Gothic Fiction

Ben Jackson

Works of Gothic Fiction emphasize fear and haunting environment of fear, blended with supernatural elements and intrusion of past and present. It's usually set in castles, monasteries, crypts.

Key Works:
??????? Castle of Otranto--- Hugh Walpole
??????? Major novels--- Ann Radcliffe, Claire Reeve
?? Major Novels--- E T A Hoffmann, Marble Statue--- Joseph Eichendorff
?? Dracula--- Bram Stoker, Uncle Silas, Camila--- Le Fanu
??????? Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde--- Louis Stevenson
?? Major Novels--- Daphne Du Maurier, Stories--- Shirley Jackson, Beloved--- Toni Morrison, Major novels--- Anne Rice, Major Novels-- Stephen King
Phantom of the Opera--- Gaston Leroux
?? Bellefleur, Bloodsmoor Romance-Joyce Carol Oates, Stories--- Flannery O'Connor, Stories--- Eudora Welty, In Cold Blood--- Truman Capote
?? Shadow of the Wind--- Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Liam

Administrator
I would taxonomize Lovecraft's stories as more in the field of "preternatural horror" with Gothic elements.

One of my favorite Gothic novels is Melmoth the Wanderer by Charles Maturin.

Jane Austen's wonderful parody of the Gothic novel, Northanger Abbey, also deserves a mention.

Contemporary cinematic depictions of the Gothic genre would include the television series Penny Dreadful, which I loved, and the films of Guillermo del Toro, especially Crimson Peak which, despite stunning visuals, also left much to be desired, (I liked, not loved, it).

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
I would taxonomize Lovecraft's stories as more in the field of "preternatural horror" with Gothic elements.
Indeed, that sounds more accurate than just 'Gothic'.

(EDIT). Browsing through 'The Best of H.P. Lovecraft' copy I have with me, I thought that a story such as 'The Rats in the Wall' does includes Gothic elements, but in the end, more than the Gothic, I think it's the Horror that sticks to mind.

Last edited: