Favourite Non-Fiction works/Dramatists

Ben Jackson

This is a companion thread to favourite Nobel Prize Novels/Poets, but in this case, this thread focuses on Dramatist/Non-Fiction.

Many of us don't really pay attention to non-fiction, though some of us do read History, Autobio, Bio, Memoirs, essays whether literary, cultural or philosophical. Same too for Drama. We all love reading novels, but reading Non-Fiction and plays also provides a wonderful reading experience. Some of our favourite Nobel Prize winners wrote essays, philosophy, travelogue, even autobiographies, biographies, memoirs.

They have only been about six Laureates who won mainly for their works as non-fiction writers: Mommsen, Eucken, Bergson, Russell, Churchill, Alexevitch (Camus, Sartre, Canetti, even Naipaul did have massive outputs both in the literary and non-fictional spheres), while they have been some who were shortlisted but failed to win: Freud, Jung, Karl Jaspers, James Frazer, Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan (Tolstoy, in the same situation with Camus and Sartre, writing in both worlds), Jacques Derrida and Ryszard Kapusincki (an Academy member confirmed their shortlists in an interview I read three years ago), to just list a few names.
They have also been about eleven Dramatists awarded mainly for their Dramatic works: Maeterlinck, Shaw Hauptmann, Echegaray, Bjorson, Beckett, Soyinka, Eugene O'Neill, Pirandello, Dario Fo, Pinter, although, just like the Non-fiction recipients, some have won for other writings, Jelinek, Sartre, Camus and Handke for example. And they have been notable shortlist for Dramatist, like Eugene Ionesco for example.

In this thread, members should list 20 Non-Fictional works written by Nobel Prize Winners and 5 Nobel Prize Winning Dramatists (you can also list your favourite play from the Dramatist). The purpose of creating both threads is for members to share/recommend works for mere artistic appreciations and enrichment of reading experience and diversity (an individual from Brazil reading a work from Iceland or Serbia and vice verse).

I'll start first by listing the Dramatists:

Samuel Beckett Waiting for Godot (Republic of Ireland)
Bernard Shaw Man and Superman (Republic of Ireland)
Wole Soyinka Death and the King's Horseman (Nigeria)
Harold Pinter The Birthday Party (England)
Eugene O'Neill Long Day's Journey into Night (USA)

Jacinto Benavente was also primarily a dramatist.

I listed some of my favorites that you ask for here in my post in the other thread, so won’t repeat.

But I love reading drama, ever since I read all the mature Ibsen plays in a binge during high school.

Although an updated version would be nice, Myron Matlaw’s 1972 reference book Modern World Drama is still THE best guide to navigating this literature. Martin Seymour-Smith’s guides don’t stint on the drama, either, although he underrates Shaw.

4F555C82-D8F9-4D4D-9220-85A21C02FE90.jpeg

Ben Jackson

Thanks for mentioning Benevente Pat. I knew I was missing a Playwright but didn't remember that one. Thanks.

And I love the cover of that book you posted.

It's okay if you posted about drama in the other thread. I forgot to open this thread yesterday.

Ben Jackson

Camus: The Myth of Sisyphus
Solzhenitsyn: The Gulag Archipelago
Canetti: Crowds and Power
Alexievich: everything
Gulag is one book I would love to read someday, maybe in my 30s when I'll be able to have a full understanding of its subject and time for it. Have also tried looking for Crowds and Power but haven't seen it both on Pdf and paperback.