Nobel Prize in Literature 2011 Speculation

Liam

Administrator
Hmm, makes me wonder: there's no such collection in the US, perhaps it's the British version of her selected poems (published in 2 volumes this side of the pond)?

Thirst is her only "Christian" collection, written right after she lost her partner of many years, Molly Malone Cook. If you don't fancy religious poetry, you should skip it (although it does have many wonderful poems).

errequatro

Reader
I was (still am), very angry, and in dismay with this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/boo...prize-literature-tomas-transtromer?CMP=twt_gu in the Guardian, a newspaper for which I had some respect.

This is probably the WORST article I have even read. It's not only morallistic, it's also wrong and judgemental. Since when are political preferences, sexual preferences, nationalities and even the fact that some authors commited suicide, grounds in which anyone (nobel or not) should be judged?

INFURIATING!

lenz

Reader
It's a fluff piece. Staffer, who probably has better things to do, told to throw together something brainless about Nobel Prize - she does.

I was (still am), very angry, and in dismay with this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/boo...prize-literature-tomas-transtromer?CMP=twt_gu in the Guardian, a newspaper for which I had some respect.

This is probably the WORST article I have even read. It's not only morallistic, it's also wrong and judgemental. Since when are political preferences, sexual preferences, nationalities and even the fact that some authors commited suicide, grounds in which anyone (nobel or not) should be judged?

INFURIATING!

Mildly amusing, well researched enough for its purpose (no glaringly obvious howlers that I could spot, apart from neglecting to mention that Sartre declined the award - DRAMA!), and mostly spot on. Particularly the bit about the deservedly forgotten Scandinavian realists of the prize's early days being unworthy winners, the inordinate number of exiles/expats among the winners, and the dearth of bolder, more experimental laureates in recent years. I object to the complaints about the prize not being evently spread along genders/Continents/languages (i.e. tokenistic) enough, but I also realise that's a minority view.

(Implicitly) bashing the Swedish Academy on account of Hamsun arguably unfair in that his pro-Nazi statements were made long after he was awarded the prize.

Last edited:

Daniel del Real

INFURIATING!

The worse article trying to disqualify the Nobel prize I've ever read in my whole life. It's just crap.

errequatro

Reader
It is, isn't? I mean, some of the things are personal attacks and the bit where it is mentioned that several commited suicide... What has that to do with anything?

Cumprimentos,
Daniel.