Ben Jackson

Giovanni's Room and Another Country--- Baldwin
Written on the Body--- Winterson
The Rainbow--- Lawrence
The Hours--- Cunnigham
Mrs Dalloway--- Woolf
Under the Udala Tree--- Okparanta
Cities of the Plains (still to read in May/June)---Proust
The Goat or Who's Sylvia--- Albee (play)

These are the novels involving LGBT characters I have read. I still have so many novels from Puig, Juan Goytisolo, Nadas e.t.c

MichaelHW

D. H. Lawrence was of course one of these boundary pushers, and in Rhys Davies's strange autobiography Print of a Hare's Foot (in which he includes not only his own biography), he says that Lawrence told him that he'd made it possible for such people as Davies to speak far more freely about sexual matters. I doubt that Lawrence actually said this to Davies ? Davies is noted for twisting the truth in his autobiographical accounts, and this smacks of a retrospective observation ? but it's nevertheless true.

Davies is now perhaps best known in Lawrence studies as the person who smuggled Lawrence's Pansies, a book of erotic poems, from Lawrence's home in the south of France through the customs to England. As far as I know though, these were poems dealing with heterosexual sex, the representation of which Lawrence was noted for, particularly of course in Lady Chatterley's Lover.

Lawrence's Aaron's Rod and The Rainbow also contain homoerotic scenes; Lawrence's wife Frieda strongly suspected that her husband had had a relationship with a Cornish farmer; although Rhys never said in public that that he was gay, Lawrence knew very well that Davies was playing some very odd games with gender in The Withered Root; and Lawrence always seemed to surround himself by gay men. Nevertheless, Lawrence's attitude to homosexuality was ambivalent.
Isn't The Prussian officer" his best known lgbt text? It is quoted a lot?