Franz Kafka Prize

Victor Sosnora (1936-), who IS still alive after all, is a strange mix of futurism and avantgardism, and reads a bit like a cross between Marina Tsvetaeva and Velimir Khlebnikov, except he's much more dark, hopeless and bitingly pugnacious than the other two. Combining intricate archaisms in most of his poetry, he couples it with a postmodern subject matter, producing a kind of vertiginous effect in the reader.

We have a huge two-volume set at home (each volume approximating 900+ pages), one containing his prose works, the other his poetry. I haven't had enough time to delve into the former, unfortunately, but opening the book at random, I came across the following sentence. The speaker stands upon the shores of a stormy sea on a particularly gray and gloomy day, and he says: "The sea breaks, like a cobweb." I don't know why I thought this line was so very beautiful, but I did.

Initially I didn't think his stuff was something that would have appealed to me: my mother finally convinced me when she said that he rewrote some of the Old Russian texts (like The Song of Igor's Campaign) in his collection The Horsemen, along different lines. Here's where his historical negativity comes in. Imagine somebody rewriting Beowulf, and every bit as brilliantly as the original anonymous poet or poets, except portraying him as a serial rapist. Sosnora doesn't exactly glory in Russian history, he exposes it as a bloody farce.

There's a French and Russian Wiki page on him, if you read any of those two languages. Amazon has one book by him in English on offer, namely A Million Premonitions, collecting some of his poetry in one volume. I've no idea if it's any good (but can check the quality of the translations at my local library, which has the book), as I've only read Sosnora in the original, which, by the way, is not for the faint-hearted. I asked my mother, who's a better Russian-speaker than I am, if he was meant to be this difficult, or if it was just me, and she said, No, that's the way he writes. Insanely complicated syntax, coupled with new word-coinage.

One of his short stories that I've read in full talks about a mentally unstable man staying in the countryside for the summer, whose holiday is ruined when he comes across a crucified frog nailed to his door! It may not sound like much, but it is a very powerful short story, all the more powerful because it ends where it does--we never find out who did it, or why, or what happens to the narrator afterwards. A single moment of cruelty, illuminating the speaker's day like a sudden epiphany, and then, the end. I think that pretty much sums up Sosnora's negative view of life.

Thanks for that information, really interesting...If you do get a chance to let me know how the translations are in A Million Premonitions, do let me know. I see that a few are also excerpted in the anthology In the Grip of Strange Thoughts and I'm going to check those out, too. Looking forward to it.

Victor Sosnora (1936-), who IS still alive after all, is a strange mix of futurism and avantgardism, and reads a bit like a cross between Marina Tsvetaeva and Velimir Khlebnikov, except he's much more dark, hopeless and bitingly pugnacious than the other two. Combining intricate archaisms in most of his poetry, he couples it with a postmodern subject matter, producing a kind of vertiginous effect in the reader.

We have a huge two-volume set at home (each volume approximating 900+ pages), one containing his prose works, the other his poetry. I haven't had enough time to delve into the former, unfortunately, but opening the book at random, I came across the following sentence. The speaker stands upon the shores of a stormy sea on a particularly gray and gloomy day, and he says: "The sea breaks, like a cobweb." I don't know why I thought this line was so very beautiful, but I did.

Initially I didn't think his stuff was something that would have appealed to me: my mother finally convinced me when she said that he rewrote some of the Old Russian texts (like The Song of Igor's Campaign) in his collection The Horsemen, along different lines. Here's where his historical negativity comes in. Imagine somebody rewriting Beowulf, and every bit as brilliantly as the original anonymous poet or poets, except portraying him as a serial rapist. Sosnora doesn't exactly glory in Russian history, he exposes it as a bloody farce.

There's a French and Russian Wiki page on him, if you read any of those two languages. Amazon has one book by him in English on offer, namely A Million Premonitions, collecting some of his poetry in one volume. I've no idea if it's any good (but can check the quality of the translations at my local library, which has the book), as I've only read Sosnora in the original, which, by the way, is not for the faint-hearted. I asked my mother, who's a better Russian-speaker than I am, if he was meant to be this difficult, or if it was just me, and she said, No, that's the way he writes. Insanely complicated syntax, coupled with new word-coinage.

One of his short stories that I've read in full talks about a mentally unstable man staying in the countryside for the summer, whose holiday is ruined when he comes across a crucified frog nailed to his door! It may not sound like much, but it is a very powerful short story, all the more powerful because it ends where it does--we never find out who did it, or why, or what happens to the narrator afterwards. A single moment of cruelty, illuminating the speaker's day like a sudden epiphany, and then, the end. I think that pretty much sums up Sosnora's negative view of life.

Check out this interview with Sosnora-
http://www.darragoldstein.com/downloads/Darra_Goldstein_Sonora.pdf

Liam

Administrator
Thanks, very helpful; didn't know the following 3 things about him:

1. that he was completely deaf

2. that he lived/studied in my mom's old hometown of Lviv, Ukraine

3. that he published the mind-bogglingly beautiful poetic sequence The Riders (aka Horsemen) at the age of 22!

Unfortunately I don't have enough time at the moment to delve deeper into his work, but those two thick volumes beckon silently from the shelves, :).

redhead

Blahblahblah
Re: 2013 Kafka Prize for Amos Oz

If I want to start reading Oz's work, what's the best place to start? He seems like an author I need to acquaint myself with.

