take his books like a historical memory of times already gone.

N

nightwood

Here is a very powerful IMHO samizdat writer of the Czech Republik, Lukas Tomin. I am currently reading his novel Kye, just some 50 pages into it. A more political, more experimental, more daring Charles Bukowski maybe? The "hero", a drinker, living in London in exile, lost in alcohol, sexual fantasies and daydreaming about what he has lost back in his home-country.

Born in Prague in 1963, Tomin spent his adolescence in the dissident community of the 1970s (his parents were signatories of Charter 77 and his mother served for a time as the movement's spokesperson). Denied access to secondary education at age fifteen, he took part in the numerous underground seminars and exchanges characteristic of opposition life and had his first works published in samizdat. In 1980, after unremitting harassment from the authorities and police, which found them placed under house arrest, the Tomins were forced into exile, and they went to England, where Lukas studied at St. Edward's School, Oxford and the University of London. From 1985 to 1987 Tomin alternately lived in Paris, where he wrote The Doll, London and Montreal. In 1991 he returned to Prague where he resided until his death in 1995, regularly contributing to Czech literary periodicals and journals.

Source: http://www.twistedspoon.com/tomin.html

And here is a review of the book, nicked from the local, english-published Prague Post from 1997 already:

"I am Kye of the underbelly region." This line from Lukas Tomin's recently released final work gives readers an idea where the novel's namesake is taking us. Seamy mental landscapes, seedy flats, pub booths, street scenes and soiled mattresses where the book's antihero smokes cigarettes and grapples with existential distress are a few of the places we visit via the author's schizophrenic, lyrical prose.

Like the lead character of Tomin's previous novel, Ashtrays, Kye is a self-proclaimed man out of balance, an exile living in a foreign city whose convulsive, involuted thoughts become the focus of the book's narrative.

The setting is contemporary London. The narrator, Kye, is a Czech expatriate who lives a life of alcoholism, dissolution and general purposelessness, save a part-time job dusting books in a bookshop. Plagued by a wicked case of ennui, Kye spends a lot of time being aimless in thought and deed, wondering where his next drink is coming from, and remembering more directed times - his revels in Paris, his youth in Czechoslovakia as a student demonstrator ("when policemen's batons were pointers to salvation").

The novel's loose plot consists of passages of fragmentary language pastiche interspersed with episodes imagined and actual, filtered through the narrator's distorted psychology.

Kye's mind leaps and spills like a piata, and the novel's other characters are introduced and developed according to its whims. Among the personalities are John, Kye's best friend; Denise, his partying housemate; Haila, his lovelorn Polish boss at the bookshop; Jack, the unwashed feminist; Lucy, his lover with bad breath; and his mother, whose sordid apartment Kye often visits uninvited, searching for food, liquor or understanding.

His primary obsession is with a girl he calls his "beloved" - a symbolic figure whose origin, history, relation to Kye and ultimate reality are unclear throughout, recalling Andre Breton's Nadja or Thomas Pynchon's V.

That the characters remain two-dimensional and representational works quite well in the solipsistic world of the novel. In Kye, where text becomes consciousness, the protagonist's personality, conversely, becomes a semiotic field of imaginings and symbolic markers.Edited and published posthumously, Kye has a great deal in common with Ashtrays, not least of which is the stylistic design of the book.

Avidly experimental in approach, the lines between observation and fantasy are dissolved, points of view (namely first- and third-person voice) are conflated, and the nervous drift of the narrative sweeps the reader into dislocation (readers unfamiliar with experimental fiction will need some time just to figure out what the hell is going on).

While Tomin's literary influences are modernist - most obviously Joyce and Beckett (the former in word-play and puns, the latter in moral sensibility and conceptual negative space), his voice and sense of humor are uniquely contemporary. Tomin is at his best in the fast-paced, punctuationless episodes in which live action and metaphor merge seamlessly. These passages have a vitality and wit that lighten the heavy-handed morbidity that pervades so much of the book.

And it is this ethos that ultimately weakens the novel. The intense, often poetic alienation that Kye feels ("where loneliness is great and undisturbed/like a map of a large country impossible to visit") eventually becomes too much to swallow. As readers we are asked to ride a one-track around in Kye's mind for the duration of the book, with no ironic distance from his navel-gazing inertia. There's only so much self-absorbed despairing one can voluntarily witness, and Kye's lack of will finally inspires neither empathy nor hatred - only an exasperated rolling of the eyes.

Tomin is a fine formalist whose narrative experiments are bold and intriguing. However, even given the structural looseness of an experimental novel, there is, by the book's end, a sense of the story not really coming together (even in Kye's nonliteral, metaphorical vein). One is led to question Tomin's grasp of his own project. It is unclear whether the lack of symbolic cohesiveness is due to Tomin's own organization or the after-the-fact editing, but the work ends up seeming more like a notebook of craftily related expressions than a novel. Even so, for fans of the author's previous work or for those with an interest in nontraditional writing, Kye still proves an engaging, if uneven, final offering by Lukas Tomin.

Source: http://www.praguepost.com/archivescontent/27001-tomin-s-final-novel-engaging-if-uneven.html

No need to start an own thread I suppose so I post it here :)

Eric

Former Member
Hi, StB calling. Who are these Sid, Jeb and Eva who run the Twisted Spoon, and why don't they write their surnames? It's a great website to encourage people to read Czech literature, but it might be nice to know who runs it. Have any of you seen Twisted Spoon books in the bookshops anywhere in the States or Europe? I haven't yet, but will buy things if I find any.

N

nightwood

Eric, I cannot really answer your questions but here are two distributors of their books, one in the USA and one in United Kingdom:

SCB DISTRIBUTORS
15608 South New Century Drive
Gardena, CA 90248-2129
USA
toll free: 1-800-729-6423
www.scbdistributors.com

CENTRAL BOOKS
99 Wallis Road
London, E9 5LN
United Kingdom
tel: 0845 458 9911
www.centralbooks.com

Taken from "Primeval And Other Times" which was published in 2010 so it should be still accurate...

On their websites are named several bookshops: http://www.twistedspoon.com/links.html where their books can be found:

in Berlin, Bucharest, Budapest, Krakow, Ljubljana and of course Prague :p

But of course at online bookshops like Amazon noone should have any troubles to order them...

Eric

Former Member
I saw precisely what you posted up from their website too. But it seems funny for a publishing house not to simply tell customers and prospective authors or translators what their names are.

In the days when Communism was chic in Britain among young middle-class students, Central Books was the leading bookshop where you could buy books about Moscow Communism, Maoism, Trotskyism, etc., and they also had a respectable section covering Russian literature and so on. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, they have become mainly an agent, as here, for things from Eastern and Central Europe. Their website is a bit funny.

Amazon is, of course, great for buying books online. However, I'm a great believer in the good old-fashioned activity of going to a bookshop and leafing through the book before I buy it, unless of course, I've got one or two other books from the same publisher and know what to expect.

So perhaps I'll have to hire an out-of-work ex-StB operative to find out this top secret information...

Eric

Former Member
Heteronym, one sentence (or short paragraph) on why you love them would be appreciated. They are surely very different writers, despite the fact that they all come from the same country.