Nobel Prize in Literature 2011 Speculation

Liam

Administrator
Relax, Dan, it shall all be known in the light of morning... I will check the news quickly before leaving for work, but won't have a chance to gossip about it until I come home in the evening, damn it!

voytek

Let's say I were to place money at Ladbrokes on a single author (Adonis, for instance). What do you think would happen if the Nobel committee decided to award a joint prize (to Adonis and Oz, for instance)? Btw, I'm aware that joint prize is highly unlikely.

I see three possible results:

1. I lose my money because I bet on Adonis, while the prize was awarded to Adonis and Oz.
2. I win half the money I would have won had Adonis only been awarded the prize.
3. I win the full amount because Adonis won (regardless of joint laureate).

Does Ladbrokes outline its policy regarding such an event?

Daniel del Real

Let's say I were to place money at Ladbrokes on a single author (Adonis, for instance). What do you think would happen if the Nobel committee decided to award a joint prize (to Adonis and Oz, for instance)? Btw, I'm aware that joint prize is highly unlikely.

I see three possible results:

1. I lose my money because I bet on Adonis, while the prize was awarded to Adonis and Oz.
2. I win half the money I would have won had Adonis only been awarded the prize.
3. I win the full amount because Adonis won (regardless of joint laureate).

Does Ladbrokes outline its policy regarding such an event?

I guess that Ladbrokes policy is "We never lose unless Dylan wins"

anchomal

Reader
I would think that if you back Adonis and he is a shared winner then Ladbrokes would have to pay out. But who knows? Bookies are better than lawyers at finding loopholes.
If it turns out not to be Dylan then whatever leak problems the Academy had a few years back would appear to have been resolved. Following the betting movements alone (Dylan's dramatic rise apart) it'd be difficult to pick a winner. One thing that seems obvious to me from watching all the jostling for position, and noting the names farther down the list, is just how many writers in the world would be worthy winners. If this has been so throughout the prize's history then there must be thousands of forgotten greats.

Rumpelstilzchen

Former Member
Tranströmer is at the top of the Ladbrokes list now!! And Amos Oz is going up... the last minute leak hunting has begun...

Last edited:

peter_d

Reader
Yes, Tranströmer is the most likely candidate now with 15 minutes before the announcement. The winner has already been informed and celebrating in silence.

Diotima

Reader
[h=3]Tomas Tranströmer[/h]

The Nobel Prize in Literature 2011 was awarded to Tomas Tranströmer "because, through his condensed, transluscent images, he gives us fresh access to reality".

Diotima

Reader
Tomas Tranströmer

The Nobel Prize in Literature 2011 was awarded to Tomas Tranströmer "because, through his condensed, transluscent images, he gives us fresh access to reality".

Rumpelstilzchen

Former Member
Again? It's been a long long time since a Swede won, as Peter Englund just explained. I think there's nothing wrong with this choice. No big surprise, though, which is a bit of a disappointment to me.

what do you mean, a country with ~10 million people having 8 nobel prize winners in literature? And by coincidence this is the country where the jury sits... of course Tranströmer cannot be blamed (the same is true for current academy members) that it is the 8th Nobel prize for Sweden... considering the overall number there is someone wrong... well, ok one could say, there was something wrong in the past... I also know that it has been some time, I just think it is not very wise to give it again to a European and to someone from Sweden makes it even more problematic... of course he is worth it, so one cannot really complain...

Last edited:
Is it me, or the phrase they used to say why they granted the prize is getting worse and worse every year?

It's always very tacky, in a middlebrow sort of way. Fitting of the award.

what do you mean, a country with ~10 million people having 8 nobel prize winners in literature? And by coincidence this is the country where the jury sits... I also know that it has been some time, I just think it is not very wise to give it again to a European and to someone from Sweden makes it even more problematic... of course he is worth it, so one cannot really complain...

That year when the academy gave the award to itself was worse.

A white European male. Lulz. Suck it, tokenists.