Felix Timmermans

wordeater

His books used to be very popular in Flanders, but nowadays not many people read him anymore. He wrote regional novels about nature, farmer's life and Catholicism. His language is outdated. The two novels mentioned above belong to collective memory thanks to film adaptations. "Pallieter" has become a name for a nature lover, a Flemish nationalist newspaper and of a popular pub in Antwerp. Another interesting novel is the posthumous Adriaan Brouwer, about a 17th century painter.

After World War II he was accused of "cultural collaboration", but the charge was dismissed.

Papageno

I read one of his books years ago... Boerenpsalm (it was translated as something like "The Peasant's Prayer"). I have to admit that I was not very impressed at all. The plot seemed indifferent and clichéd, with a lot of pathos and the insistence on the man's attachment to the land etc. There was something very archaic about it. I think there are much better books out there from the same period dealing with the same themes.
I am interested in the novels @wordeater mentioned, especially the one about nature. I'll try to see if there is a translation readily available.

Benny Profane

There are two books by Felix Timmermans translated into Braziian Portuguese. The first one is about St. Francis and the second is a collection of short stroies.