Latin American Boom

Benny Profane

Also, has anyone here read Mario Benedetti, Uruguayan author who can be classified as a member of Boom at least by his date of birth (born in 1920)? I liked his charming novel about growing up La borra del cafe. One of his novels was made into Oscar-nominated movie.
Yep, I've read two of his books: Gracias Por El Fuego [Thank You For the Fire] and La Tregua [The Truce].

Gracias Por El Fuego is a weird book narrated by stream of conciousness about a fierce man victmized by his country and La Tregua is a typical Nouveau Roman's book regarding a gentle man who depicts his passion on a young girl in his diaries.

Last edited:

SpaceCadet

Quiet Reader
I've read some short stories in his collection Blood Pact, and I recently bought a copy of Springtime in a Broken Mirror. That "novel" deals with the challenges of living in exile. I believe The Truth is Benedetti's best known book. It was adapted to the big screen in the mid-70s and is considered to be one of Argentina’s greatest films. Have you seen it?
Are you talking about 'The Truce' (La tregua)?
In any case, if anyone is interested, the movie can been watched here.

Verkhovensky

I believe The Truth is Benedetti's best known book. It was adapted to the big screen in the mid-70s and is considered to be one of Argentina’s greatest films. Have you seen it?
No, I haven't. There is a Croatian edition of that one too. Actually, a friend of mine (who works for the publisher) offered me either that book or that coming of age novel, and I choosed latter. She also gave me one Laura Restrepo and one Elena Poniatowska book, but I haven't read them yet.

Leseratte

I really need to read Isabel Allende, just to see why there are such strong opinions about her :ROFLMAO:

Also, has anyone here read Mario Benedetti, Uruguayan author who can be classified as a member of Boom at least by his date of birth (born in 1920)? I liked his charming novel about growing up La borra del cafe. One of his novels was made into Oscar-nominated movie.
I like him very much. I remember Primavera con la esquina rota (probably translated as Springtime in a Broken Mirror), La borra del café and some impressive short stories.

dc007777

I really need to read Isabel Allende, just to see why there are such strong opinions about her :ROFLMAO:

I read House of the Spirits in a Magic Realism seminar and the general consensus was she was Marquez-lite. She is more middle-of-the-road than terrible. Frankly, I don't think she's interesting enough to love OR hate.

Stevie B

Current Member
No, I haven't. There is a Croatian edition of that one too. Actually, a friend of mine (who works for the publisher) offered me either that book or that coming of age novel, and I choosed latter. She also gave me one Laura Restrepo and one Elena Poniatowska book, but I haven't read them yet.
I picked up a copy of Restrepo's Delrium at my town's annual book sale last year. When I went to read it, I found it had been inscribed by the author. This was an especially lucky find as books signed by Restrepo are quite uncommon. I recall from a cover blurb that Gabriel Garcia Marquez raved about the author.

TrixRabbi

To me these are the Big Six:
  • Gabriel García Márquez (Colombia; novels and short stories)
  • Mario Vargas Llosa (Peru; novels)
  • Isabel Allende (Chile; novels)
  • Jorge Amado (Brazil; novels)
  • Jorge Luis Borges (Argentina; short stories)
  • Pablo Neruda (Chile; poetry)
Is Clarice Lispector chopped liver?

Daniel del Real

Yep, I've read two of his books: Gracias Por El Fuego [Thank You For the Fire] and La Tregua [The Truce].

Gracias Por El Fuego is a weird book narrated by stream of conciousness about a fierce man victmized by his country and La Tregua is a typical Nouveau Roman's book regarding a gentle man who depicts his passion on a young girl in his diaries.
There's nothing Nouveau Roman like in La Tregua.

Benny Profane

There's nothing Nouveau Roman like in La Tregua.
I found a similarity between La Tregua to A Rainha dos Cáceres da Grécia by Osman Lins, for example.
I'd also like to add L'Emplois du Temps by Michel Butor and La Vida Breve by Juan Carlos Onetti (a frontier between Nouveau Roman tand Magic Realism).

