Folklore / Fairy Tales / Mythology

This is not my best-read area personally, but I see a thread gap, I fill it!

Teaching Greek mythology to high school students was always a blast; they really seemed to take to it. Edith Hamilton’s Mythology is a first-rate introduction.

I used to dip into Andrew Lang’s “color” fairy tale collections when I was a kid, and recently read the Yellow cover-to-cover. Fun, but honestly, one more king, queen, prince, or princess, and I was going to scream. Also, the “rules” of Faerie not only change considerably from story to story, as might be expected, but WITHIN stories as well, which is more disconcerting. One consistent lesson you do learn is to follow instructions precisely and literally - take just a smidge of leeway and you are in BIG trouble.

There is plenty of folklore and mythology in Edward Burnett Tylor’s two-volume Primitive Culture from 1871.

Zora Neale Hurston was an anthroplogist (student of the treat Franz Boas!) and folklore collector; her Mules and Men is a treat.

Finally, I am taking a stab at Hari Prasad Shastri’s complete prose translation of the Ramayana from 1952. Don’t mind saying that this is very challenging. So many names! Hundreds already, and I’m not even through with Volume I. Furthermore, as in a Russian novel, almost every entity has MULTIPLE names.

Liam

Administrator
Marina Warner's From the Beast to the Blonde is indispensable in both folklore and fairy-tale studies.

There's also plenty of fiction that has "reworked" or "reimagined" old stories, like Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber; and mythology (specifically, Greek) has proven to be fertile ground for modern writers as well: I am thinking in particular of The Song of Achilles which recently became an unexpected bestseller in the US.

^ Bruno Bettelheim’s The Uses of Enchantment: The Meaning and Importance of Fairy Tales is provocative.

Roger Sale’s Fairy Tales and After offers excellent criticism on both fairy tales and later children’s literature.