Mircea Cărtărescu

Stevie B

Current Member
Just read some his interviews. It seems, he is real egomaniac. Just laughable self-praises. I know, it's not important, if his books are good, but still... I'm afraid to think about his reaction to Nobel.
I often have a difficult time separating the person from the author. Extreme arrogance, in particular, is the kind of thing that could put me off from reading someone. On the other hand, the humility of Penelope Fitzgerald only served to make her more endearing.

Daniel del Real

Just read some his interviews. It seems, he is real egomaniac. Just laughable self-praises. I know, it's not important, if his books are good, but still... I'm afraid to think about his reaction to Nobel.
I've attended to a few of his presentations and public appearances and I have the complete opposite impression about him. Someone who only cares about books and literature and not the paraphernalia or the glamour it might come with it.

Leseratte

I often have a difficult time separating the person from the author. Extreme arrogance, in particular, is the kind of thing that could put me off from reading someone. On the other hand, the humility of Penelope Fitzgerald only served to make her more endearing.
I sometimes have this difficulty too. One tends to idealize authors on likes.

Stevie B

Current Member
I sometimes have this difficulty too. One tends to idealize authors on likes.
Tim O'Brien is an author that comes to mind here. When I was a college student, he was my favorite author. Then I heard multiple stories about how he took advantage of his celebrity to have sexual relationships with his writing students. I haven't read him since.

alik-vit

Reader
I've attended to a few of his presentations and public appearances and I have the complete opposite impression about him. Someone who only cares about books and literature and not the paraphernalia or the glamour it might come with it.
It's interesting! Because his interviews are really horrible.