José Emilio Pacheco: Inventario

Ludus

Reader
Ediciones Era published four years ago (2017) a generous selection of José Emilio Pacheco's Inventario, his extraordinary column, spanning four decades of reviews, essays, opinion pieces, historical notes and literary master classes. The three tomes together sum up to an impressive 2000 pages, and it is just a third of the impossible complete inventarios.

Pacheco (Premio Cervantes, Premio Reina Sofía, excellent poet and short story writer), who signed all of this short and dynamic pieces as JEP, shows his incredible intelligence, erudition and commitment from the start. Just finished reading today the first volume (726 pages). Inventarios about mexican history and poetry, Neruda, García Márquez, Salvador Allende, Oscar Wilde, Pound, the history of the typing machine, new journalism, spanish barroque literature, politics, Henry Milller, Quevedo, Whitman, the modernistas, Kafka, fascism, López Velarde... and that's just a small part of it.

inventario.jpeg

The name of the column, Inventario, is pretty interesting: it could be translated as Inventory, a list of things in a place, but it also suggest the word invention: imagination, creation, intelligence.

I will be reading the second and third volumes in the next months, and I would recommend to anyone who can read Spanish to get a copy of this. You can also get the handy kindle version that includes the whole three volumes in one nifty file.

Ludus

Reader
Precisely the kind of literary journalism I like. My reading in Spanish is at a snail’s pace, though. ?

I would reccomend you to check the first volume out! If you want to have a taste test before you buy, you can take a look at this Facebook page in which some inventarios are posted periodically. You can see if the language is adequate for your Spanish level:)

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
Ediciones Era published four years ago (2017) a generous selection of José Emilio Pacheco's Inventario, his extraordinary column, spanning four decades of reviews, essays, opinion pieces, historical notes and literary master classes. The three tomes together sum up to an impressive 2000 pages, and it is just a third of the impossible complete inventarios.

Pacheco (Premio Cervantes, Premio Reina Sofía, excellent poet and short story writer), who signed all of this short and dynamic pieces as JEP, shows his incredible intelligence, erudition and commitment from the start. Just finished reading today the first volume (726 pages). Inventarios about mexican history and poetry, Neruda, García Márquez, Salvador Allende, Oscar Wilde, Pound, the history of the typing machine, new journalism, spanish barroque literature, politics, Henry Milller, Quevedo, Whitman, the modernistas, Kafka, fascism, López Velarde... and that's just a small part of it.

View attachment 1567

The name of the column, Inventario, is pretty interesting: it could be translated as Inventory, a list of things in a place, but it also suggest the word invention: imagination, creation, intelligence.

I will be reading the second and third volumes in the next months, and I would recommend to anyone who can read Spanish to get a copy of this. You can also get the handy kindle version that includes the whole three volumes in one nifty file.
I hope you're happy. You just cost me mucho moola.

Stevie B

Current Member
Loved to read this work. I love literary journalism despite studying Law in the University. Are they other famous works of literary journalism?
A number of Joan Didion books would fit the bill. For the record, I enjoyed Slouching Towards Bethlehem. I suppose Hunter S. Thompson would qualify, as well, especially if you like the mix of journalism and mind-altering drugs.

Last edited:
A number of Joan Didion books would fit the bill. For the record, I enjoyed Slouching Towards Bethlehem. I suppose Hunter S. Thompson would qualify, as well, especially if you like the mix of journalism and mind-altering drugs.

The phrase “literary journalism” is an interesting one, because it can mean either journalism that uses literary techniques (the New Journalists) or journalism that is about literature and related subjects (Orwell, Arnold Bennett).