Nobel Prize in Literature 1962

Ben Jackson

This year's Nobel Prize was awarded to John Steinbeck "for his realistic and imaginative writings, combining as they do sympathetic humour and keen social perception." Steinbeck defeated Blixen, Pound, Graves, Anouilh, Sartre and Lawrence Durell to win the Nobel Prize.

66 writers was nominated for this year's prize. Writers who would go on to win the Nobel Prize include: Sartre, George Seferis, Sholokhov, Yosef, Montale.

Osterling, in his report, confirmed that there weren't obvious candidates for Nobel Prize, which left the committee in an unenviable situation.

Pound was hailed, by committee member Henry Olsson, for his pioneering achievement in poetry, but was dismissed for his war-time activities, throwing his support for fascism. Committee, meanwhile, expressed their doubts over the works of Sartre, stressing that they weren't sure if his works had any historical importance. Blixen's death in September confirmed her lost chance of getting the Nobel, while the over-representation of French recipients and heavy presence of Sartre blocked the chances of Anouilh. Durrell's Alexandria Quartet was hailed by the Osterling, after dismissing the work in 196, but the Committee felt his masterpiece wasn't enough, so Durrell's progress was monitored.

The main debate was between Graves and Steinbeck. Graves, despite writing historical novels like I, Claudius, was seen as a poet. The committee was reluctant in awarding the Nobel to an Anglo-Saxon poet before Pound, which, unfortunately, no poet in English matched. Steinbeck's work was behind him since Grapes of Wrath, according to Osterling, but he expressed his admiration of Winter of our Discontent, a work which enabled Steinbeck to regain his position as social truth-teller, and is an authentic realist fully equal to his predecessors Sinclair Lewis and Hemingway.

I have read Ine or two books from the shortlisted writers: Steinbeck's East of Eden, a work I considered his best thus far, and Of Mice and Men, an emotional work, Pound's Hugh Selwyn Mauberley, first volume of Durrell's Quartet, Graves' Collected Poems, Blixen's Out of Africa, Sartre's The Words, Nausea, Existentialism is a Humanism. If there's anybody I would vote, it would be either Sartre or Pound, if you take away the political stance.

Last edited:

TrixRabbi

Frankly, I have to say I'm glad they opted not to award Pound. I think he thoroughly debased his own legacy and his rampant antisemitism frequently worked itself into his writing as well -- if this is a lifetime achievement award it's not as though you can just say "Well, this is for the Cantos but not all the thinly veiled stuff about usury and his blatantly fascist writings." Of course, it's a situation the modern Committee has found itself in with giving the award to Peter Handke. No matter how much they'll always adhere to the idea that the prize is not about politics but about the quality of the writing, there's no way to avoid the reality that neither literature nor politics occur in vacuums, and serving as a propagandist for the Axis feels sufficiently disqualifying in my eyes.

It's understandable that Steinbeck was a much more inconsistent writer though people still seem pretty hard on the guy, then and now. Surely at his best he wrote work deserving of the prize, even if he wound up watering down his bibliography in the intervening years. Still, seems a bit ridiculous for them to conclude that there were no other living writers in the world deserving of the prize at this time.

Ben Jackson

Some Facts

First Time Nominees:

Eyvnid Johnson
Humphrey D F Kitto
Boris Zaytsev
Andre Schwarz-Bart
Hans Erich Nossack
Manfred Haussmann
Ronald Syme
Pietro Ubaldi
Josef Carner
Jorge Guillen
Carl Zuckmayer
Vihelm Moberg
Erich Kastner
Roman Jakobson
William Heinesen

Nominees that would become Laureates:
Eyvnid Johnson (Nobel Laureate 1974)
Heinrich Boll (Nobel Laureate 1972)
Yasunari Kawabata (Nobel Laureate 1968)
Pablo Neruda (Nobel Laureate 1971)
Jean Paul Sartre (Nobel Laureate 1964)
George Seferis (Nobel Laureate 1963)
Mikhail Sholokhov (Nobel Laureate 1965)

Nominations from Academy Members:
John Steinbeck (Eyvnid Johnson)
Ignazio Silone (Elias Wessen)
George Seferis (Eyvnid Johnson)
Jean Paul Sartre (Johanes Edfelt)
Aksel Sandemose (Eyvnid Johnson)
Ezra Pound (Karl Ragner Gierow)
Erich Kastner (Henry Olsson)
Taha Hussein (Henrik S Nyberg)
Robert Graves (Harry Martinson)
Martin Buber (Elias Wessen)
Jorge Luis Borges (Henry Olsson)
Karen Blixen (Henry Olsson)
Jean Anouilh (Harry Martinson)

Nominated Women:
Karen Blixen
Gertrud Von Le Fort
Guilia Scappino Mureno

Famous Names nominated (some of these names include former finalists):
Graham GREENE
E M FORSTER
Friedrich Durrenmatt
Johan Falkberget
Max FRISCH
Robert FROST
Romulo Gallegos
Miroslav Krleza
Andre Malraux
Gabriel Marcel
Somerset MAUGHAM
Ramon Menedez Pidal
Sean Casey
Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan
Junichiro TANKZAKi
Heimito Von Doderer
Thornton Wilder
Miguel Torga

Books highlighted by the Committee:
John Steinbeck: Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, Cannery Row, The Pearl, Winter of our Discontent, Travels with Charley, Tortilla Flat
Karen Blixen: Out of Africa, Shadown on the Grass, Anecdotes of Destiny, Winter Tales
Robert Graves: Poems, I Claudius, Count Belisarius, Greek Myths, Goodbye to All That, White Goddess
Ezra Pound: Cantos, Hugh Selwyn Mauberley, Persona, Ripostes, Exultations
Jean Anouilh: Becket, Antigone, Traveler Without Luggage, Lark, Thieves' Carnival, Invitation to Ho
Lawrence Durrell: Alexandrian Quartet, Black Book, Reflections on Marine of Venus, Prospero's Cell
Jean Paul Sartre: Nausea, Being and Nothingness, Roads to Freedom Trilogy, Existentialism and Humanism, The Flies, No Exit, Wall and Other Stories

Nobel Committee Members:
Eyvnid Johnson
Anders Osterling
Henry Olsson
Sigfried Siwertz
Hjalmar Gullberg

Edit: checking out the nomination of Alberto Moravia, I found out that the nominator was Ingmar Bergman (seems like he's the famed movie director).

Leseratte

Frankly, I have to say I'm glad they opted not to award Pound. I think he thoroughly debased his own legacy and his rampant antisemitism frequently worked itself into his writing as well -- if this is a lifetime achievement award it's not as though you can just say "Well, this is for the Cantos but not all the thinly veiled stuff about usury and his blatantly fascist writings." Of course, it's a situation the modern Committee has found itself in with giving the award to Peter Handke. No matter how much they'll always adhere to the idea that the prize is not about politics but about the quality of the writing, there's no way to avoid the reality that neither literature nor politics occur in vacuums, and serving as a propagandist for the Axis feels sufficiently disqualifying in my eyes.

It's understandable that Steinbeck was a much more inconsistent writer though people still seem pretty hard on the guy, then and now. Surely at his best he wrote work deserving of the prize, even if he wound up watering down his bibliography in the intervening years. Still, seems a bit ridiculous for them to conclude that there were no other living writers in the world deserving of the prize at this time.
Ideology and literature can´t be separated as the first shapes the second.