Daniel del Real

Re: 2013 Kafka Prize for Amos Oz

If I want to start reading Oz's work, what's the best place to start? He seems like an author I need to acquaint myself with.

I'd recommend The Same Sea or Scenes from the Village Life to start. The first one is a novel you read like poetry, with very lyric short chapters. The second one is a set of stories that happen in the same village, with the characters lurking from one story to another.

redhead

Blahblahblah
Yan Lianke wins 2014 Kafka Prize

http://www.china.org.cn/arts/2014-05/28/content_32515660.htm

Nice to see China's literary scene get some more attention. Though not a dissident, he should avoid controversy similar to what Mo Yan had to face when he won the Nobel as he's not a part of the party and many of his works are critical and blasphemous to the regime (resulting in some of his most famous works being banned). Previously, he was nominated for the Man Booker International Prize, along with fellow Chinese writer Su Tong.

Re: Yan Lianke wins 2014 Kafka Prize

I'm very glad for him. Dream of Ding Village fell a little flat for me, especially because I was still on the Mo Yan buzz, and perhaps unfairly expecting the same. I want to give him a second chance however. It's funny because when I was in China, in a few cities I saw his book for sale in English in Chinese bookshops, so obviously the censor only goes so far. Equally, apparently it's ridiculously easy to get a pirated/black-market copy of his novels in Chinese. But congratulations! The Kafka Prize is very distinguished!

Daniel del Real

I'm very glad for him. Dream of Ding Village fell a little flat for me, especially because I was still on the Mo Yan buzz, and perhaps unfairly expecting the same. I want to give him a second chance however. It's funny because when I was in China, in a few cities I saw his book for sale in English in Chinese bookshops, so obviously the censor only goes so far. Equally, apparently it's ridiculously easy to get a pirated/black-market copy of his novels in Chinese. But congratulations! The Kafka Prize is very distinguished!

Well, just couldn't resist and ordered Dream of Ding Village. Fortunately, as I didn't like Mo Yan, there won't be any comparison between them. Probably the comparison will come with Yu Hua, which I read and enjoyed.

redhead

Blahblahblah

My library doesn't have a copy of Dream of Ding Village unfortunately, but they do have To Serve the People, which from descriptions interests me more. I'll type my thoughts about it later this summer, but wikipedia sums up the novel as this:

Yan Lianke used Mao's phrase "To Serve the People" for the name of his novel, which contains vivid and colorful descriptions of sex scenes, resulting in extensive controversy when it was featured in 2005 in a magazine "Flower City". The Chinese government ordered the publisher to stop the release of 30,000 copies of the magazine, which in turn created huge demand for the novel.[SUP][1][/SUP]

The storyline is similar to D. H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover: the younger wife (32 yrs) of an old and impotent army general (52 yrs), begins to seduce a soldier (28 yrs), assigned to do the domestic chores for the general. During a three-day run of sex, the soldier runs out of energy. They discovered that when he smashes a bust items with Mao Zedong's image, he can get aroused again. Afterward they smash or deface all of the Mao imagery in their residence to prove their love for each other. The story's background, the Cultural Revolution, means the main characters are fully aware of the consequences of smashing Mao's statues: death by firing squad.[SUP][3][/SUP]

Daniel del Real

Margaret Atwood wins 2017 Franz Kafka Prize

Canadian writer Margaret Atwood has been announced as the recipient of the 2017 edition of the Franz Kafka prize.

https://publishingperspectives.com/2017/06/margaret-atwood-franz-kafka-international-prize-2017/

A perennial candidate for the Nobel Prize who saw her chances almost ruined with the award going to Alice Munro now receives this important prize that despite being relatively new has gained popularity with solid choices over the years.

I've only read a novel by her, which I thought it was good, but didn't really push me to keep digging in her works.

Ater Lividus Ruber & V

我ヲ學ブ者ハ死ス
Someone on the Academy wrote something for a similar series, which Atwood also was involved in; so, I doubt they'd exclude her on that basis. Not to suggest I'm saying she's going to win the prize, but I don't think they view this movement of contemporary authors reimagining classics as being avariciously contrived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canongate_Myth_Series

Klas [FONT=&quot]Östergren[/FONT]

I'm a Canadian. I grew up with Atwood in my curricula everywhere. She is widely regarded as a very good writer, one of the best we have. I don't agree by any means, though I appreciate the work that she has done to bring international attention to Canadian authors, but I don't see her as one of the greats in World Literature or even in Canadian literature. She would be nowhere near my top 5 or 10 authors from my home country. But she is good. I'll give her that. And sometimes I enjoy reading her books when I need to read something easy and quick and a little too on-the-cuff (which is perhaps a repetition of isahoinp's critique - there doesn't seem to be much under the surface of an Atwood novel). That said, I would say her short stories are often better than her novels, even if they would benefit a good deal from some more serious editing from her publisher.

I can think of a great many other writers who are more deserving. But this prize has gone to Haruki Murakami as well, and Philip Roth, which isn't to say that it isn't a good prize (it has also gone to some other writers that I admire a good deal more), but is to say that, like all prizes, it sometimes misses the mark a little bit. It certainly doesn't make me want to read more of her work, and it doesn't lead me to believe that she is seriously considered as a worthy Nobel winner either.

hoodoo

Reader
I have. I'm not a huge fan of it, but i'll stick with it until the end. I've read a few of her books, including the Handmaids Tale. Her best book is by a long shot, The Blind Assassin.