Louise Glück (1943-2023)

Daniel del Real

How strange. During the pandemics no Nobel laureate died. Last one had been Toni Morrison in 2019.
This year, Ōe and Glück have passed.

More strange if you consider that, from 2012 to 2019, at least one Nobel winner died each year.
Last time we had three years without any decease was the period from 1999-2001.

Bartleby

I'm in shock and terribly sad. She was probably my favourite poet (alive or dead) — followed closely by Dylan, which speaks volumes about her greatness. I have come out of the cinema and saw this news, passed on by Benny (don't worry, my friend, no shooting the messenger)... I'm still processing this... May she rest in peace ?️

-----------

From The Garden, in Descending Figure (1980):

The Fear of Burial

In the empty field, in the morning,
the body waits to be claimed.
The spirit sits beside it, on a small rock—
nothing comes to give it form again.

Think of the body’s loneliness.
At night pacing the sheared field,
its shadow buckled tightly around.
Such a long journey.
And already the remote, trembling lights of the village

not pausing for it as they scan the rows.
How far away they seem,
the wooden doors, the bread and milk
laid like weights on the table.

hayden

Sad news. Wasn't expecting that at all.

I spent some time this summer re-reading her 1962-2012 collection (first time since she won the Nobel) along with her recent volume
Winter Recipes from the Collective.I've yet to get around to her new short fiction Marigold and Rose, but I'll more it up on my priority list. Was interested in reading her dabble in fiction.

Very glad her poetry reached the success it did, and I hope it continues to reach audiences for quite some time.

RIP :(

Johnny

She isn´t my favorite poet either, but what I mean is as she was destined to get the prize it was good it came at a moment when she still could enjoy it. I didn´t know she was that old and that ill.
I agree, I thought for some reason she was much younger. Morose Mary refers to her as the poet of October, how apt that seems now. In the year she won I believe, based on checked out books, we thought it was between her, Simic, Mayrocker and Carson. Sadly 3 of them have now passed on. ?

Leseratte

I'm in shock and terribly sad. She was probably my favourite poet (alive or dead) — followed closely by Dylan, which speaks volumes about her greatness. I have come out of the cinema and saw this news, passed on by Benny (don't worry, my friend, no shooting the messenger)... I'm still processing this... May she rest in peace ?️

-----------

From The Garden, in Descending Figure (1980):

The Fear of Burial

In the empty field, in the morning,
the body waits to be claimed.
The spirit sits beside it, on a small rock—
nothing comes to give it form again.

Think of the body’s loneliness.
At night pacing the sheared field,
its shadow buckled tightly around.
Such a long journey.
And already the remote, trembling lights of the village

not pausing for it as they scan the rows.
How far away they seem,
the wooden doors, the bread and milk
laid like weights on the table.
Just stole this poem for Glücks obituary in another forum. Couldn´t find any other poem by her that conveyed so intimately the feeling of being dead.