Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o: Petals Of Blood

kpjayan

Reader
Today, children, I am going to tell you about about the history of Mr.Blackman in three sentences. In the beginning he had the land and the mind and the soul together. On the second day, they took the body away to barter it for silver coins. On the third day, seeing that he was still fighting back, they brought priests and educators to bind his mind and soul so that these foreigners could more easily take his land and its produce."

Kenyan writer Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o , tells us the story of Kenya, on a larger scale the story of Africa , or the story of every country being ruled by colonial power for the major part of second half of last millennium.

"Edited and removed the story synopsis"

This is the Kenya after the Independence ; the colonial power ( " Christianity, commerce, civilization.; the Bible, the Coin, the Gun: Holy trinity " ) has been replaced by the indigenous 'colonist'( those who worked for the European Rulers and on their departure became the owners of the property). The strong sense of betrayal among the native Kenyans as the entire resources are controlled by few individuals. The leaders are engaging in pitting one tribe against other and celebrating the new found richness.

"Big shots from the different communities sat together and talked only in their own mother tongues... Every group talked about the danger of other groups. They were grabbing everything.. they have taken all the white highlands. Then about a month ago the groups from other communities suddenly stopped coming to the place. So the cars were fewer. Now the talk changed a little. We shall fight: we have fought before....the other communities want to reap where they never planted."

"Educators, men of letters, intellectuals; these are only voices - not neutral , disembodied voices - but belonging to bodies of persons, of groups, of interest. You, who will see the truth about words emitted by a voice, look first for the body behind the voice. The voice merely rationalizes the needs, whims, caprices, of its owner, the master. Better therefore to know the master in whose service the intellect is and you'll be able to properly evaluate the import and the imagery of utterances. .. If you would learn look about you: choose your side".

A Powerful, political story in the backdrop of a small time Kenyan Village Ilmorog, which transforms itself to a tourist town. Every inhabitants of the place have lost their land and people due to some manipulations of the few powerful individuals. Very deep , engaging and hard-hitting novel about Kenya ( and African continent in general) post independence and of its disappointments. Of the exploitation of the people by the rulers , the corruption and treachery. At first at the hands of the Europeans : "God save the queen, they sang after every massacre and then went to church for blessings and cleansing: it had always fallen to the priest to ordain human sacrifice to appease every dominant God in history". Then at the hands of the new rich and powerful political and business leaders.

Ilmorog represents the post independence transition of Kenya. it represents the ordeal of the common man. It give us a bleak view of the realities of the freedom, and the hopes of the people being shattered. Ilmorog is a metaphor of modern Kenya, faced with harsh realities. But the author definitely displays his anger, however does not provide us with any positive or bright outlook of the future. He do make few strong statements here (he was arrested and jailed in Kenya in 1978, post this novel - not sure if there are any connections with this book).

Beneath all these strong political views, lies a beautiful story supported with a sublime narrative.

Last edited:

kpjayan

Reader
Well, I tried it many ways and settled for an Indian accent ;).

This is his Official website , but no help here
http://www.ngugiwathiongo.com/

There was someone here who was doing a research on African Literature.

Or, may be Bjorn or Mbali might be able to help. My apologies ; I dont know if I can pronounce their names properly :)

Bjorn

Reader
Well, then it's a good thing you have so much to add to it. :cool:

My review of this book disappeared when the site crashed a while back, but reading the thread again I'm reminded of what an excellent read this is; he kicks it off like a thriller, revealing right away who's been murdered, who's been arrested, and who's gone mad, and then spins back the clock to briefly after the independence and starts telling us who these people are, how they ended up where we know they'll end up, and where they might get from here. His four protagonists get to embody different approaches to the problem without ever becoming mere author avatars - yes, it's a very political novel and the fact that he finished it in exile in the Soviet Union isn't a coincidence, but every character makes his or her (occasionally rather lengthy) point from his or her perspective, and it's only together that they make up a whole. Which is pretty fitting for a novel that essentially ends with The Internationale being blasted in defiance from every page.

I read Petals after reading Wizard of the Crow, and it's interesting to note the progression between the two (written 25 years apart). They're both novels of analysis rather than simple solutions, Petals is the thesis, Crow is both a disappointed examination of what happened and a revised restatement of intent; and as darkly funny as Petals is, it takes itself a lot more seriously than the picaresque but powerful satire of Crow - perhaps a little too seriously at times; I'm reminded of the old Dylan song, "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now." But it's still an excellent novel, tying together both European and African influences (in both literary and political terms) and trying to forge something new. ****0

mwangi

maybe i could be of some little help.. in Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o the initial N is somehow silent while the ũ would unfortunately be pronounced in a similar way to the vowel o as in English the ĩ has a pronunciation midway that of vowels 'e' and 'i' in English. in Thiong'o the apostrophe gives the name the sound similar in the words bang or flung in English.The wa is supposed to mean son of in Ngugi's native language Gikuyu.

bob

Actually I am reading currently this book. I am enjoying it. The Kenyanan write Ngugi and his writing belongs to postcolonial Literature.