Is there a way to stop all these spammers from registering?

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I'm deleting them as they come in, and banning their email domains.

I've put a halt on any @yahoo.com and @gmail.com emails too, for now.

Daniel del Real

I'm deleting them as they come in, and banning their email domains.

I've put a halt on any @yahoo.com and @gmail.com emails too, for now.

Is there a way we could grant permission personally just like they do at the Fictional Woods. That would help a lot. Three of us could be helping with that.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I'm going to see what can be done about this. It's getting ridiculous. It may be a plug-in I have active, it may be that they can just beat the user registration just now.

Starting with an upgrade to the latest software, when I get a chance. Hopefully tonight, if not by the end of the week.

I'm considering upgrading to the next version of vBulletin, which is feature rich, but not immediately.

pesahson

Reader
That would be great because in the past several weeks I received two or three spam messages on this forum. It's not a big deal, but it never happened before.

Liam

Administrator
^Yes, me too, and two of them were in Russian! As in, they composed their message in Russian, trying to sell me tea and other products, :rolleyes:.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I'm at least able to fix that issue immediately. Unless you are full member of the forum, you can no longer send private messages. At the end of the day, why should you be allowed anyway?

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
I'm deleting them all. (EDIT: Just going to take a bit of time.)

They seem to crack the CAPTCHA security thing. Will need to look to see if there's any improved security I can import to the forum. Alternatively, a forum upgrade to vBulletin 5....maybe even a migration to the vBulletin cloud so that updates/upgrades/security fixes happen automatically.

Stewart

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. That's a big cleanup of accounts. I'll try and make it more regular.

If anyone has legitimately registered, is reading this, and I've deleted their account....please register again and post as soon as possible. Having a post or two against your account will certainly save you from a mass spam user cull.

abby79

Okay. That's a big cleanup of accounts. I'll try and make it more regular.

If anyone has legitimately registered, is reading this, and I've deleted their account....please register again and post as soon as possible. Having a post or two against your account will certainly save you from a mass spam user cull.

Just done.