Irmtraud Morgner

Benny Profane

According to Wikipedia: Irmtraud Morgner, (22 August 1933 – 6 May 1990), was a German writer, best known for works of magical realism concerned predominantly with the role of gender in East German society.

Works[edit]​

• Das Signal steht auf Fahrt. Berlin, 1959
  • Ein Haus am Rand der Stadt. Berlin, 1962
  • Hochzeit in Konstantinopel. Berlin, 1968
  • Gauklerlegende. Berlin, 1970
  • Die wundersamen Reisen Gustavs des Weltfahrers. Berlin, 1972
  • Leben und Abenteuer der Trobadora Beatriz nach Zeugnissen ihrer Spielfrau Laura. Berlin, 1974
    • The Life and Adventures of Trobadora Beatrice as Chronicled by Her Minstrel Laura (translated by Jeanette Clausen). Nebraska, 2000
  • Geschlechtertausch (with Sarah Kirsch und Christa Wolf). Darmstadt, 1980
  • Amanda. Ein Hexenroman (Amanda. A Witch's Tale). Berlin, 1983
  • Die Hexe im Landhaus (with Erica Pedretti). Zürich, 1984
  • Der Schöne und das Biest. Leipzig, 1991
  • Rumba auf einen Herbst. Hamburg, 1992
  • Das heroische Testament (The Heroic Testament). München, 1998
  • Erzählungen. Berlin, 2006
I'm very interested in reading her works. Magic Realism + Gender Discussions + East German? Yes!!

Has anyone read her works here?

Stevie B

Current Member
According to Wikipedia: Irmtraud Morgner, (22 August 1933 – 6 May 1990), was a German writer, best known for works of magical realism concerned predominantly with the role of gender in East German society.

Works[edit]​

• Leben und Abenteuer der Trobadora Beatriz nach Zeugnissen ihrer Spielfrau Laura. Berlin, 1974
    • The Life and Adventures of Trobadora Beatrice as Chronicled by Her Minstrel Laura (translated by Jeanette Clausen). Nebraska, 2000
I'm very interested in reading her works. Magic Realism + Gender Discussions + East German? Yes!!

New name to me, Benny. Thanks for sharing. Your post also serves as a reminder to me that I need to read more East German authors.

kpjayan

Reader
New name to me, Benny. Thanks for sharing. Your post also serves as a reminder to me that I need to read more East German authors.

Incidentally, today, I bought 2 books by erstwhile East German Writers. Christa Wolf and Wolfgang Hilbig. Uwe Johnson, writer of the spendid 'Speculation about Jakob, can also be considered East German, I guess. Jenny Erpenbck , too ?

Stevie B

Current Member
Incidentally, today, I bought 2 books by erstwhile East German Writers. Christa Wolf and Wolfgang Hilbig. Uwe Johnson, writer of the spendid 'Speculation about Jakob, can also be considered East German, I guess. Jenny Erpenbck , too ?
Thanks for the suggestions, Jayan. Wolfgang Hilbig is a new name to me. By the way, I was surprised Ingeborg Bachmann didn't make your list (until I just discovered she's Austrian ?). For some reason, I confuse her and Christa Wolf.

Ben Jackson

Works[edit]​

New name to me. Thanks for this name, Benny.

From East Germany, I have only heard of Christa Wolf, (a Nobel Contender for years, loved her book Patterns of Childhood), Uwe Johnson and I think Jenny Erpenbeck and Anna Seghers, but haven't read them yet.

Once again, thanks for this.

Benny Profane