Favorite Films

TrixRabbi

Dialing in on your mention of Rob Zombie's Halloween, which I strongly agree with. The first one has some fantastic stuff (particularly Danny Trejo's death, which is heart breaking) though his Halloween II is for my money one of the best films of the 21st century thus far. Zombie is inconsistent as a filmmaker, but my god when he is on his A-game he is like no one else.

Dialing in on your mention of Rob Zombie's Halloween, which I strongly agree with. The first one has some fantastic stuff (particularly Danny Trejo's death, which is heart breaking) though his Halloween II is for my money one of the best films of the 21st century thus far. Zombie is inconsistent as a filmmaker, but my god when he is on his A-game he is like no one else.

I have not seen RZ’s Halloween II as yet, although I hear it is bleak and intense. What I liked about the first is that it was an original and personal take on the material. The entire opening sequence really disturbed me; I still haven’t gotten over the baseball bat. ?

Skinnyfists

Here's a quick 20 in no particular order (except Buffalo 66 which is my favourite) -

Buffalo 66
71 Fragments in a Chronology of Chance
Vortex
Water Lilies
The Mother and the Whore
The Conversation
The Great Beauty
Drive my Car
Hard to be a God
Soul
Henry Fool
Mary and Max
Stalker
No Country for Old Men
Punch Drunk Love
In Fabric
Once Upon a time in Anatolia
Moonlight
Paterson

Bartleby

Here's a quick 20 in no particular order (except Buffalo 66 which is my favourite) -

Buffalo 66
Vortex
Water Lilies
The Mother and the Whore
The Conversation
The Great Beauty
Drive my Car
Hard to be a God
Soul
Henry Fool
Mary and Max
Stalker
No Country for Old Men
Punch Drunk Love
In Fabric
Moonlight
Paterson
Wow, bold choice of you to pick that Haneke (I loved it, but my favourite is Code Inconnu).

And since Peter Strickland's new film is out, I'll give In Fabric another try (I remember watching it until its half, and I really wasn't enjoying it, sadly, especially since I love The Duke of Burgundy and Berberian Sound Studio).

By the way, the multiple Halloween continuities are kind of interesting.

1-2-4-5-6
1-2-7-8
1-9-10-11
RZ1-RZ2

Halloween III: Season of the Witch takes place in a world in which the first Halloween exists as a film. (The three Human Centipede are “nestled” in that way: In each sequel, the earlier film(s) exist as film(s).)

5FC7400F-601F-457B-8537-39AE784291E3.png

Wow, bold choice of you to pick that Haneke (I loved it, but my favourite is Code Inconnu).

And since Peter Strickland's new film is out, I'll give In Fabric another try (I remember watching it until its half, and I really wasn't enjoying it, sadly, especially since I love The Duke of Burgundy and Berberian Sound Studio).

I like Code Inconnu very much also.

Andrew

1-2-4-5-6
1-2-7-8
1-9-10-11
RZ1-RZ2

Halloween III: Season of the Witch takes place in a world in which the first Halloween exists as a film. (The three Human Centipede are “nestled” in that way: In each sequel, the earlier film(s) exist as film(s).)

View attachment 1947
This looks like a subway map :p. I haven't watched any, I'm a big wimp where horror is concerned

Stevie B

Current Member

Buffalo 66
Vortex
Water Lilies
The Mother and the Whore
The Conversation
The Great Beauty
Drive my Car
Hard to be a God
Soul
Henry Fool
Mary and Max
Stalker
No Country for Old Men
Punch Drunk Love
In Fabric
Moonlight
Paterson
I like a bunch of the films on your list, especially Paterson and Once Upon a Time in Anatolia. The latter was definitely worth the extra cost to get it in blu ray.

TrixRabbi

1-2-4-5-6
1-2-7-8
1-9-10-11
RZ1-RZ2

View attachment 1947
It's nothing compared to the Night of the Living Dead family tree

^ A Twitter buddy made a pilgrimage to the original cemetery!

I will never forget my first viewing of Night of the Living Dead, on a b/w TV in a cabin in the woods at 11 PM. No kidding. Spooked!

I was aware of the Russo series, although I’ve never seen any of it.

My favorite Romero film is The Crazies (didn’t much like the remake). Also LOVE There’s Always Vanilla, which he disparaged.

I’ve only seen Martin once, the flesh-slicing bothered me. Great film, though. Still haven’t seen Season of the Witch.

I was present at an early screening of Bruiser with Romero himself in attendance. I considered it a disappointment at the time, but maybe worth another look now.

50CF387D-7FFE-4542-AF58-8A5EDEC64808.jpeg

Last edited:

TrixRabbi

Horror is so handily dismissed by "serious" critics but I find it to be perhaps the richest cinematic genre. Night of the Living Dead should rightfully be considered alongside Citizen Kane and Breathless as among the films that forever changed the medium in a single fell swoop. Yes, Psycho came before it and it couldn't exist without it, but Night of the Living Dead is a breakthrough for so many reasons: Independent filmmaking, its commentary on race, its dark reflection of America circa 1968, and the sheer influence it had over the decades playing drive-ins and creating a new generation of filmmakers. It deserves to be spoken of as one of the Great Films.

Liam

Administrator
^Check out this channel's other videos, they're great, amazing tributes to renowned filmmakers and actors, I love the phantasmagoric array of scenes and images, reminds me of how many films by my favorite directors I haven't seen yet, :confused:

Ben Jackson

Early this morning, Everything Everywhere won an amazing seven Oscars, for Best Actress, Best Picture, Director, Original Screenplay, Supporting Actress, and Supporting Actor. Best Actor, meanwhile, went to Brendan Fraser for The Whale, while All Quiet on the Western Front won Best Foreign Film. Women Talking also won Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. Wasn't surprised of Everything Everywhere's dominance at the Oscars, it's such a great movie. Congrats to all the winners.

Z--

I like this! Here's a ten current favorites as well; limited myself to one per director - and in no particular order. I've also avoided film/television hybrids as well.
  • Anderson, There Will Be Blood
  • Ceylan, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia
  • Costa, Vitalina Varela
  • Farhadi, A Separation
  • Haneke, Amour
  • Glazer, Under the Skin
  • Kubrick, 2001: A Space Odyssey
  • Ming-liang, Days
  • Tarkovsky, The Mirror
  • Tarr, The Turin Horse