Multiple quotes from the same post?

Stiffelio

Reader
How do I go about multiple quoting (or fragmentary quoting, e.g. separate paragraphs or sentences) from a single post? I notice people do this all the time but I haven't been able to figure it out. Clicking several times on the quotation mark icon (") only works when quoting from different posts, but not from within the same post.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

lenz

Reader
Copy the words you want to quote, click qr or post reply, on reply box, click little yellow quote (speech bubble) icon. Two Quote brackets will appear. Place cursor between the brackets and paste your copied quote.
How do I go about multiple quoting
Repeat as desired. Your quotes will appear in boxes when your post is submitted. Good luck.

Last edited:

Stiffelio

Reader
Copy the words you want to quote, click qr or post reply, on reply box, click little yellow quote (speech bubble) icon. Two Quote brackets will appear. Place cursor between the brackets and paste your copied quote. Repeat as desired. Your quotes will appear in boxes when your post is submitted. Good luck.

Thank you, Lenz. That's good enough for me, but the resulting quote boxes appear anonymous, without the "Originally posted by....." link, except for maybe the first quote box if I use the usual quotation procedure and then follow your steps for the second quote and so on.

Some people manage to get the original poster's link each time they quote a box.

For instance, check what Liam does in msg # 97 below:

http://www.worldliteratureforum.com/forum/americas-literature/26641-cormac-mccarthy-road-5.html

Here goes; when you first quote a post, you'll see the forum automatically formats the quote like this (I'm using normal brackets so the html shows):

(QUOTE=Refus de Sejour;60100)blah blah blah(/QUOTE)

or done with square brackets:

blah blah blah

The important part for linking back to the original post is the ";60100". That's the "id" for that post. Every time you format a quote yourself, just type (or paste) in the user name and id and the quote will link back to it.

I find it easier just to type in html instead of using the buttons. It's just a matter of looking at what the auto formatting is doing and then repeating it.