Margaret Drabble

Bubba

Reader
So, Margaret Drabble is a name most readers in the English-speaking world are probably vaguely familiar with. More are likely to know her more famous sister, A. S. Byatt.

Odd the way literary fame works, because it seems to me that it is Drabble, not Byatt, who would appeal to the far wider range of readers. Byatt's books, of course, will always appeal to a small set of readers (though they are pitched to the larger reading public), but I think the greater warmth, the wit, the erudition worn more lightly, the better characterization and plotting, and the sheer readability of her sister Margaret's books (from the earliest, such as The Millstone, to about The Witch of Exmoor) make her the superior novelist.

Drabble grows older with her books, by which I mean that her early books, such as the short and excellent The Millstone, are narrated by a young woman, whereas later books, such as the long and very satisfying The Radiant Way, revolve around people in early middle age. Drabble excels in depicting parties and social gatherings of all sorts; also excellent are her portrayals of the connections her characters sometimes make with each other, despite the largely indifferent world around them.

A month ago or so there was a feature on Drabble in the Sunday magazine of the New York Times. The article, though clearly written by a fan of Drabble's work, made her seem too much like a writer who would appeal only to women. I think she is one of the rare women whose books may be as appealing to men as they are to women. In short, Drabble isn't, as some readers might think, just some boring old English lady to be dismissed (though I have been disappointed by her most recent novels) in favor of something newer or shinier or more exotic.

Eric

Former Member
Most ironic, Bubba. If you had looked at the reviews in the newspapers about 25-30 years ago, everyone had heard of the popular Margaret "Maggie" Drabble was on reading lists, whilst A.S. Byatt was relatively unknown. But things have changed. Nowadays Byatt is a revered author, and her daughter is an important figure in the Arts Council of England. Drabble still features, but is no longer in the lead in the rivalry of sisters, I feel. I read "The Millstone" about thirty years ago, but it did not leave an enormous impression on me.

Methinks the comment "Drabble isn't, as some readers might think, just some boring old English lady to be dismissed" may not endear you to all British readers, although I understand that you mean she is a lady of older years, whose characters have followed her, age-wise.

Good try, Bubba, but maybe you will have to use subtler tactics to revamp Drabble's image for young readers.

ministerpumpkin

Wish I'd seen this earlier, Ben!

Jerusalem the Golden (1967)
This is a good toe-dipping novel for Drabble. Kazuo Ishiguro mentioned it in his lengthy Paris Review interview as something of a revelation in his formative years as a writer: "By this time I'd begun reading the big nineteenth-century novels, so it came as an absolute revelation to me that the same techniques could be applied to tell a story of modern life. You didn't have to write about Raskolnikov murdering an old lady, or the Napoleonic Wars. You could just write a novel about hanging around."

By the way, if anyone out there would like to read Ishiguro's interview without worrying about a paywall, here you go: https://archive.ph/20130415224732/h...5829/the-art-of-fiction-no-196-kazuo-ishiguro

The Waterfall (1969)
This one's a little more demanding and seems to be her attempt at writing a Big Novel™. I liked it a great deal, though at times I found it somewhat emotionally exhausting.

The Common Reader

Wish I'd seen this earlier, Ben!

Jerusalem the Golden (1967)
This is a good toe-dipping novel for Drabble. Kazuo Ishiguro mentioned it in his lengthy Paris Review interview as something of a revelation in his formative years as a writer: "By this time I'd begun reading the big nineteenth-century novels, so it came as an absolute revelation to me that the same techniques could be applied to tell a story of modern life. You didn't have to write about Raskolnikov murdering an old lady, or the Napoleonic Wars. You could just write a novel about hanging around."

By the way, if anyone out there would like to read Ishiguro's interview without worrying about a paywall, here you go: https://archive.ph/20130415224732/h...5829/the-art-of-fiction-no-196-kazuo-ishiguro

The Waterfall (1969)
This one's a little more demanding and seems to be her attempt at writing a Big Novel™. I liked it a great deal, though at times I found it somewhat emotionally exhausting.
This is what Joyce Carol Oates (writing in the early 1970's) had to say about Margaret Drabble: Our yearning for meaningful novels, for novels that will truly change us for the better, is so constantly thwarted that when we come upon the work of a contemporary who has written such a work our first reaction is astonishment. It is something we no longer expect. We have lost faith in many of our imaginative writers; we have begun to look elsewhere for the experiences that only the novel--when it is at its best--can really give us.
I love The Millstone, and I remember reading it practically in one sitting.