Krasznahorkai László

Rumpelstilzchen

Former Member
One thing I have to say, though, since it does not take much time. He is one of the most impressive living writers I have encountered in my life so far. By now, after having read practically everything available in English and German translation, around 9 longer and smaller works/books, he should be around the very top of my personal living favorites. I am absolutely flabbergasted realizing the diversity of topics covered by him (from his early deeply pessimistic (but also darkly funny) and universal parables strongly influenced by the downfall of the communist states to his reflective, contemplative and meditative later work influenced by Eastern culture, bringing both East and West together in his last long work Seiobo, where the wholeness and interrelation of nature, art and beauty are captured in a unique way), the metaphysical insights, his never ending playfulness in literary terms, his endless striving for the ultimate, all-encompassing sentence, his willingness to engage and collaborate with artists from different art forms like film (Bela Tarr's masterworks of film-making), theatre or painting (the truly unique project of Animalinside). I would never claim that his works are flawless, though. Nevertheless I am personally so much astonished about this artist. For me it is clear that he is one of the major writers working today. He is one of the few dozen writers, who combine writing, inventiveness, creativity and insight on a consistently sophisticated level, a writer, who at the same time is fully aware of the inherent limitations of words and human perception and understanding in general.

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
Thanks for sticking out your rump, Rumpy; will have to see if I can muster enough energy to meet this depressed Hungarian gnome in person...

Hamlet

Reader
I looked up this writer Rumpy, he's barely known in England, but the review did say he was big in Germany.

... those last few words remind me of a pop song!

Last edited:

Stevie B

Current Member
I was down in Florida at a conference a few weeks ago and stopped by a used bookstore adjacent to the hotel. It had a nice paperback copy of The Melancholy of Resistance for $8.00. I was ready to jump on the Krasznahorkai reading bandwagon so I scooped it up immediately. When I later checked the internet, it turned out my copy was actually the first British edition published by Quartet. The Advanced Book Exchange has one copy for sale and it is priced at more than $400! Amazon UK has its copy priced at 150 pounds. Since I'm now afraid to read my own collectible copy, I'll have to borrow one from the library. Perhaps I could start an ebay-style auction here at the WLF? I see one hand up in the air. It is Liam who is starting the bidding at $250!

Hamlet

Reader
If it's Liam, revise up by $50.

I looked at Amazon UK Stevie B after reading Rumpy's post, and missed that price!

I'll peak again--

Hamlet

Reader
New Directions are selling it now, for £8.00 or so, common as muck, alas.

Good find.

I sold a rare horror film book for a small fortune recently, I don't even collect horror film books, it just appealed at the time and the price sky-rocketed.

Stevie B

Current Member
Fortunately for me, the New Directions edition is not the "true first edition," since it was published in November of 2000, whereas the Quartet edition was published more than six months earlier. I'm curious, Hamlet, what was the book you sold and how much did it fetch?

Rumpelstilzchen

Former Member
I was down in Florida at a conference a few weeks ago and stopped by a used bookstore adjacent to the hotel. It had a nice paperback copy of The Melancholy of Resistance for $8.00. I was ready to jump on the Krasznahorkai reading bandwagon so I scooped it up immediately. When I later checked the internet, it turned out my copy was actually the first British edition published by Quartet. The Advanced Book Exchange has one copy for sale and it is priced at more than $400! Amazon UK has its copy priced at 150 pounds. Since I'm now afraid to read my own collectible copy, I'll have to borrow one from the library. Perhaps I could start an ebay-style auction here at the WLF? I see one hand up in the air. It is Liam who is starting the bidding at $250!

Damn you are a lucky guy :) do not tempt me, I tell you :eek:

Rumpelstilzchen

Former Member
I looked up this writer Rumpy, he's barely known in England, but the review did say he was big in Germany.

His English translator George Szirtes is British (his family fled Hungary when he was a child), a well known poet it seems. He is a reader in creative writing at the University of East Anglia. The UK edition of Satantango will come out in May this year, check it out. Ah, and I do not know where you live, but K. will come to London in fall, so that might be a chance to get introduced to his work.

Last edited:

Rumpelstilzchen

Former Member
I forgot to mention it, but the final book I read was the The Prisoner of Urga novel (in German translation, originally published in 1992). It leads K.'s work into a completely different direction from his early communist apocalypses, a kind of travelogue about his visit to China and Mongolia in 1990, a straightforward funny travelogue I should add (including musical scores of air conditioners and weird adventures in the streets of Beijing).

As far as I get it from other sources the book intensively plays with references to Dante Alighieri, where also the novel's epigraph is taken from. I have not read the Commedia myself yet, though... :(

Rumpelstilzchen

Former Member
Just finished From North a Hill, from South a Lake, from East a Road, from West a River (German translation by Christina Viragh).

And again a reading recommendation from my side, though the book might not be suited as a Krasznahorkai primer it is beautifully written nevertheless. You can find a review in English here, which also explains a bit what the book is actually about:
http://www.krasznahorkai.hu/reception_gyorfy.htm

The author: "I've been wanting to write a novel devoid of human characters for years. Now this is it".

Unabridged versions of the German and Spanish translation can be found here for free (don't ask me why, maybe those are preliminary/uncorrected versions? but on first glance I cannot see any difference to the book version):
German: http://www.krasznahorkai.hu/docs/eszakrol_hegy_de.pdf
Spanish: http://www.krasznahorkai.hu/docs/eszakrol_hegy_esp.pdf
I was just searching for the mentioned review of the From North A Hill book and could not find it anymore :( The link is not working anymore and I cannot find it anywhere else. Anyway, by accident I found a document that appears to be a complete English version of the novel translated by the Kertesz translator Tim Wilkinson (!!) it is stored on K's webserver without any direct link from the webpage, but it can be found via google... interesting... btw, the links to the German and Spanish versions are also still working...

www.krasznahorkai.hu/docs/eszakrol_hegy_eng.pdf

now I wonder why the English translation has not been published (yet?)...probably it is only a very preliminary unpolished version, so beware...

Last edited:

Liam

Administrator
An excellent recent review of Satantango in the LARB.

Since I loved the novel so much myself, I'm wondering if I should come up with my own "take" on it. I believe the book was in many ways prophetic, but then again, it addresses humanity's constant inability to make life better for itself and for others--something we're struggling with decade after decade, century after century.

So in a sense, K's observations are prophetic, as I said, and yet on some level also quite mundane (but not in any negative sense, more like: as astutely observed pieces of everyday reality, etc).

steinmann

I was just searching for the mentioned review of the From North A Hill book and could not find it anymore :( The link is not working anymore and I cannot find it anywhere else. Anyway, by accident I found a document that appears to be a complete English version of the novel translated by the Kertesz translator Tim Wilkinson (!!) it is stored on K's webserver without any direct link from the webpage, but it can be found via google... interesting... btw, the links to the German and Spanish versions are also still working...

www.krasznahorkai.hu/docs/eszakrol_hegy_eng.pdf

now I wonder why the English translation has not been published (yet?)...probably it is only a very preliminary unpolished version, so beware...

The document above would unfortunately appear to be an unauthorized translation, and as far as I can see, published online without permission or concern for the author's rights.