Finland-Swedish Literature

Eric

Former Member
I'll put up with the scrolling, as there is a way of accessing each individual poet separately.

With regard to the Gösta Ågren, cannot other publishing houses be contacted? Surely the opinion of one man, albeit an influential one like Neil Astley, cannot consign a serious and important Finland-Swedish poet to internet-only access. I still like to see a printed book, rather than print out everything on A4s from the internet. (And you know my views on Kindle.) Surely Carcanet, Action Books, Arc Publications, or another poetry publisher could be persuaded.

Eric

Former Member
You will remember that I said in another thread that I have never managed to read much philosophy, as it seemed to analyse only very small parts of reality and not give an overview.

Well, the Finland-Swedish poet Gösta Ågren used quotes from Heidegger and Wittgenstein to rather good effect in his 2006 collection "Här i orkanens blinda öga" (Here In the Blind Eye of the Hurricane).

He takes small sentences from the philosophers and on the opposite page writes a poem alluding the the sentence in question.

It's a pity that DWM, who has translated Ågren, no longer posts here, as he could comment on this phhenomenon.