My Nobel Report Card

Hamishe22

So, last year, while waiting for the SA to announce the new Novel laureate, I decided to read at least one work from every Novel laureate. With some exceptions I have only been reading Nobel laureates this past year. (Although I have been reading more than one book from many of them). I haven't made a lot of progress! Anyway, I thought that maybe people would be interested in my experience. Feel free to disagree or agree or react in any way, and also please offer any advice.

Note: I've been reading writers in a random way, in order to have some variety. But I will write them in the chronological order here.

José Echegaray: I read The Great Galeoto. Seemed to me to be too moralistic and melodramatic for my taste. I definitely would have awarded Ibsen over him.

Henryk Sienkiewicz: Finished reading With Fire and Sword and now I'm reading The Deluge. His work is definitely very entertaining, but I don't think he'd have any chance of winning the Nobel in our current era. His work seems too close to popular literature, especially considering its romances that are very cliche.

Rudyard Kipling: Read most of his prose plus a selection of poetry. Definitely a master of prose and poetry, but subjectively speaking, I didn't like him. I don't think that the artistic merit is enough to make swallowing the reactionary politics worth it.

Rabindranath Tagore: read one selection of short stories and one selection of short poems. I loved the poems of his that describe nature. Very intriguing and nuanced, being both environmentalist yet not ignoring the harsher face of the nature.

Knut Hamsun: Read The Growth of the Soil. Very beautiful descriptions and atmospheric, but I didn't love it. The characters were too simple and the story was too boring and again, while I try my best not to judge books ideologically, the story simply wasn't interesting or thought provoking or complicated enough to stave off the annoyance at the anti-modernity message.

George Bernard Shaw: read too many plays to list. Honestly, despite having an MA in English literature, I had somehow never read this iconic figure. I loved him so much! So funny in his funny plays, so ahead of his time, and such great characters. I loved how suitable for reading they were and made reading the stage directions to be fun. My favorite is Saint Joan.

Thomas Mann: Read Buddenbrooks, The Magic Mountain, and Death in Venice. Three absolute masterpieces. One of my favorites now. Reminds me of George Eliot in the first, which is the highest possible compliment I can give to a writer.

Sinclair Lewis: Read Babbitt. An excellent satire. Sadly, I don't think writers liken this win Nobel anymore.

Roger Martin du Gard: Bit of a trivia for you first: while it seems that he is mostly forgotten in the English speaking circles, du Gard's Les Thibault is one of the most popular and widely read novels in my country, Iran. Well I have to agree with my compatriots! I really enjoyed reading it. Really loved the family dynamics with an abusive father. The seventh book is a major slog though, filled with reams of unnecessary political debates.

Mikhail Sholokhov: another forgotten writer who's very popular in Iran. Read his Don novel. I expected this to be USSR propaganda but it really wasn't. Now I have no idea why he was Stalin's favorite writer. I loved the sense of epic and history, how he captures the essence of the community. But I thought the characters were too simplistic and this stops it from being a masterpiece.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn: Read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, The First Circle, Cancer Ward, and The Gulag Archipelago. The most horrifying non-horror writer. Obviously conveys the horrors of Stalin's repression very effectively, but to me what elevates him to true greatness is how complicated and polyphonic his portrayal of people in these situations are, from dissidents to victims to oppressors and most interestingly, reluctant collaborators.

Patrick White: Read Voss and The Eye of the Storm. Another instant favorite writer. Voss is just a transcendental and moving masterpiece that I can mostly describe like I'm describing music. The latter novel is one of the most compelling portrayals of abuse.

William Golding: Read The Lord of the Flies and The Spire. Both masterpieces. Especially loved the very unique portrayal of religiously fueled obsession in the latter novel.

José Saramago: OK, this is going to be the controversial one. I read The Blindness and I absolutely hated it. A simplistic and nonsensical and whiny novel, reminding me of Adam McKay films, basically a "we live in a society" meme in the novel form. Am I crazy? Either way, one day I'll read his other novels, hopefully I'll like them more.

