Long List (20 Titles) for the German Bücherpreis 2023 (in German)

tiganeasca

Leseratte

I'd like to say that this list is interesting (the link actually takes you to the 20-title shortlist, despite the page title. The page does contain a link to the 172-title longlist if you're interested), but I have not heard of a single author on the list. Depressing.
Don't worry, Tiga. I don't know any one of the 20 long listed authors, neither does the User that posted it on the German literature forum. And up to now, no one else there. There are so many good new authors in the German speaking world, that it is impossible to catch up.

Cleanthess

Dinanukht wannabe
I also share that embarrassment. I've only read one book each from two of the authors on that list, Setz (L’Amour au temps de l’enfant de Mahlstadt, a book of mostly fantastic, surreal and strange short stories) and Mora (De rage et de douleur le monstre, which I didn't finish, despite the book being good).

A summary of a review by Nele Pollatschek of Clemens J. Setz listed novel, Monde vor der Landung, published at the eichendorff21 book site, says that Setz must be
" a really sucky author" to have written this novel. And yet, his new book is also "brilliant," since it combines all the familiar Setz' ingredients: oddballs, "eccentricity and existential loneliness, sex and goats", however, apparently, no sex with goats.

At first Pollatschek reads spellbound the story about Peter Bender, the real-life proponent of the Hollow World theory that posits that we humans live inside a hollow sphere. Nele fears continuously for Bender and his Jewish wife Charlotte's survival until the end of the novel.

And the ending is precisely where Pollatschek has a problem with the book. Until the end, she was delightedly reading about the hollow world, sex, money, and the cult of genius. Her enjoyment finally destroyed by the "Nazis" at the end, and having been seduced by Setz into the novel's indecent pleasures, Pollatschek felt like she needed to take a shower to "wash herself thoroughly."

Technically, the novel is certainly brilliant, but it is not right to have written such book, Pollatschek concludes.

Leseratte

I also share that embarrassment. I've only read one book each from two of the authors on that list, Setz (L’Amour au temps de l’enfant de Mahlstadt, a book of mostly fantastic, surreal and strange short stories) and Mora (De rage et de douleur le monstre, which I didn't finish, despite the book being good).

A summary of a review by Nele Pollatschek of Clemens J. Setz listed novel, Monde vor der Landung, published at the eichendorff21 book site, says that Setz must be
Thanks for this additional information, Cleanthess. Doesn´t read very enticing though.