Michel Houellebecq

redhead

Blahblahblah
As a fellow smoker and drinker, I view the idea of living a life absent of drugs or drink as tragic. And while one could argue smoking and drinking in moderation is an option, from my viewpoint that sounds like quite a bore. Then again, perhaps I'm an idiot. Regardless, I think it's short order that I read a book from Houellebecq! ?

We’re on a literary forum, I’m sure we all have drinking problems and/or some other similar vice ?

Bartleby

his next novel, to be released on 7 Jan 22, and whose title will only be revealed by the end of Dec, will consist of 736 freaking pages! :O

Tony W

I really enjoyed Submission and Elementary Particles. His voice is different and represents a voice that is uncommon in literary circles.

Last edited:
his next novel, to be released on 7 Jan 22, and whose title will only be revealed by the end of Dec, will consist of 736 freaking pages! :O

IT'S TEH MAGNUM OPUS!!1!!!1!!

Meaning of life, WILD EXPERIMENTATION, a colour photo insert, the best boeuf bourguignon recipe ever, the key to the happiness of all its fortunate readers, WILD SEX, a capsule manual on how to invest in NFTs, a female character who isn't a cardboard cutout, WILD PAGECOUNT, the works.

This is everything.

Bow down to The Master.

Last edited:
Mick H. himself takes his new roman very seriously - he insisted that it was released as a lavish hardcover meant to last FOREVER, instead of the toilet paper used by the little people.

Ludus

Reader
Mick H. himself takes his new roman very seriously - he insisted that it was released as a lavish hardcover meant to last FOREVER, instead of the toilet paper used by the little people.

His ass must be very clean.

Liam

Administrator
Have you seen Houellebecq? Dude doesn't look clean under any aspect. It looks like he smells of greasy hair and cigarettes
Seriously, I don't judge people based on their appearance, but if I walked by him on the street I would think he was a homeless person, ?

Have you seen Houellebecq? Dude doesn't look clean under any aspect. It looks like he smells of greasy hair and cigarettes

Maybe he's aping Céline in his "unkempt" mode at Meudon. Others have suggested this explanation before IIRC.

nagisa

Spiky member
Maybe he's aping Céline in his "unkempt" mode at Meudon. Others have suggested this explanation before IIRC.
I have absolutely no doubt that it's (at least in part) an affectation. The man knows how to market himself, down to the detail (in your profile pic!) of him smoking his cigarettes with the middle and ring finger. (I remember reading somewhere that he does that because of a broken finger, but I can't find it at the moment. Either way, he's made it his.)

The man knows how to market himself, down to the detail (in your profile pic!) of him smoking his cigarettes with the middle and ring finger. (I remember reading somewhere that he does that because of a broken finger, but I can't find it at the moment. Either way, he's made it his.)

Mick H. holds his cigarettes like a film nazi, of the kind Jim Jarmusch described 25 years ago in this improvised ramble from Blue in the Face:

Last edited:
curious to know what it's about...

Same.

When I first heard about the page count, I feared that Mick H. had put together some boring ass historical novel, like a fictionalised biography of Auguste Comte, or something of that sort about one of his arcane obsessions, but then I heard about the title and I was all

giphy.gif

Now seriously, some people who read the leaked files have already put up their takes online (Babelio if you must know) and even though they're all full or praise, what they give away of the characters and plot doesn't really sound all that interesting. It appears to be more of the same, which was predictable but still a bit disappointing after the size of the book led us to think that at least this one might be a tad different.

Last edited:

Bartleby

Emmanuel Macron is ending his second term after reviving the French economy following his re-election in 2022. A forever frustrated Marine Le Pen has handed the reins of the National Rally to a younger successor and Éric Zemmour, the anti-Islam polemicist who failed to win, is still stirring up anger.

This scene from 2027 has been imagined by Michel Houellebecq, France’s star author, in his latest novel, a 730-page blockbuster launched in the middle of the campaign for the presidential election in April next year. Anéantir (Destroy), the eighth novel by the prophet of solitude and dereliction, was revealed today after speculation that it could colour the political scene as one of his previous books, Submission, did in 2015.

I believe there’s more in this article but it’s under a paywall...