Patrick Modiano: Read The Occupation trilogy. I can't deny that the novels are narratively clever and impressive and very daring and honest in how they unflinchingly treat their subject matters which are incredibly sensitive and (one imagines) personally resonant for the author. But I honestly don't know what the whole thing is supposed to add up to. At the end of the first and the third novels, I can't help asking 'so what', and while reading them and understanding what is going on can be very difficult, but I'm not sure that overcoming the difficulty is worth the effort, the way a Joyce or a Llosa might be. To me, in the end, there is no deep insight or complex characters, more techniques and less substance. I can't say these novels are bad or flawed. More, they're just not great. Like a passable science fiction or mystery, only the genre cliche it's adhering to in a competent but ultimately unimpressive way is Nobel bait.

Writers I still haven't read (please recommend what to read from them if you'd like): Sully Prudhomme, Theodor Mommsen, Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson, Frédéric Mistral, Giosuè Carducci, Rudolf Christoph Eucken, Selma Lagerlöf, Paul von Heyse, Gerhart Hauptmann, Romain Rolland, Verner von Heidenstam, Karl Adolph Gjellerup, Henrik Pontoppidan, Carl Spitteler, Anatole France, Jacinto Benavente, Władysław Reymont, Grazia Deledda, Henri Bergson, Sigrid Undset, Erik Axel Karlfeldt, John Galsworthy, Frans Eemil Sillanpää, Johannes Vilhelm Jensen, Gabriela Mistral, Pär Lagerkvist, François Mauriac, Winston Churchill, Halldór Laxness, Juan Ramón Jiménez, Boris Pasternak, Salvatore Quasimodo, Saint-John Perse, Ivo Andrić, Shmuel Yosef Agnon, Nelly Sachs, Miguel Ángel Asturias, Eyvind Johnson, Harry Martinson, Eugenio Montale, Vicente Aleixandre, Isaac Bashevis Singer, Odysseas Elytis, Elias Canetti, Jaroslav Seifert, Claude Simon, Wole Soyinka, Joseph Brodsky, Camilo José Cela, Octavio Paz, Nadine Gordimer, Derek Walcott, Wisława Szymborska, Dario Fo, Gao Xingjian, Vidiadhar Surajprasad Naipaul, Imre Kertész, John Maxwell Coetzee, Elfriede Jelinek, Jean-Marie Gustave Le Clézio, Tomas Tranströmer, Peter Handke, Abdulrazak Gurnah

Every writer not mentioned, I had already read before starting this project.

Thanks for reading this long post! See you next year?

kpjayan

Reader
^ I liked 'Blindness', but I get it. All his books, which are these 'expansion of an idea/theme' are all has the same issue. Blindness, Seeing, Death at Interval, Double etc. And I think, his other works are far superior to these.

meepmurp

I really love this project. For the past several years, I've done something somewhat similar where I try to read the complete works in chronological order of the laureate announced and see how far I get. This year I made as far as Annie Ernaux's "The Happening."

I feel like, based on what you've read and liked, I should recommend "Lucky Per" by Henrik Pontoppidan and "Independent People" by Halldor Laxness.

Hamishe22

I really love this project. For the past several years, I've done something somewhat similar where I try to read the complete works in chronological order of the laureate announced and see how far I get. This year I made as far as Annie Ernaux's "The Happening."

I feel like, based on what you've read and liked, I should recommend "Lucky Per" by Henrik Pontoppidan and "Independent People" by Halldor Laxness.
Thank you! I'll read after I'm done with Sienkiewicz.

Liam

Administrator
^If you haven't read Sillanpää yet, I highly recommend People in the Summer Night. It used to be available online through a university website at one point, not sure if it still is, ?

Ben Jackson

This thread is very similar to Recommend Nobel reads. But still I will recommend some writers, especially the poets and winners from post-war period till the present (the winners before Johannes V Jensen, I have already listed in that thread). Most of my reading list for the past few years has been Nobel-inclined.

