Nobel Prize in Literature 2008

Mirabell

Former Member
Yes!
I forgot to mention him earlier alongside Roth and DeLillo
(by the way, I keep mentioning DeLillo while I'm not so crazy about his work- apart from Underworld, that is. Anyway.)

Also, I forgot to ask earlier:
Mirabell, I am not familiar with Lessing at all- would you mind elaborating a bit on why she is so influential, if you have the time?

Speaking from Frankfurt during its annual international book fair, Jane Friedman, president and chief executive of HarperCollins, which has published Ms. Lessing in the United States and Britain for the last 20 years, said that ?for women and for literature, Doris Lessing is a mother to us all.?
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/11/world/11cnd-nobel.html?_r=1&scp=5&sq=doris lessing&st=cse

joyce carol oates, another one of those writers whose work bears a heavy Lessing influence wrote this in the 1970s
Yet it is natural, I suppose, for her not to know or to guess how much The Golden Notebook (predating and superseding even the most sophisticated of all the "women's liberation" works) meant to young women of my generation; how beautifully the craftsmanship of her many short stories illuminated lives, the most secret and guarded of private lives, in a style that was never self-conscious or contrived. She could not gauge how The Four-Gated City, evidently a difficult novel for her to write, would work to transform our consciousness not only of the ecological disaster we are facing, the self-annihilating madness of our society which brands its critics as "mad," but also of the possibilities of the open form of the novel itself. Never superficially experimental, Mrs. Lessing's writing is profoundly experimental?exploratory?in its effort to alter our expectations about life and about the range of our own consciousness.
Her books, especially the Martha Quest series, The Golden Notebook, and Briefing for a Descent into Hell, have traced an evolutionary progress of the soul, which to some extent transforms the reader as he reads. I think it is true of our greatest writers that their effect on us is delayed, that it may take years for us to understand what they have done to us. Doris Lessing possesses a unique sensitivity, writing out of her own intense experience, her own subjectivity, but at the same time writing out of the spirit of the times. This is a gift that cannot be analyzed; it must only be honored.
Joyce Carol Oates - A Visit with Doris Lessing

sara

Reader
Thanks for all those links, Mirabell!

However, I was more interested in your opinion on how female writers have been influenced by Lessing, if it's not much to ask. :)

Eric

Former Member
Could not the small and overworked team of Swedes nevertheless reach out beyond the big mainstream names, often writing in English, and look to other continents and even within the European one to people writing in the former Soviet Bloc? Poland has done well in this respect, but many countries in Eastern & Central Europe have never had a Nobel prizewinner.

I've nothing against Oates (or Lessing for that matter), but many of the names bandied about as maybe the next winner do come from a fairly narrow set of authors, whose names surface again and again.

I remember that people used to laugh at the Nobel committee that they used to try and pick a totally unexpected outsider, thus making it fun to bet on the winner as in a horse race. But nowadays, they seem to have gone to the other extreme. A kind of queue seems to have formed, with people who "ought to" win the Nobel because they've been in it for so long. Both Le Cl?zio and Lessing were that kind of winner. And Vargas Llosa keeps getting mentioned as a hopeful.

Does the Nobel committee spread its net wide enough?