JCB Prize for Literature - for Contemporary Indian Literature

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
^ Thanks. Haven't read this one.

Keki N Daruwalla ( poet, primarily) has written a novel "For Pepper and Christ" , which looks at the early attempts to reach India by the Portuguese, the Vasco da Gama one and the Cabral that followed.
That book sounds interesting, at least for the topic it covers. Have you heard or do you have any idea about it's literary quality?

kpjayan

Reader
I've read the book, when it was released and had a good impression. He probably relied on some of the stories/tales that are already known in these parts and added his elements to it.

Leseratte

Extending the discussion 'Portuguese in India' , this might interest yoiu.

A very interesting article, Jayan, thanks for sharing it. It´s amazing how Portuguese and how solitary this Literature seems to be in it´s beginnings. Most of these Goan poets and writers have Portuguese names and are influenced by the Portuguese themes and trends. Only gradually they start to incorporate more Indian themes. And at last it dwindles altogether?

kpjayan

Reader
People continue to have Portuguese names ( as French names and pronunciations in Pondicherry). However, the influence, I think, is limited to that apart from some heritage culinary aspects.

Leseratte

The long list is announced. Geetanjali Shree among other notable names.. Anees Salim is talked about a lot. I'm yet to read him.

Some very original titles. For a moment I thought that The Odd Book of Baby Names just listed baby names.Reading though them I got the feeling that Indian fiction still has much rich ground to explore.

Stevie B

Current Member
The long list is announced. Geetanjali Shree among other notable names.. Anees Salim is talked about a lot. I'm yet to read him.

For those who appreciate beautiful cover art, all of these books are like eye candy. Jayan, your mention of Anees Salim caught my attention. I did a little digging and discovered he has published seven books. I also noticed that Forbes India called him "one of the outstanding storytellers in contemporary Indian writing." I decided to order a copy of The Small-Town Sea and will move it to the front of the reading queue once it arrives. I also read that although the author comes from a public relations background, he does not participate in book tours or literary festivals.

1662295559857.png

Last edited:

kpjayan

Reader
It is the Urdu Language book, The Paradise of Food, wins this year. I haven't read this, yet.

kpjayan

Reader
Perumal Murugan wins it this time ! I haven't read this book yet.