Camilo Jose Cela: very experimental and bleak writer, recommend The Hive or Paschal Duarte.
Elias Canetti: very under-rated, recommend his memoirs trilogy of memoirs or his aphorisms.
Wole Soyinka: very demanding writer, recommend Ake, Death and King's Horseman, Lion and the Jewel as starting points.
Gurnah: very accessible writer, recommend Desertion or Afterlives.
Coetzee: Life and Times of Michael K or Scenes of Provincial Life.
Odysseus Elytis: very complex writer, either you try his Collected Poems, on the essays about Elytis poetics Meditterean Modernisms (can't remember who wrote it). The essay explains complexity of Elytis work. For individual volumes, try Axion-Esti or Monogram.
Tomas Transtromer--- Collected Poems, brilliant poet writing about psychology and music.
Derek Walcott--- intense poet, Collected Poems 1948---2010 or for individual volumes Star-Apple Kingdom or Arkansas Testament. These before you start Omeros.
Pasternak: Collected Poems or Doctor Zhivago. Great poet.
Lagerkvist: Barrabas
Quasimodo: Collected Poems or you try Selected writings.
Juan Ramon Jimenez: Selected Poems
Winston Churchill: My Early Life
Saint John Perse: Collected Poems, for individual volumes, Seamarks or Exile.
Nelly Sachs: Flights and Metamorphosis
Eugenie Montale: Collected Poems 1920--1954, for individual volumes, Bones of Cuttlefish or Storm, e.t.c
Vincent Aleixandre--- Selected Poems
Jaroslav Seifert--- Collected Poetry
Joseph Brodsky--- Collected Poems in English, or individual volumes A Part of Speech or To Urania. Essays, try Less than One.
Octavio Paz--- I recommend his books in the Nobel Speculation thread, so I'll pass. Along with Nadine Gordimer.
Claude Simon--- The Trolley
Xingjiang-- Soul Mountain, Aesthetics and Creation.
Kertesz: Fatelesness.
Handke: A Sorrow Beyond Dreams, Afternoon of a Writer
Harry Martinson: Chickweeed and Other Poems
Le Clezio: Onitsha

Hamishe22

This thread is very similar to Recommend Nobel reads. But still I will recommend some writers, especially the poets and winners from post-war period till the present (the winners before Johannes V Jensen, I have already listed in that thread). Most of my reading list for the past few years has been Nobel-inclined.

Camilo Jose Cela: very experimental and bleak writer, recommend The Hive or Paschal Duarte.
Elias Canetti: very under-rated, recommend his memoirs trilogy of memoirs or his aphorisms.
Wole Soyinka: very demanding writer, recommend Ake, Death and King's Horseman, Lion and the Jewel as starting points.
Gurnah: very accessible writer, recommend Desertion or Afterlives.
Coetzee: Life and Times of Michael K or Scenes of Provincial Life.
Odysseus Elytis: very complex writer, either you try his Collected Poems, on the essays about Elytis poetics Meditterean Modernisms (can't remember who wrote it). The essay explains complexity of Elytis work. For individual volumes, try Axion-Esti or Monogram.
Tomas Transtromer--- Collected Poems, brilliant poet writing about psychology and music.
Derek Walcott--- intense poet, Collected Poems 1948---2010 or for individual volumes Star-Apple Kingdom or Arkansas Testament. These before you start Omeros.
Pasternak: Collected Poems or Doctor Zhivago. Great poet.
Lagerkvist: Barrabas
Quasimodo: Collected Poems or you try Selected writings.
Juan Ramon Jimenez: Selected Poems
Winston Churchill: My Early Life
Saint John Perse: Collected Poems, for individual volumes, Seamarks or Exile.
Nelly Sachs: Flights and Metamorphosis
Eugenie Montale: Collected Poems 1920--1954, for individual volumes, Bones of Cuttlefish or Storm, e.t.c
Vincent Aleixandre--- Selected Poems
Jaroslav Seifert--- Collected Poetry
Joseph Brodsky--- Collected Poems in English, or individual volumes A Part of Speech or To Urania. Essays, try Less than One.
Octavio Paz--- I recommend his books in the Nobel Speculation thread, so I'll pass. Along with Nadine Gordimer.
Claude Simon--- The Trolley
Xingjiang-- Soul Mountain, Aesthetics and Creation.
Kertesz: Fatelesness.
Handke: A Sorrow Beyond Dreams, Afternoon of a Writer
Harry Martinson: Chickweeed and Other Poems
Le Clezio: Onitsha
Thanks a lot! I'll check that thread too