These four books depicted common themes that are characteristics of Nouveau Roman: obsession with a specific happening or person, epistolary novel narrated by diaries (with the exception of Onetti's La Vida Breve) where fiction and reality are the same thing, book into another book, non-reliable narrator, guilty narrator by a happening out of scope of the narrator-character, etc.

Even Benedetti wasn't a Nouveu Roman's writer, he was strongly influenced by those experimentations.

Last edited:

kpjayan

Reader
Interestingly, the books I've read by Benedetti are poetry collections. Little Stones at my Window, which I liked, and an anthology edited by him as 'Unstill Life : An Introduction to Spanish poetry of Latin America'.

Leseratte

This references a saying in English, "What am I, chopped liver?" Traditionally, chopped liver was served as a side dish, not the main entree. So a person who is being treated like chopped liver is not being given adequate respect.
Thanks, Stevie!

Daniel del Real

I found a similarity between La Tregua to A Rainha dos Cáceres da Grécia by Osman Lins, for example.
I'd also like to add L'Emplois du Temps by Michel Butor and La Vida Breve by Juan Carlos Onetti (a frontier between Nouveau Roman to Magic Realism).

These four books depicted common themes that are characteristics of Nouveau Roman: obsession with a specific happening or person, epistolary novel narrated by diaries (with the exception of Onetti's La Vida Breve) where fiction and reality are the same thing, book into another book, non-reliable narrator, guilty narrator by a happening out of scope of the narrator-character, etc.

Even Benedetti wasn't a Nouveu Roman's writer, he was strongly influenced by those experimentations.
Noveau roman was mainly about style, the way the book was written. There's nothing like it in La Tregua, which presents no complexities at all for the reader. Common themes are just secondary and not decisive for classifying a novel as Nouveau Roman.
There's also nothing about this in Onetti's works, hard to say there is magic realism in his literature either. We need to distinguish between the fantastic component in literature and magical realism.

Benny Profane

Noveau roman was mainly about style, the way the book was written. There's nothing like it in La Tregua, which presents no complexities at all for the reader. Common themes are just secondary and not decisive for classifying a novel as Nouveau Roman.
There's also nothing about this in Onetti's works, hard to say there is magic realism in his literature either. We need to distinguish between the fantastic component in literature and magical realism.
Nouveau Roman isn't only about style but about the plot too. The basic premisse about NR is that the caracthers don't do anything about the situation whom they are, ie they can't change anything around and they are mere objects that are involved theirselves onto a complex web of happenings. It's a sequel to Absurdism but on a dreamlike perspective in which imagination confused with reality even when the characters aren't dreaming.
The happenings are unjustifiable and unfair in many aspects and there isn't such a good thing or a good end.
Because of those points of view, the characters confuse what is reality and fiction on a dreamlike perspective.

Duras, Sarraute, Blanchot, Butor, Grillet, Simon, Beckett, etc don't have the same style and don't approach the same subject in their works, but the impossibility and immutability of the plot in their books could be classified as a set of tragic events which became an unity of "irreality reality" (sorry about this oxymorous, guys).

Grillet, Blanchot and Butor, in their essays, claims about these perspectives I've explained above that the real motive of NR is to do a critic about post-war capitalism and the notion of progress.
--------------------------------------

All these books I've quoted above are epistolary novels (diaries) and depicted the same subjects: idealization and obsession with a minor theme which become a major theme on the following pages. By this aspect, they could be classified as Nouveau Roman as Peter Handke's some works are, for example.

----------------------------------------

About Onetti, yes! He did some pastiches on Magic Realism, Modernism, Regionalism of South America (the case of gaúchos in Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay), Surrealism and Nouveau Roman and, because of that, his works are sui generis (unique). Onetti's prose is close to Campos de Carvalho's prose, for example.

And about La Tregua, it could be dense if you want this. :)