Murakami Haruki: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

A rather ordinary young man lives quietly with his wife for six years. He has left his job and is irresolute about what he wants to do with himself. Their cat disappears.

That is the opening of the wind-up bird story. The bird is never seen, but its voice is heard, a creaking sound like a spring, winding up the world. Okada?s world unwinds as he seeks the cat and, eventually, his wife. Many people tell him their stories: two sisters with clairvoyant powers, the elderly lieutenant who remembers events in Manchukuo and Siberia, Nutmeg whose husband was mysteriously murdered. Some are evil: Boris the manskinner, Okada?s brother-in-law. Some do violence in the service of evil. We find layers on linked stories and events. Murakami begins at the beginning with the disappearance of the cat and he ends with a resolution 600 pages later, but the telling is far from direct. The stories his characters tell are like the arias in an opera. They take the stage, they sing their song, we feel their emotions.

This may sound disjointed and remote, but that is my weakness in summarizing, not Murakami?s weakness. His writing is sure and strong as he brings he characters to life. They are not creatures of impulse, but struggle to understand where they are and what is happening. One of the persistent themes of the book is our need to find out who we are and what controls out destiny. As the lieutenant reports:

I was able to descend directly into a place that might be called the very core of my own consciousness. In any case, I saw the shape of something there. Just imagine: Everything around me is bathed in light. I am in the very center of a flood of light. My eyes can see nothing?. But something begins to appear there. In the midst of my momentary blindness, something is trying to take shape. Some thing. Some thing that possesses life. Like the shadow in a solar eclipse, it begins to merge, black in the light. But I can never quite make out its form.

Okada and the other are looking for the form, the inner thing that makes us who we are.

I found this a powerful book, but very difficult to explain.

Mirabell

Former Member
once I found out that the english translation is an abbreviation of the japanese edition, it sort of lost its appeal for me. I'm waiting for a heroic full translation. ;)

once I found out that the english translation is an abbreviation of the japanese edition, it sort of lost its appeal for me. I'm waiting for a heroic full translation. ;)

I have the Jay Rubin translation, Vintage Books, 1998. If this abridged? Nowhere does it say so.

Gosh, that's rather put me off. And I have this at home too.

Still, good to hear from SilverSeason that what is there is as good as I expected it to be from his other work.

If a translation is abridged, that really should be made clear. All too often it's not though I fear.

From Wikipedia:
The English translation of the novel was written by Jay Rubin.
It must also be noted that in addition to very notable differences between the Japanese and English versions, there are also differences between the original Japanese hardcover and paperback editions.
Further differences exist between the American and British editions, but these are much more superficial.
It is interesting to note that in the original text, the main characters' names all appear in katakana rather than kanji. This is a powerful choice on the part of the author, and conveys a message that is not able to cross over into other language translations.[citation needed] It was probably done for a similar reason as to why we are never given a clear physical description of Toru.

Earlier, the article states that two chapters were omitted and two were put into a different order, so this doesn't sound like a major abridgement. You may or may not like books of so-called magical realism. It can wear on me after a while. I enjoyed Midnight's Children until Rushdie got started with Indira Gandhi and her frying pan. I enjoyed The House of the Spirits but think some of Allende's later books are repetitious.

It's a delicate balance, placing unexpected or unexplained events in an otherwise real world. For me, this can serve as a metaphor for our lives, which are also expected and unexplained. I think Murakami's skill at playing with certain themes is impressive: the meaning of water, the meaning of cats (!), going deep into a dark and silent place to find oneself, becoming an island.

Go ahead and read the book. You may have to wait years for those two missing chapters.

Daniel del Real

I read it in spanish and it is an amazing book, probable the best murakami's along with Kafka on the Shore. Fortunately we have the complete edition. I don't know if Mirabell has read any of the two titles mentioned in this note. Maybe you should try because these are the books on which you might have a better look and understanding of Murakami's works

Kingbee

Reader
The most amazing book I've read for years. So many different twists and turns- although at the same time, they're not really twists and turns. Everything just seems so.. apt when Murakami writes. I've never read his stuff before and picked up this one purely because I heard about the history references.

So many ties left undone- but that's what he wants, I assume.

Who was the woman on the phone?
What happens to Creta Kano?
Does he really kill Noboru Wataya?
What are Noboru Wataya's real powers?
What does the mark on his face symbolise?
What is the symbolism of May Kasahara?

He writes seemingly mundane activities, but makes them poetic almost effortlessly and the casual tone of his writing I love too.

It really makes me want to read more. My girlfriend says I should read Norwegian Wood, but I'm not too sure.

Daniel del Real

It really makes me want to read more. My girlfriend says I should read Norwegian Wood, but I'm not too sure.

Nah, if you liked the ups and downs or The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle don't go there yet. Kafka on the Shore is a better follow up, it's a more similar book than Norwegian Wood.

learna

Reader
I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle some years ago, so my impression is not vivid. But, no doubt, Murakami has his own style. I'm not sure that I'll read Kafka on the Shore, maybe my selection'll be Norwegian Wood.

dolgoff

I just finished TWBC and, like most of his other work, it was quite brilliant. Unfortunately I ended up reading it in spurts over about 2 months, instead of steadily getting through a book of this length in under a month, so I fear that I might have lost some of the texture of the book just from not reading it for such long stretches of time. Still though, it was a remarkably thought-provoking read and I feel like I only scratched the surface of a book that is as deep as a well. (Sorry for the contrived and clich?d metaphor, but wells are kinda a big deal in TWBC)
For anyone looking for another Murakami book to read, allow me to humbly suggest Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. It is a great book with two seemingly unrelated storylines, much like Kafka on the Shore, that slowly become intertwined. A bit more "action" driven then some of his other books, but no less complicated. But really when in comes to Murakami, everything, or at least everything I've read, is pretty amazing stuff.

Daniel del Real

For anyone looking for another Murakami book to read, allow me to humbly suggest Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. It is a great book with two seemingly unrelated storylines, much like Kafka on the Shore, that slowly become intertwined. A bit more "action" driven then some of his other books, but no less complicated. But really when in comes to Murakami, everything, or at least everything I've read, is pretty amazing stuff.

This is my next Murakami, I already bought it. I was going to read it in English but Spanish translation came out 3 months ago.

accidie

Reader
Golly. Am I really the only one here who wishes that many many more chapters had been omitted from the English translation?

Liam

Administrator
Having recently given up on 1Q84, somebody whose opinion I respect recommended The Chronicle as the BEST intro to Murakami. Now I'm having second thoughts.

Caodang

Reader
To me, "The Wind-up Bird Chronicle" is no doubt Murakami's best work. After so much hype going around "1Q84", I was sort of disappointed just after having read Volume 1.