New Sincerity

Benny Profane

I've decided to start this thread because there aren't any mentions here to this decentralized movement.
Alongside with Nouveau Roman in France, New Sincerity, also known as Post-Postmodernism" was an another movement of Literature which focused in autobiography and autoethnography in a experimental overview.
It was occurred, principally, in 80's and 90's.

The principal influence for this movement was Raymond Carver.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Sincerity

Key names:

- USA: David Foster Wallace, Bret Easton Ellis, Jonathan Franzen, Michael Chabon, Evan Dara, Dave Eggers, etc;
- Europe and Russia: Zadie Smith, Tom McCarthy, Karl Ove Knausgård, Will Self, Colum McCann, Victor Pelevin, Vladmir Sorokin, etc;
- Brazil: João Carrascoza, João Gilberto Noll, Manoel Karam, Daniel Pellizzari, Daniel Galera, João Antônio, etc .

Last edited:

Ben Jackson

I've decided to start this thread because there aren't any mentions here to this decentralized movement.
Alongside with Nouveau Roman in France, New Sincerity, also known as Post-Postmodernism" was an another movement of Literature which focused in autobiography and autoethnography in a experimental overview.
It was occurred, principally, in 80's and 90's

Key names:

- USA: David Foster Wallace, Bret Easton Ellis, Jonathan Franzen, Michael Chabon, Evan Dara, Dave Eggers, etc;
- Europe and Russia: Zadie Smith, Tom McCarthy, Karl Ove Knausgård, Will Self, Colum McCann, Victor Pelevin, Vladmir Sorokin, etc;
- Brazil: João Carrascoza, João Gilberto Noll, Manoel Karam, Daniel Pellizzari, Daniel Galera, João Antônio, etc .

Very interesting.

I haven't heard of this movement, but based on the description, you can add Ernaux, Edouard Louis and Carole Maso in the mix as well. Thanks Benny for the thread.

nagisa

Spiky member
Not that I don't think the label has some merit and transnational identifiable traits — breaking away from irony and cynicism — but some of these don't belong in my mind. Bret Easton Ellis is drenched in cynicism; Sorokin does speculative fiction; Ernaux is too early. If I understand correctly, this is about reclaiming or veering away from "postmodernity"; these authors among the mentioned don't seem to do that, to me.

Leseratte

It was occurred, principally, in 80's and 90's

Key names:

Interesting find, Benny. Maybe it is a less elitistic, conception of art, a kind of art with which the broad public can identify. But, if this is the case, it may also lead to a decrease of originality.

Last edited: