Franz Kafka Prize

peter_d

Reader
This is a bit of an absurd statement. regardless of what you think about his writing, Haruki Murakami if anything was probably the most fitting winner of this prize. His work out of all of the prize's winners is the most indebted to Franz Kafka, the prize's namesake. His work is more "Kafkaeqsue" than most of the other winners.

As far as I understand, the purpose of the Kafka Prize is not to award the most Kafkaesque writer. They're not looking for copycats. On the website of the Kafka Society it is stated that:

"The mission of the Franz Kafka Prize is the evaluation of artistically exceptional literary creation of contemporary author whose work addresses the readers regardless of their origin, nationality and culture, as well as the work of Franz Kafka, one of the greatest authors of modern world literature."

and

"The basic criterion is the quality and exclusivity of the artwork, its humanistic character and contribution to cultural, national, language and religious tolerance, its existential, timeless character, its generally human validity and its ability to hand over a testimony about our times."

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
I will say the cover blurb sounds enticing. A shame he seems under translated across many languages.

[FONT=&quot]The first extensive collection of Wernisch's verse to appear in English, drawing together more than one hundred poems from the whole course of Wernisch's career. From imagist haikus to long dramatic monologues, from nonsense verse to metaphysical meditation, from political grotesque to post-modern experiment, from folk songs to war poetry, Wernisch's work illustrates the poet's wide-ranging imagination, his erudite melancholy and absurdist skepticism, and his fascination with both high and low culture from many different poetic traditions.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"One of the basic experiences of reading Wernisch is feeling one’s own imagination begin to overflow the boundaries of an individual poem, even poems that one has read many times before, such that any particular work begins to feel like a fragment of a larger whole — a piece torn from a map, a page torn out of a bestiary, or a folk tale from an otherwise unknown people. And even as the poems encourage us to reach beyond them, they seem to warn us about how destabilizing and disconcerting this reaching can be." [/FONT]

Stevie B

Current Member
I actually had Ivan Wernisch over for dinner last weekend and he is the godfather of my son Luc. Just kidding. I hadn’t heard of him, either.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Happy to see him getting some more recognition! I loved Abbots and Winter Myhologies, as well as Masters and Servants

Daniel del Real

The laureate this year is Milan Kundera:

Benny Profane

Last edited:

alik-vit

Reader
Well, there was a delay about the announcement last year (2021). It was in Decembember 17.
As @alik-vit found it, in this link above is the correct biography of the winner. Thank you, @alik-vit!:)
You are welcome) actually it's more academia-oriented biography and he was really involved in some "TV" activity too. The first version of your post was correct. That is why I deleted my "pettifogging" comment)

Ben Jackson

Another old thread I have discovered.

I haven't heard much of this prize, but looking at the winners, it seems kind of Eurocentric, although Atwood has won the Prize. Aome of the recipients we're/are seriously considered for the Nobel. So many I would try and read some of them. I have read Banville, Roth, Jelinek, Pinter, Murakami already though.